What is the first big news story you remember?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Why such vitriol for the OP? I must be missing something, I think it's a pretty good topic.
Probably because of the 2 random & pointless threads (later merged) that they started last week, indicates spammer that will prob start other random threads in the coming days - ‘What time do you go to sleep?’, ‘What was the last present you bought?’, ‘What tea do you drink?’, ‘What coffee do you drink?’ etc etc

krish

Distinguished Member
His usual one is what did you dream about?
Rarely reposts in his threads other than to needlessly bump. Moves on to spamming us with further deep questions. Replicated on many other forums.

crashcris

Probably because of the 2 random & pointless threads (later merged) that they started last week, indicates spammer that will prob start other random threads in the coming days - ‘What time do you go to sleep?’, ‘What was the last present you bought?’, ‘What tea do you drink?’, ‘What coffee do you drink?’ etc etc
Okay, was not aware of the other topics, but I think he's struck gold on this one, I think it's even got the chance of being in next week's top topics email, and isn't there a coffee lovers thread already, I guess that's one of the one's that's been merged.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Okay, was not aware of the other topics, but I think he's struck gold on this one, I think it's even got the chance of being in next week's top topics email, and isn't there a coffee lovers thread already, I guess that's one of the one's that's been merged.
Even junk mail sometimes brings an offer I may be interested in. Doesn’t mean the rest of the junk isn’t junk ;)

bodoman

Distinguished Member
The death of king George V1, in 1952 i remember being very scared as all the teachers at school were crying and all us kids were sent home early and i did not understand why and at home everyone was sitting round the radio all upset as solemn music was being played all day.

movieman1866

Growing up in the seventies the news seemed to be dominated by events in Northern Ireland. It felt like almost every news broadcast started with reports of more soldiers or police being injured or killed.
Like many others the one single news event I remember more than any other is Elvis dying. The next one would be the death of Steve McQueen, I still recall the newspaper headline "Steve McQueen Dies at 50".

mjn

Distinguished Member
Chernobyl.

mikeysthoughts

Nelson Mandela being released from prison.

mikeysthoughts

Even junk mail sometimes brings an offer I may be interested in. Doesn’t mean the rest of the junk isn’t junk ;)
Next up from OP:
- what was your first pet's name?
- what is your mother's maiden name?
- who was born in March?

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
The thread's moved on a bit from the first you can remember to the big ones which stick in your mind. OK by me, I hasten to say. I take it to mean the JFK effect: I remember where I was when I heard the news

My very first big news story:

Death of George VI, 1952

Others:

Aberfan
Elvis Death
Lockerbie
9/11
JFK
Diana's Death

It's always the disasters which stick more than the good news, isn't it, but I do remember the World Cup '66 and Everest 1953

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Nelson Mandela being released from prison.
There used to be a ‘Free Nelson Mandela’ graffiti on a wall which I used to pass on my way to school every morning. This was pre-internet & 24 hour news, so of course I didn’t have a clue who/what the meaning of the graffiti was until many years later.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I was also moved at the passing of King Henry VIII, when the town crier revealed that news, I was so incensed, I head butted a pig and drank the local ale house dry!

mikeysthoughts

There used to be a ‘Free Nelson Mandela’ graffiti on a wall which I used to pass on my way to school every morning. This was pre-internet & 24 hour news, so of course I didn’t have a clue who/what the meaning of the graffiti was until many years later.
Did some prankster add "...with every box of Kellogg's" at some point?!

Was this in South London? Or am I misremembering?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Did some prankster add "...with every box of Kellogg's" at some point?!

Was this in South London? Or am I misremembering?
No North London. This one also had a ‘Kilroy was here’ graffiti doodle next to it.

Again, pre-internet & being a child, I thought this doodle was somehow related to the TV presenter Kilroy :laugh:

mikeysthoughts

No North London. This one also had a ‘Kilroy was here’ graffiti doodle next to it.

Again, pre-internet & being a child, I thought this doodle was somehow related to the TV presenter Kilroy :laugh:
As did I! Parents had a toilet book called "graffiti" which I suppose was the Reddit of its day, and Kilroy was ever-present.

The South London graffiti scene wasn't quite as sophisticated in the 80s and 90s.

djbsom

Aberfan.
Not on the news, my father talking about it after he spent the day digging out the bodies.
I wasn't supposed to hear, I was in bed and could hear him telling mum.

maxwell

Distinguished Member
Moon landings

krish

Distinguished Member
There used to be a ‘Free Nelson Mandela’ graffiti on a wall which I used to pass on my way to school every morning.
Did you ever see M Khan is bent?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Challenger exploding
Oooooh, i remember that. Back in those days, the whole classroom would all gather round the large CRT and watch the blast off.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Definitely Diana’s death.

I remember getting in from a night out and leaving the TV on in a drunken state and seeing the news report but it didn’t sink in. Then woke up the following morning and came downstairs to see my Dad stood in front of the TV with his mouth open in shock watching the news.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Probably Diana dying. We were dirt poor when I was younger, so at the time didn't have a tv. The neighbor bought around an old black n white portable jobbie so we could watch the coverage. The fact we didn't have a TV is the more memorable part truth be told...

Easily 9/11 after that.

Dunblane is another - I must've just started secondary school as I remember the teacher getting us to get into groups and act out a scenario. Me and my mates being utter cretins that we were decided Dunblane would be a good laugh...yeah that went well! hysteria, phone calls home, ass whooping from the old man etc

nheather

Distinguished Member
Apollo 11 moon landing.

I would have been 6 years old and I remember being made to watch it on TV at school and later at home with my mum and dad.

Can’t say I really understood it at the time but remember being told how important it was and being made to watch broadcast of the flight and the landing and then the return.

Probably the first one I saw that I understood properly was UK Decimalisation.

Cheers,

Nigel

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
On reflection it was not the moon landing it was Churchill's funeral which I believe was in 1965 which would have made me 11.

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
I vaguely remember Chernobyl, however, I'd just turned 7 at the time, so I don't remember sitting around watching the news or anything. I 'remember' stories of multi-limbed livestock being born and cows with 2 heads etc...Due the the recent tv show about the disaster, I had a quick look on the internet to see if any livestock was actually born in that state, but apparently not, so it must have been one of those things created by young minds in the playground!

In a similar vein is the Lockerbie plane bombing - again, being sub-10 years old, I wasn't glued to the news at any point (I don't think I even watched TV before about 13 years old), so whilst I kind of recall it happening, I don't remember it with any real clarity, like an adult at the time would have.

Much more memorable for me is Princess Diana's death. I was 18 at the time and had stayed over at my girlfriend's. In the morning I turned the TV on to see the sad news.