What is the HD Hand Shake

fuzzys

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi I am still having blackouts on HD channels and its a Pace 2009 version. Can you please explain to me whats this hand shake?

PS I dont have an amplifier but all the connections are through HDMI for my Sky HD box, scart for Virgin Media box and 3 colours for my DVD Player in which my Sky HD is connected thorugh for the audio if I wan to listen in 5.1 and nintendo wii which is again connected to the DVD Player.

Last edited:
Basically, when connected by HDMI, source and display "talk" to each other for a few seconds (handshake) so that the source outputs in the most appropriate format for the display.

That's assuming that you've left the system to sort itself out (auto) and not manually set anything.

Hope this helps.

Basically, when connected by HDMI, source and display "talk" to each other for a few seconds (handshake) so that the source outputs in the most appropriate format for the display.

That's assuming that you've left the system to sort itself out (auto) and not manually set anything.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help would you be able to guide me through on how to do this as my Pace box sometimes has a blackout moment which is very intermitent?

Thanks for the help would you be able to guide me through on how to do this as my Pace box sometimes has a blackout moment which is very intermitent?

There's nothing to "do", yours will be on "auto" unless you've done something very deliberate and specific with the EDID information on the display which most TVs can't do anyway.

Sounds like a dodgy HDMI cable to me.

No, thats NOT the full problem, Choddo.

Pace HD boxes seem to have issues with HDMI handshake connecting to some TVs (Panasonic and Pioneer certainly are included - though not all models are effected the same). There are several threads on here discussing these from quite a few viewers who have experienced them.

And this happens when set to 1080 i - as our box is all the time.

As a for instance, last night on three separate occasions we went black screen in the middle of watching a programme - over a three hour period.

The 1080 i message appeared top left screen (as it does when resolutions change) on our Panasonic 37 PX 60 and the screen was black (though sound via optical continued) for maybe up to 5/10 seconds. Then all was back to normal.

This is the problem and it is a Pace HD box exclusive with certain TVs and set ups. Its been reported on threads in here right back to October 2008 and one thread even has posts from Pace (to whom the OP wrote) accepting it happened but blaming Sky and telling everyone with it to contact them!

We get it every now and then but it is very transitory and short lived. We can go weeks without it happening and then (as yesterday) it commonly happens 2 or 3 times in a few hours.

As it is a minor glitch and self corrects in moments we are not too fussed. But it is unquestionably a Pace box issue (we never had it once over 3 years via the same HDMI lead and our Thomson HD box to the same TV and it has not happened once via the Samsung HD box to the Panasonic 42 PZ 80 in the other room). All of these boxes have always been set to 1080 i - not Auto.

Something seemingly causes the handshake via HDMI to seem to suddenly lose its lock. Then regain it.

As noted no big deal in our case (just mildly irritating) but others with different TVs and amps are reporting that it happens rather worse than this.

I should add that there is also a slight lag when switching from HD to SD channels or vice versa as if the box is set to Auto (all HD boxes do this on Auto as you know - but Paces for some reason do it set to 1080 i as well - and presumably 720 p?) Again (in our case) this is intermittent and when you get it often lasts a few days, then clears, but usually returns sooner or later.

Just to show how different TVs react differently we had a Pace HD box via the other Panasonic (the 42 PZ 80) for a few months until Sky replaced it under the recall with a new Samsung. This would do the black screen 'lag' switching SD/HD/SD - but only AFTER a reboot and until you changed channels maybe 50 times, then it self corrected until you next rebooted the box....again when set to 1080 i - not Auto.

I guess there is no remedy to this, by the way I have a LG RZ37LZ55 model which is brilliant for watching tv on and HD its just this blackouts which I find annoying but rewinding it makes it better!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom