what is the LCD considered reliability ?

cjb

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am still sitting on the fence , wondering if I should buy a LCD now or wait another year. Having almost decided on a Tosh 32/37wlt66 I find a newer better model appears.
My main concern is I don't know anyone in my circle who has LCD yet.
Apart from the obvious rogue that any mass produced item produces, what is the overall expectation of life expectancy for the average user ( 8 hrs per day) and is the new bogie of backlight leakage or complete failure a common problem on all TV of this type ?
I am restricting myself to LCD because I don't want bigger than 37"
I would be interested to hear from any repair bods who see the overall picture (haha).

Just go Buy one ! don't waste money on extra insurance, I guarentee You it will Last longer than You will keep it !, theres nothing in them ! a couple of Little boards, no line output transformers to burn out etc..

Give You one bit of good advice ,Buy the next size up from what You think You want..;)

i work in a store and sell lcd's all day, out of every 100 we sell i'd say we get maybe 1 back with problems.

out of the brands we sell, ive never had a panasonic or toshiba returned. we've had a bravia returned recently, and a few sharps and samsungs. but we're shifting fair numbers, about 40-60 a month

i work in a store and sell lcd's all day, out of every 100 we sell i'd say we get maybe 1 back with problems.

out of the brands we sell, ive never had a panasonic or toshiba returned. we've had a bravia returned recently, and a few sharps and samsungs. but we're shifting fair numbers, about 40-60 a month

Thats the sort of informed reply I was hoping for. many thanks. Is the extended warranty worth it or what is the average repair cost ?

Don't ask a shop Guy that one..they make more money on insurance than the products..;)

If things continue as they are Your 40" will be 50% of the price You paid in a Years time, the Tosh 47" was about £2800 5 monts ago now £1400 2 Years will make it about the same cost as the insurance You are eager to buy now

This technology is moving so fast You will love it and move on next Year or so

Good Luck

If you're still in doubt, buy the TV from John Lewis. Get them to price match the in-store advertised price of any bricks and mortar store with stock and get a free 5-year guarantee thrown in.

If you're still in doubt, buy the TV from John Lewis. Get them to price match the in-store advertised price of any bricks and mortar store with stock and get a free 5-year guarantee thrown in.

Ok Thanks. I had considered JL and I heard they price match, but will they honestly match the price and then give a free 5yr ... or do they add £250 to the unwarrented price ??

I have been looking into a LCD as well, but I am on a tight budget so I have been considering it very carefully. What I have found is that is a lot of compatibality issues exist even within the standards laid down, particularly between different manufacturers. Input devices, conectors and resolutions. Hopefully these will be ironed out. Also, In 12 months time all the LCD's will be higher resolution and better contrast, lower latency and most importantly cheaper. I got a mailshot at work for a 37 inch for 399. I also saw a 6000:1 contrast panel today. Things are moving quickly in terms of model specs. What this could mean apart from the obvious, If you get one now chances are that if it goes wrong out of warranty, the parts will be very hard to find as it will be discontinued models. Could be that in 12 months all new LCD's will be 1080p , 2 ms latency and 6000:1 contrast, worth the wait?

I have been looking into a LCD as well, but I am on a tight budget so I have been considering it very carefully. What I have found is that is a lot of compatibality issues exist even within the standards laid down, particularly between different manufacturers. Input devices, conectors and resolutions. Hopefully these will be ironed out. Also, In 12 months time all the LCD's will be higher resolution and better contrast, lower latency and most importantly cheaper. I got a mailshot at work for a 37 inch for 399. I also saw a 6000:1 contrast panel today. Things are moving quickly in terms of model specs. What this could mean apart from the obvious, If you get one now chances are that if it goes wrong out of warranty, the parts will be very hard to find as it will be discontinued models. Could be that in 12 months all new LCD's will be 1080p , 2 ms latency and 6000:1 contrast, worth the wait?

Oooooh!! that will only make me sit on the fence longer.
If we never jump on the bandwagon we will always be spectators.. but I know what u mean.
I understood that 1080 was only relevant to the larger 42"+ screens as the smaller ones couldn't relay the extra lines anyway.
But we all know whatever we buy today will be cheaper tommorrow.
Having been a PC field engineer for many years, I know the early laptops suffered many display problems, so what I really worry about is the reliabilty of those little pixel things.

OH DEAR !!!
I just latched onto the Tosh wlt66 thread.
Now that is scary. and I thought only Bees buzzed.

I was going to buy but I've decided to wait a while. I don't have an X box,or HD sat receiver and my CRT gives good SD pictures.

OH DEAR !!!
I just latched onto the Tosh wlt66 thread.
Now that is scary. and I thought only Bees buzzed.

I dont think the buzzing is happening on the units now shipping. I got my new 32WLT66 2 days ago, got the backlight down at 48 and not even a hint of a buzz. The Xbox 360 is very very pretty and even freeview is good quality. Just go get one! I paid £599 + £109 for 3 year warranty. All is good!

Thats the sort of informed reply I was hoping for. many thanks. Is the extended warranty worth it or what is the average repair cost ?

as an honest sales guy and a enthusiast on all home entertainment products i would never sell an extended warranty on anything, they're a complete waste of time and money!

i would never buy one so neither should my customers, well, thats how i look at it

with so many stores now giving them away for free now days, just shop around and longevity for your set is thrown in for free!

good luck

I dont think the buzzing is happening on the units now shipping. I got my new 32WLT66 2 days ago, got the backlight down at 48 and not even a hint of a buzz. The Xbox 360 is very very pretty and even freeview is good quality. Just go get one! I paid £599 + £109 for 3 year warranty. All is good!

Thanks for that, but I think the buzz only occurs on the 37" which is the one I was really tempted by.
However, there's a danger here we will overun the other thread so I think we wil end this here and I will just have to go for it.. or not !!

Thanks for all replies. Happy Holidays ( or should that be Merry CHRISTMAS ).

Ok Thanks. I had considered JL and I heard they price match, but will they honestly match the price and then give a free 5yr ... or do they add £250 to the unwarrented price ??
The answer to this question is already in my post.
Get them to price match the in-store advertised price of any bricks and mortar store with stock and get a free 5-year guarantee thrown in.
....and before you ask - yes it is genuine. Unlike the offerings from other stores, this extended warranty is just that - an extension of the warranty. It does not include, for example, accidental damage cover (which, for most people is unnecessary anyway as they already have this in their home contents cover).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom