What is the "Freeview Playback Standard"?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Geofbob, May 7, 2007.

1. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    In a recent thread, some forum members emphasised the need to ensure that HD recorders met the above standard. But as far as I can see, Freeview Playback offers only the same features as my bog-standard Goodmans GH8015F2 recorder, bought at Sainsburys for £130 some months ago, and now available even cheaper. I can record one Freeview channel while watching another; can pause and catch up (unless I'm already recording another channel); and watch a programme while it's being recorded etc.

Is there some more unique feature of Playback that I'm missing?

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    It is being implemented in stages. As you note the headline stuff on the Playback site looks pretty much what our PVRs have been able to do for years.
    What will be significant is that playback compliant recorders will* be able to recognise new programme timing data and identifiers. This should mean that recordings start and end exactly on time. It should make it possible for the machine to find just one version of every episode of a series across all channels i.e. series links. There is other such clever stuff as well. Existing boxes will not be able to use this meta data unless they are upgraded by new firmware.
    Looks like some existing boxes will be upped some not. Still PVRs will at least carry on working as at present.
    HTH
    *There are already a couple of Sony DVDR/HDD recorders that meet the spec.

3. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Here's some of the Freeview Playback requirements:
    • availability of an 8-day TV guide
    • record functions of video, audio and subtitles (and audio description if available)
    • ability to pause live TV for at least 30 minutes
    • one touch recording (OTR)
    • display of scheduled recordings as well as recorded programmes
    • selection from TV guide of a programme to be recorded
    • tracking schedule changes
    • modification of the recording schedule
    • accuracy of recording
    • conflict resolution
    • recording capacity
    • fast forward and reverse trick modes
    • chase playback

See Schedule 4 in this document - http://www.freeview.co.uk/docs/manufacturer_licence.pdf

4. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Thanks, Richard46 & Tarbat. The crucial innovation seems to be the tracking of schedule changes, which of course my current Goodman can't do, in the absence of a softwear upgrade, which I doubt will be forthcoming. Meantime, we're off tommorow morning for a fortnight in Switzerland; so - having set the recorder - I just hope there's no schedule changes to ER or Ugly Betty while we're away!