1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the HDMI criteria?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Faust, Jul 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    Can anyone give a definitive answer to the HDMI debate? Most of us on this forum know that where possible it is best to buy a t.v. with the HDMI DVI connectors, if only for future proofing. However, just what criteria will HDMI incorporating HDCP be used for. What I am trying to ascertain and perhaps explaining myself quite badly is this - is it simply the film studios who are likely to make use of HDCP and perhaps certain sporting events, or will it be used by all broadcasters? If it is simply going to be used for protecting movies from piracy then is it really the issue it's made out to be. Example - my own situation, I rarely watch a movie whether it be from Sky or a DVD. 98% of what I watch is broadcast television, with a large proportion of that coming from the BBC. Would it really make any difference to me if I bought a panel without HDMI giving my viewing habits? I mean are the BBC or any of the other terrestrial broadcasters for that matter likely to broadcast their material even if it is in Hi Def at some point in the future using HDCP technology? If not, then for people like myself is this really a non issue. It really is about time this issue was spelled out to the public instead of the confusion we have at present. Even if a panel does not support HDMI, most support component, which give a pretty nifty picture.

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I suppose if your not at all interest in future HD-DVD / Blueray and games consoles (i remember reading your not a gamer) then it might not be as important. As for broadcast HD, who knows? They might require HDCP, they might not.
    For me, HDMI / DVI+(HDCP) was a requirement as i am interested in the above things, but even if i wasnt i think i would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I believe HDCP will become more of an issue all round, so it wouldn't necessarily hurt to look for a set with it rather than one without - esp if you plan on sticking with CRT for the forseeable future, even HD ones that MAY be released in the UK (very doubtable though).

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Faust,

The longer you wait to make your purchase, the less of an issue this is going to be.

There will come a time (quite soon) when it'll be difficult to buy an LCD panel that isn't HDMI equipped, so I wouldn't torture yourself over this, unless you've got eyes for one of the nearly obsolete current Panasonics or Sonys.

Jimmy

5. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you want HDTV and Sky then you need HDMI or DVI for anything other than (possibly) the initial version of the Sky box.

If you are only interested in a cheap terrestial only TV for the short term future then forget the digital inputs.

If you are paying out for a LCD panel it would seem that you may be interested in HDTV - even if you are not, you may wish to sell it in the future!

How long do you expect the panel to last - I would want much more than 3 years! By then terrestial analogue is closing down, HDTV will be common on both Sky & DVD.

The additional cost to get a HD Ready TV is becoming marginal except for the older panels that are now, IMHO, starting to be dumped on the market because very soon Sky will be pushing HDTV and nobody will want anything without that magic "HD Ready" label.

Bill

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    Hi there Jimmy,

I'm smitten, follow this link and you will see why http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223842 I feel sure you won't agree with my findings, but take it from me the findings are genuine. Look especially at posts 39 and 41.