What is the 'minimum' AV I can get away with?

SonicHedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound like I am doing this on the cheap, but it's more to do with not going over the top.

I have a Quad 99/909 and MA GS20 set up already. Thanks to advice on this forum I intend to get an AV amp with pre-outs to allow me to power the GS20s using the 909 and leave the AV amp to deal with the other speakers. I currently looking for a matching centre and am close to deciding on MA RS1/RS5 rears. My question is, how much amplifier do I need for this lot? My room is not huge (5m x 4m at the widest points). I'm looking at second hand amps that were last year's model. Things like the Sony 2400ES which has 100w per channel seems sufficient although I am aware that the GS range is compatible with far more expensive electronics.

Just for info, I am on a budget (£7-800ish) which will get hammered by a second hand GSLCR so I'm after practical advice rather than pure audiophile advice, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Just wanted to add the question, would I be better going to an older amp that was very good in its day like the Denon AVC A1 which can be had for similar money to the Sony or have things moved on so far that the Sony is a better amp?

Just wanted to add the question, would I be better going to an older amp that was very good in its day like the Denon AVC A1 which can be had for similar money to the Sony or have things moved on so far that the Sony is a better amp?

Hi mate, it depends if you want the latest in surround decoding or not.

The Denon AVC A1 is a monster amp but won't offer HD Audio, unless you have an alternative decoder.

Their have been huge advances in surround sound technology since the AVC-A1 was launched and personally i would miss this.

Seeing as your room is not massive, i wouldn't suggest you'd need the power of the AVC-A1 anyway. Plus to get the full benefit of the Amp you'll need the THX certified speakers etc too, which does make it a very expensive route.

Rodd

The technology comment is a very valid one. So in that case I'm looking at one of last year's receivers at the oldest. Anyone care to make a recommendation?

Have a look at the Denon AVR 2310 or Sony Strda2400es both get great reviews and last years models so there are some bargains around.

The Denon is a level above the Sony, but both sound fantastic, I can personally vouch for the Sony.

Rodd

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Both of those get 5 stars in What HiFi. If I can help it I would rather not stretch to the Denon as the best price for that is about £600 and that won't leave me much for speakers. The Sony, on the other hand, can be had for much less and your recommendation is just the kind of post I was looking for. Can I ask what speakers you have?

I'm very limited for space so opted for the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS speakers. I know they are small, but they sound absolutely huge. Full credit to the Sub, I just set the subs crossover to the satellites lowest frequency (which is maximum) and volume half way, and it produces a great sound stage.The rear effects and centre dialogue are faultless.

Rodd

Thanks again. You know, you've got me thinking whether I would be better off just getting a style speaker package instead of the RS5s and a GSLCR. I want to buy most, if not all, of this stuff second hand and so it's a bit tricky demoing kit and then not buying. Need to do some thinking.

One last question, Rodd. How big is your room? I'm wondering if those speakers of yours might have enoug clout to fill mine.

My room is around 4m x 8m, but the seating and listening area is 4x4, the other half has the dining table etc.

I did audition the more expensive Q Acoustics 2000 cinema pack at the same time which sounded probably better in the large auditioning room (around 7mx8m), but i guessed at home i wouldnt notice the difference so much, and i was right. :)

I honestly couldn't recommend the Boston Acoustics enough, for the overall sound, size and cost they are amazing.

Also consider the Yamaha RX-V2065. This is sits above the Denon 2310 and has been heavily discounted. It retailed in excess of GBP1,000 and can be had for just over £600 brand new and boxed.

Yamaha RXV2065

I've purchased from Peter Tyson and they are very good. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom