What is the Pioneer VSX 1017a like?

My boss has one of the above amps for sale for £170. I know it's only about a year old. What I want to know is how good are they and how good a price is that?

Thanks

Davy

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It was (is) a good amp, THX cert (not that it matters), plenty of power, good reviews (won a HCC group test) but no HDMI audio capability so not really an ideal partner for the PS3 (no HD audio) but at £170, I would say it's still a good buy. A new HD audio amp wouldn't cost much more (Sony 820) than that but the VSX1017 should still sound good with vanilla DD5.1/DTS over optical/digi-coax and should probably be more than a match for it, HD audio or not. It really depends if you want HD audio and a degree of futureproofing. I can't remember the rest of the specs but the Pioneer site should have a link to the online manual and you should be able to see the HCC review at the techradar site in the reviews archive.

Edit - just checked the techradar site (bored on shift) and it's not listed and remember why! HCC stated it had LPCM capability but it didn't..... they must have removed it!! It was up against the Yamaha 861 and CA 540R V2 IIRC in late 2007. There should be an owners or discussion thread, try a search.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom