What is the good CPU temp for laptop?

kurona

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a new laptop, Dell 7440. I'm worried about the CPU and GPU temperatures, and not sure if it's normal or not. When i open browser or multi task it I feel immense heat coming out of it. When I open my task manager it show high CPU usage. Then i downloaded open hardware monitor and saw that it gaining 55-60C idle temperature. CPU temperature monitor
So is it overheat? What should i do?

Last edited:
It's not a gaming laptop i just perform my usual task.
I tried playing a light game and laptop fans started a wired sound. I closed the game still fans keep running.

Do you have a link to the product on Dells site or a list of specs as 7440 brings up very old models.

Do you have a link to the product on Dells site or a list of specs as 7440 brings up very old models.
Well i certainly don't have a link but if you can you can share with me. And yes it's an old model

Laptops do generally run fairly close to the temperature limits because it allows the cooling system to be lighter and quieter, important considerations on a portable device. So CPU temperature readings often aren't that meaningful.

Generally the sign that the laptop is overheating is that the clock speeds stay really low under load and don't get close to the processor's base clock speed. That means there isn't the cooling capability there for the CPU to ramp up to faster speeds.

Heat emissions are more meaningful, but if something is hammering the CPU then you'd expect the laptop to be heating up a bit.

From what you'd said so far I'd think it's more likely some piece of software has got itself in a mess and there's nothing wrong hardware-wise.

Laptops do generally run fairly close to the temperature limits because it allows the cooling system to be lighter and quieter, important considerations on a portable device. So CPU temperature readings often aren't that meaningful.
Normal CPU Temperature: How Hot Is Too Hot For CPU
Generally the sign that the laptop is overheating is that the clock speeds stay really low under load and don't get close to the processor's base clock speed. That means there isn't the cooling capability there for the CPU to ramp up to faster speeds.
How To Increase Fan Speed on Laptop and PC Windows 10
Heat emissions are more meaningful, but if something is hammering the CPU then you'd expect the laptop to be heating up a bit.

From what you'd said so far I'd think it's more likely some piece of software has got itself in a mess and there's nothing wrong hardware-wise.
Well i do reinstalled my Windows 10 still i see sudden increase in the CPU fan speed.

If its the Latitude E7440 thats a model from around 2013, it might be under more workload with web browser and multi-tasking especially if the laptop is still sporting an old HDD and perhaps hasn't been cleaned so the cooling system isn't as effective.

If you look on Dell site for that model there is the Dell Command power manager, you could give that an install and see if it does anything to the temperature levels on the off chance its better than stock windows power management.

Also use a web browser with some ad filtering built in like Brave or Vivaldi, that may ease some pressure on the CPU while browsing.

If its the Latitude E7440 thats a model from around 2013, it might be under more workload with web browser and multi-tasking especially if the laptop is still sporting an old HDD and perhaps hasn't been cleaned so the cooling system isn't as effective. normal CPU temp

If you look on Dell site for that model there is the Dell Command power manager, you could give that an install and see if it does anything to the temperature levels on the off chance its better than stock windows power management.

Also use a web browser with some ad filtering built in like Brave or Vivaldi, that may ease some pressure on the CPU while browsing.
Thanks for giving tips, but I can't seen to find that Dell Command Manager that you have mentioned in above link.

Last edited:
Thanks for giving tips, but I can't seen to find that Dell Command Manager that you have mentioned in above link.
You have to click on manually find drivers button then it shows the software list.

Something else to consider if the laptop is struggling with current windows, see if Linux Mint runs any better while doing basic tasks like web browsing, you can use balena etcher to write the ISO to a USB and try it out via this live boot (don't have to fully install) and see if it heats up as much.

You have to click on manually find drivers button then it shows the software list.

Something else to consider if the laptop is struggling with current windows, see if Linux Mint runs any better while doing basic tasks like web browsing, you can use balena etcher to write the ISO to a USB and try it out via this live boot (don't have to fully install) and see if it heats up as much.
Thanks for help i will look for the drivers manually

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom