What IS the point of a 360?

jaxton

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought my Xbox 360 excited at the thought of the new games types that would be coming out for this super powerful console.:D

My first purchase was Oblivion, and 'well', I thought, this is pretty amazing; 16sq miles of beautiful and varied landscapes to explore, hundreds of quests, hundreds of different characters, amazing graphics, good physics. A game that you can really make your own (though its limited to 'hack' and 'slash' that is).:clap:

I have downloaded loads of arcade games and I must say some of these are great for their simplicity and addictiveness.:rolleyes:

BUT I have downloaded every game video and demo available, and I have to say it just seems to be reams and reams of the same old tosh that was released for previous consoles.:boring:

What a disapointment. :suicide:

well thats the bussines its been no diff from one console to another throught the ages (apart from the advent of 3d, and xbox live on the first xbox - and i dont rate the dc online service as it wasn't very good)

from the nes to the snes all the same games only better looking, same with the master system to the mega drive the psx to the ps2.

ewan

Your a fool to believe that the 360 or PS3 is "NEXT GEN" as they tout. 360 and PS3 will have the same games with better graphics. The only good thing about XBOX 360 is XBOX LIVE and ARCADE. Because it realise it better to play an old school with actually gameplay instead of one that has flashy graphics. So next time try to research whatever you want to buy first before you spend another 300 quid on something else you don't know abiut.

Simple, if your not happy with it take it back to the shop and get a refund. PS3 wont be giving you anything new neither only the Wii may but it could be a novelty that wears thin pretty quickly.

Tbh seeing the games that are coming this fall i personally will be more than happy with the console after a average start. Hell id keep the console for oblivion but thats just me :)

yes I agree. It's worth keeping the Xbox 360 just for Oblivion. I'm just hoping that there'll be some more games really worth buying in the future. Yeah, great graphics, but the vast majority of the new games just seem like repetition.:(

Not many games on any platform are inovative anymore. its all a rehash of something done before its something we have to live with. Im playing a sequel of a game if its worth playing ive found that moaning gets no where tbh just enjoy the games for what they are.

thing is, it doesnt have to be different to be worth playing......look at HL and HL2, they dont do a lot more than anything else before them....why are they such amazing and well received games then? simple, they take care to put in the sort of finishing touches people like to see.......the game is even more linear than linear can get....yet its a game so many people loved playing and have often replayed.....

Also its modability gave it enduring appeal as well.....something that has been missing on consoles, ok more recent stuff lets you use a basic setup to create race routes on PGR3 etc, but its still very limited compared to the SDK you get with HL/2........once they let people make mods/maps etc for console games, then you'll find the console games becoming better made, because if the fans can do it, then the design houses have no excuse...heh

if you dont like it take it back and get a refund, no harm done!! once the ps3 comes out though itll be party time!! cause all the 3rd party developers will be fully focused on the next gen (including 360) rather than having to cater for the ps2 as much, microsoft will be raising there game to combat the ps3 as well hopefully, consoles are crap more often than not in their first year, not that i think 360 has been crap, i would say average 6/10 for its first year imo, does anyone remember how dire the ps2 or xbox was in the first year (excluding halo). if you want a truly fresh gameplay experience get a nintendo ds or a wii.

i think i know were your coming from, i'm feeling a little let down at the minute. I have money to spend but nothing to buy! having said that Ghost Recon is totally amazing!!!!!

I just want a really good driving game!

LIVE is where it's at if you can find the right game. I got Call of Duty 2 for Christmas, played for a week then I was bored of it. Tried it on LIVE and I'm still playing it now nearly every night eight months later.

T800 said:
LIVE is where it's at if you can find the right game. I got Call of Duty 2 for Christmas, played for a week then I was bored of it. Tried it on LIVE and I'm still playing it now nearly every night eight months later.
Totally agree, it was the same with fifa world cup, on live it really extended the replay value.

I must say that I find the question posed an odd one really. The main point of the 360 is as a games console. It performs this point very well IMO with a reasonable selection of good titles to cater for most tastes -

RPG - Oblivion (best single player RPG i've played)
Racing - PGR3, MotoGP, Burnout, RR6 and soon Forza 2 and TDU
Sports - Madden, FIFA, Table Tennis, Top Spin2, FNRD3, Tiger Woods & soon PES6!
FPS - COD2, BF2, Prey, Quake 4, PDZ, Condemned
TPS - GRAW, soon R6: Vegas
Adventure/Platform - Tomb Raider, Kameo
Sandbox - Saints Row, Dead rising - both soon
Beat em Up - DOA4, SF2HF
Strategy/RTS - LOTR-BFME2

For a console that has only been out 8 months and has barely got out of launch window, that's pretty damn good. You can't expect much stuff to be different to the previous gen consoles (apart from a tart up) at the moment as it's those consoles where all the sales are.

From this next wave of games (not there are over 5 million 360's out there) we will see more and more dedicated, full on next gen titles that really start to push the machine.

Anyone not excited by Forza 2, GOW or next gen PES has to question whether they are really into gaming at all any more.

As has been mentioned above - the New Live with gamerpoints, achivements etc., Marketplace and arcade really take this console forward beyond what has been in the past.

To get new, creative, original games takes time, money and risk. Guess how many production companies like risk?

It is difficult to innovate when everything, in essence, has been done to some degree before. One innovation of the 360 is being in HD - and I've played old XBox titles and the Gamecube on my new telly, and can't believe how dated they look in comparison.

Then I look at what games I currently have (full-priced titles and arcade), what ones I've played and traded in and more importantly what's to come - and to be honest what's to come is the scary thing, it's an endless list of games that I want to own (Forza 2, PES6, Saints Row, Gears of War - the list goes on and on).

Add to that the possible purchase of the camera and the HD-DVD add-on and I personally think you've got a very versatile and desirable piece of kit.

Toasty said:
To get new, creative, original games takes time, money and risk. Guess how many production companies like risk?

totally agree with you there mate, which is why we get sequel after sequel.

Yeah. There are one or two new games that look like they might be taking significant steps forward.:thumbsup:

CRYSIS is one. But I say this only because the physics is actually starting to look realistic.:D

But, guess what. They're not bring Crysis out for the Xbox 360.:suicide:

Its madness!!!!:confused:

rio1981 said:
Then I look at what games I currently have (full-priced titles and arcade), what ones I've played and traded in and more importantly what's to come - and to be honest what's to come is the scary thing, it's an endless list of games that I want to own (Forza 2, PES6, Saints Row, Gears of War - the list goes on and on).

Add to that the possible purchase of the camera and the HD-DVD add-on and I personally think you've got a very versatile and desirable piece of kit.
------------------

Have you played the demo of saints row? its just a poor mans GTA, and with a ropy frame rate :( - i hope they fix the framerate for full version, but imo not only does it not offer much new, i dont think it looks very nice either, bland graphics and the damage models are not very exciting at all.

agree with you on the others tho, there are some tasty games on the horizon.

jaxton said:
Yeah. There are one or two new games that look like they might be taking significant steps forward.:thumbsup:

CRYSIS is one. But I say this only because the physics is actually starting to look realistic.:D

But, guess what. They're not bring Crysis out for the Xbox 360.:suicide:

Its madness!!!!:confused:
How do you know this ? They have not confirmed nor denied this yet so i wouldnt cry just yet.

I recall about 2 years + ago a couple of months after far cry was released they said that a console version was not likely and look we got one for both the xbox and the xbox 360 ;)

There is to much money to be potentially gained in a cross platform release to not go for it and especially since EA have a nice stake in ubisoft i bet crysis will see light of day on the 360 and ps3 :smashin: Its all about income, imagine how hyped it will get knowing something that pretty and that well praised by the pc community will get when the console fanboy maniac's hear of it !?! it will sell a crap load of units before its anywere near release.

MikeKay1976 said:
------------------

Have you played the demo of saints row? its just a poor mans GTA, and with a ropy frame rate :( - i hope they fix the framerate for full version, but imo not only does it not offer much new, i dont think it looks very nice either, bland graphics and the damage models are not very exciting at all.

Well it's already been stated that framerate issues will be fixed for the final build - but as for a poor man's GTA... :rolleyes:

Put GTA in after a bash on the demo and tell me what you'd currently rather play. SR is a much prettier and crisper game, and besides, the demo is only that, a demo. The full game is likely to be very well received.

rio1981 said:
Well it's already been stated that framerate issues will be fixed for the final build - but as for a poor man's GTA... :rolleyes:

Put GTA in after a bash on the demo and tell me what you'd currently rather play. SR is a much prettier and crisper game, and besides, the demo is only that, a demo. The full game is likely to be very well received.

I agree entirely - i'd say it's more a rich mans GTA :D.

Saw some more footage of it on Gamer TV on Sunday and it looks great. Loved the demo and i'm sure that when you also factor in the online modes, this will be a great game! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom