What is the ideal Distance for watching Television/ Projection TV?

J

Jazzartist

Hallo There Folks,

I have always asked myself and Tv experts the question what is the ideal Distance for Watching TV/ Projection TV/ Projector. This piece of information is vital for my next purchase I was on the verge of buying 43 Inch Toshiba and finnaly Bought Mitsubishi 37 Inch CRT . I like Big screen but dont have satisfactory answer so its keeping me from Buying one. My present TV Roomsize is 19 Feet by 16 Feet . My viewing distance is about 14 feet maximum . I have option of shifting to another room having size 26 feet by 16 feet. Also iof I switch house then the room size can change. Can anyone please inform me what is the theory about viewing distance and safty concerns?

Jazzartist

From what I have heard, the optimum viewing distance is 6 times the picture height for standard definition TV. For critical viewing it is 4 times the picture height and I'd say 9 times is about the farthest you can sit without the screen being way too small. The latter is my personal opinion though and takes into account my submarine window glasses, which reduce the surroundings by several percent. :)

There are several different ways of determining this, but I think the simplest answer is that you sit as close as you can until the line structure of the display becomes visible. So the quality of display (and source) you choose effects the viewing distance.

Yummy Fur

To get the most cinematic experience then the picture needs to occupy 30% of your field of view. It's also best to talk in terms of screen widths rather than heights, since the width is uaffected by differing aspect ratios.
A simple answer is twice the screen width, since this equates to 28% of your field of view. Of course this depends upon the resolution of your display, if you can see the structure of the picture then you're too close.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom