What is the first big news story you remember?

crashcris

the single news report I remember clearly was Elvis dying. I remember being on my mum's bed with her and the news coming through the radio. It was also a long hot summer and practically every day there had been an Elvis movie on TV

Last edited by a moderator:

mcbainne

Princess Diana's car crash, 9/11 had biggest impact tho watched nothing but Sky News for about 2 weeks

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
The Dunblane Massacre was one I can remember which was hugely shocking. I can remember sitting in my car having lunch listening to the updates in total disbelief, really shook me!

9/11 was also unforgetable, for some reason I can still remember everything about that day, before and after.

deantown

Distinguished Member
JFK assassination for me as well. A couple of years ago I visited the scene in Dallas when on holiday. Was very moving. Great museum there and well worth a visit.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
JFK assassination for me as well. A couple of years ago I visited the scene in Dallas when on holiday. Was very moving. Great museum there and well worth a visit.
The 6th floor museum is a really interesting place to visit. Also stood on the grassy knoll and the X marked on the road looking back at the window.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
The one that really left an impression on me is the Vietnamese girl running towards the camera after the napalm was dropped :(
Still chokes me up.

John

Charlie and Di engagement or Ronald Reagan becoming US Pres are the earliest that spring to mind

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
I was trying to think of mine and then read your post. We must be of a similar vintage :)
Born Feb 71, there's other things like Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon Silver Jubilee in 77, but Elvis dying was more of a global event that year and seemed bigger news to a 6 year old.

Certainly remember candles being lit, vigils being held, news broadcasts from Graceland.

crashcris

1st 1976 heatwave :thumbsup:
2nd Elvis found dead in 77
I also remember the heatwave news stories, but the single news report I remember clearly was Elvis dying. I remember being on my mum's bed with her and the news coming through the radio. It was also a long hot summer and practically every day there had been an Elvis movie on TV so I'd grown to know and love him and then suddenly he was dead in the most tragically sad way, I remember crying, I love this thread for prompting a memory of shared moment with my mother (someone seems to be chopping onions near me as I write this).

Last edited:

Zaichik

I remember coverage of the '76 heatwave, the murder of Carl Bridgewater, the Birmingham pub bombings, the Silver Jubilee and Charles and Di, but other stories that stick in the mind are the Heysel Stadium in 1985, the Challenger explosion in 1987 and the Herald of Free Enterprise also in '87.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I also remember the heatwave news stories, but the single news report I remember clearly was Elvis dying. I remember being on my mum's bed with her and the news coming through the radio. It was also a long hot summer and practically every day there had been an Elvis movie on TV so I'd grown to know and love him and then suddenly he was dead in the most tragically sad way, I remember crying, (someone seems to be chopping onions near me as I write this).
My memory of it is being on holidays in Tramore, Co Waterford. We were all in the car and my dad had gone into the shop. I remember everyone coming out of the shop stopping and reading the headline of the paper. We knew something major had happened and then my dad came out and broke the news. Like yourself, I had been watching all the films over that summer.

Kindra

Standard Member
For me, it was more an advert than a news story that had an impact on me during my early years. It was the aids one with the large monolith and john hurt's voice over.
That and wondering where the Falklands was.

krish

Distinguished Member
So you’re not really 16 then?
Pretty sure this is our old hit and run silly question thread creator/spammer/troll (original internet definition)
It's you again Nathan isn't it? ;)

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper was another early memory.
More of a developing story for me. I can remember the winter of 77 Calendar (local news) reporting another murder, really 78 when the Wearside Jack tapes appeal went out and then the rest we all know

crashcris

Okay, I apologise as this isn't exactly fitting in with the thread topic as it's not a "first" news report but is a memory of a news report. A few years ago my mother told me of her memory of a news report in 1963. She'd given birth to my brother in May and he'd been premature, as time went by she and my father began to worry as my brother never smiled nor made any laughing/giggling sounds, then one day as she was watching the news on TV, the report of Kennedy's assassination came through and at that exact moment my brother started his first laughing noises, she told me her blood ran cold. She never told him that that had happened and it's the one secret I will always keep from him (and I refuse to check his head for any numerical birthmarks!)

krish

Distinguished Member
As an infant time traveller I recall a future fixed point in time when SaturdaySugar was banned from AVForums. None of it made any sense at the time.

krish

Distinguished Member
Must have copied and pasted it off one of the numerous forums he spams with this sh*t.

dmpzsn

I think my first memory was the Aberfan disaster, I'd just started an apprenticeship and it was all the news, the 76 heat wave, I took my family on a camping holiday to Cornwall and by golly it was very hot, especially in a tent and the Fastnet race disaster, that was the last time we camped, again in Cornwall and the weather was so bad we packed the tent and came home early. Lots of other memories brought back by other posters posts.