Promoted What is the first DVD you owned? [Answer and Win Prizes]

WinXDVD

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Do you still remember the first DVD you ever owned? From Steven Spielberg’s Jaws to George Lucas’ Star Wars, these classics are remembered for their popularity, and the lingering impact they leave on people. Leave your comment below, we will private message each responder with a license copy of WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (originally $67.95 Valued) (please only reply if you are happy to receive a private message from WinX DVD)

Bonus time!

We’re also providing a unique chance for AVForums members to win Marvel Studios Cinematic Collection by entering a movie quiz. Learn more here: Guess Movie Name & Win Movie DVD

WinX DVD Ripper provides the fastest way to backup or digitize new DVD movies, 99-title DVDs, classic or old DVD collections into a digital format that lives on your hard drive or NAS. Once you have the video the way you want it, you can watch it on Plex server, TV, KODI, computer, a ton more devices. Explore full features of this DVD ripper

Last edited by a moderator:

Shepherd Spy

Standard Member
In 1998 I was a committed LaserDisc user. DVD players were in their infancy and I was becoming interested. I had seen a demonstration in the UK and was contemplating switching from LD to DVD. At this time, the USA market was already more mature than the very limited UK market with many more titles, to say nothing of the (then) fairly strict Film Censorship here. I was already aware of a store in a nearby town that offered grey-imported players (from Hong Kong, I believe) that were region free.

I was visiting some friends in the USA in June 1998. On a whim, I bought one DVD in a USA store.

On the day I arrived back home, I headed to this town and bought a multi-region Pioneer DV505 for £600, so I could play the disc. And so my collection began.

That first DVD was the 1997 Bond Film - Tomorrow Never Dies.

WinXDVD

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
In 1998 I was a committed LaserDisc user. DVD players were in their infancy and I was becoming interested. I had seen a demonstration in the UK and was contemplating switching from LD to DVD. At this time, the USA market was already more mature than the very limited UK market with many more titles, to say nothing of the (then) fairly strict Film Censorship here. I was already aware of a store in a nearby town that offered grey-imported players (from Hong Kong, I believe) that were region free.

I was visiting some friends in the USA in June 1998. On a whim, I bought one DVD in a USA store.

On the day I arrived back home, I headed to this town and bought a multi-region Pioneer DV505 for £600, so I could play the disc. And so my collection began.

That first DVD was the 1997 Bond Film - Tomorrow Never Dies.
Absolutely ‘Tomorrow Never Dies’ is an awesome movie with all bond ingredients & fantastic music score. A very good follow-up to Brosnan's first Bond movie ‘Goldeneye’. DVD region code is a thorn in the side of DVD collectors who buy and play DVDs from different countries. Purchasing a multi region DVD player or getting a hack for current model of your player are both feasible. If you’re no expert on this, you can turn to WinX DVD Ripper Platinum - more than 70 million people worldwide have chosen it- you can take full advantage of this program to bypass any region code protection as well as make a digital copy before your old physical discs are lost or damaged.

Hooray! The good news is every responders here could absolutely win a licensed copy of WinX DVD Ripper Platinum! Thanks the first comment from @Shepherd Spy, check the private message from us and claim your serial code, enjoy!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Aliens - 2000. I remember getting it home on my 4:3 screen only to greeted with massive black bars top and bottom convinced I had done something wrong in the settings.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
I had a Panasonic ?? 100. Modified by Richer Sounds to play region 1 DVDs (no region 2s out at the time) I think my first imports were Cool Hand Luke, The Exorcist and another one I don't recall.

movieman1866

Like @Shepherd Spy I was also well into laserdiscs in the mid to late 90s. I was a regular customer of Cinema World in Kensington and had a demo of DVD as soon as they had them. Good advice in store to not get one of the first players but to hold off for a second generation player as it would be DTS compatible. As soon as they were available I got a Panasonic DVD player imported from the US.

My first two discs were Starship Troopers and Desperate Measures a Michael Keaton movie that I can't remember much about so is due a re-watch.

The amount of movies I purchased went up quite a bit as DVDs were so much cheaper. I was paying £20 or £25 in store per movie depending on the studio. Laserdiscs were £33 and up for US imports.
I was quite sad to see the demise of laserdisc, DVD was a big step up in picture quality but often a step down in audio quality and laserdiscs were so much nicer to own. I imagine people into music felt similar going from LPs to CDs, the large sleeve or even better a foldout with nice artwork is something that just isn't as good on the small packaging of DVDs and CDs.

Sarah7

My first DVD purchase was Willo The Wisp prior to owning a player; could initially only play it using a PC drive and I still haven't watched it all. The edition that I have was released in 2000 so this must be around 20 years ago now!

Garioch

The Mummy (uncut with a 15 classification); back when I was about to enter Uni and only had a DVD drive on my PC.

Evokazz

I absolutely remember, it was Romeo Must Die, bought from Currys lol. Think it cost me around £20.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
My first two were Twister and Mars Attacks both were flippers (remember those?0 and came in a snapper case. Twister I imported and was R1.

Inked

Distinguished Member
My first was the reason for finally buying a DVD player.

The Matrix - as above, was in an old style snapper case (I also picked up Deep Blue Sea at the same time to be fair). It was the beginning of me spending far too much money on HT tech.

Cameron583

Gladiator, and I’m glad the title says owned and not purchased, as I “stole” it from my grandparents. I was way too young to watch it (11), but it had a profound impact on me and the way I grew up. It taught me many lessons about fairness and justice, and I can’t help but watch it when it appears on Film 4 or ITV every once in a while.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I was in LA at the time of the first releases,i already brought my first player,when i was staying at some friends in New Mexico,he was in USAF,so got it cheap of the base,a Panasonic one but they had no discs in.
On the way home to UK,i was flying out of LA,and their was a very big shop at the time selling LD,i brought a load of LD,and they just got their first titles in,so i grabbed a couple.
Twister was one and i forget the other 2.

:)

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
I actually went out and queued up to buy my first ever DVD and it was the massive blockbuster......Twister, and guess what all these years later and I still absolutely love that film :D

Of course I now blame that first purchase on the 12,000 odd that followed :laugh:

Garrett

First one I bought was Starship Troopers at a computer fair and bought a Grundig player in Dixons before all the shop mergers. and by the remote could be hacked for multi region.
The player got good reviews in What hi fi which I think in the same issue reviewed a Matsui player.
I still have both player and disc somewhere.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
My first DVD was Soldier (Kurt Russell), I remember this well because I watched it loads at the time on my first ever DVD player which I think was by Samsung, the thing was huge and built like a tank.

WinXDVD

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ripping DVD's.... why wouldn't people just use makemkv which is free?
@Vila, Makemkv is great, letting you rip DVD to MKV format. Everything is far from perfection. Makemkv is frequently reported to not find correct DVD title. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum fills the gap, seamless support for almost all encrypted DVDs in market and more modern output formats (MP4, H264, HEVC, MOV, MPEG-2, ISO image) for playback on iPhone iPad, Android, Apple TV, QuickTime, Plex media server, Roku, etc.

Thanks for your comment! If you're interested in giving WinX DVD Ripper a shoot, leave your first DVD name, we will PM you a licensed copy.

ml337

My first DVD was Blow starting Johnny Depp. I remember buying it in GAME with vouchers for £17.50! Back then I'd watch every single special feature!

johnny777

My first DVD was Air Force One. It was a Region 1 copy imported from the US. I had a US Pioneer multi-region player that I purchased in 1998......used a step down transformer etc. Used to buy a lot of discs from DVD Empire and DVD Express. Was exciting to import in those days.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
My first DVD was Blair Witch Project
I imported a Region A version from Play.com (Pretty sure I still have the receipt in the case but it's storage so can't check) & it actually arrived before my Blu-Ray player which I had ordered from Multi Region Magic
Was a modded Toshiba SD-2109 think it was around the £350 mark & was worth every penny.
Served me well up until about 2009 when I gave it to a charity shop because I replaced it with a Multi Region Toshiba EP30 HD-DVD player...which I still have

Neil

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Mine was The Faculty, region 2. It was about the only DVD I could find on the high street that I fancied as this was in the very early days when they were only just being released. I believe it was something stupid like £19.99!

This was played on the Toshiba SD-3109. None of your single disc tray nonsense, this had a dual tray so helping you become even lazier by not having to get up for two discs worth of content!

After that I moved to the Denon 2900 in Gold, multiregion modded, which was easily the best built piece of kit I've ever owned, very sad to see that go. Tried to sell it on the forums in 2007 but no luck, can't remember where I sold it after that, probably eBay. Sold because I bought a Toshiba HD-E1 HD-DVD player. Not much cop that, so quickly moved to the EP35 which I still have to this day, but it's gathering dust on top of a wardrobe.