what is the ideal height for wall mounted surrounds?

Supra

Established Member
Reaction score
As per post title, what is thge ideal height for wall mounted surrounds?

I have uptil now been using kef q55.2s (floorstanders) for surround duties. I have just today purchased a pair of cdm snts to match my fronts.

I have read lots of posts, with varying information and opinions in regard to the ideal height.

Anyone have any opinions from real world experience.

I am considering puting them at just above light switch height as installer 09 has done, what do you think?
:lease:

thanks beatie boy, I have seen the dolby article, but sometimes the real world experience is different.

I will probably try varying heights, I just didn.t want to have loads of holes to fill up.

I will wait till tomorrow to try out, 2 foot above just seems to high. maybe thats because I have been used to having floorstanders as rears.

Originally posted by Supra
2 foot above just seems to high.

Mine are about 2.5 feet above my head when seated.

and of course different designs and different rooms will tend to suit different height configs....

ad

Right it looks like 2- 2.5 feet above ear level seems to be a popular choice. Now is the measured from the tweeter?

sorry for the extra questions, just trying to get it aall right.

thanks for the replies so far

:thumbsup:

Unless your speakers have really large tweeters, I don't think a few inches higher or lower is going to make any difference.

yeah, i would consider all measurements to be taken from a tweeter since it is the part producing the most directional sounds

ad

Right 2 feet(60cm) from tweeter to ear it is. Now to go and set it up, more mess.

Thanks for all your help peeps:thumbsup:

All done, wow, what a differnce.

I wish I had done this sooner, wall mounted does give a more enveloping sound, next weekend I will try 6.1 and 7.1 with the kefs running the rear channels, until I get hold of another snt or two:thumbsup:

Now I will stop and have :beer: , then re set all the speakers.

Thanks again for all the help :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom