1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the disc emporium like

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by 7 of 9, Sep 27, 2004.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the above website like and has anybody used them before?

i have notice there prices are high but they accept my card and they sale dvd which i cant get any were else e.g. hero region 2 japan 2 disc edition.

thanks from 7 of 9

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    They are excellent. I haven't used them lately though.

My first DVD came from them in 1999. I used them mainly for laserdiscs in the past when they sold them.

I prefered to go to their shop or ring them up rather than on than use the Net.

3. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah they are excellent m8..............i use them all the time, as above they are a little dearer but the service is top notch! :clap:

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,553
    They are also forum sponsors and so I would encourage you to try them.

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a couple of DVD's off them including Leon Japanese collectors edition ( DTS one ) the delivery was fast and the price was reasonable, theyre not always the cheapest but i think theyre one of the friendliest retailers around.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Fantastic dealer!!! Shame about the website though...

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I often visit their shop(how do they get away with selling R1 dvd's over the counter?)but their prices are guaranteed the most expensive anywhere,but not as dear as they used to be.Although some prices are just £3 or £4 more,box sets are laughable,often costing almost double the price you pay elswhere.I don't mind paying extra when I go to the shop where you can browse,but mail order is so much cheaper everywhere else,which is disappointing as I would like to use them more often.
    I used to get LD from them a lot but dvd's are more difficult to justify.

8. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought 200+ Laserdiscs off them in the past and NEVER had a problem wih them, they are excellent retailers. I haven't used them in years now for DVD only because of their prices which are way way above CD-Wow and others. Shame really because I would use them again without a doubt.

9. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    wheres the shop??

10. IAN

IAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too used to buy all my laserdiscs off them and always received excellent service but as for DVDs I would echo the above remarks re prices.I used to get DVDs from them in the early years of the format but after realising how daft I was paying £20-£21 for a disc when it was available for 5 or 6 pounds cheaper elsewhere then I dropped them pdq. :suicide:

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    Their prices are actually more in line with most USA importers, obviously Canadian importers will be cheaper. They provide us with our review discs and delivery from request is super fast.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    Limited use, but I'd agree, they are expensive but offer a very high and fast level of service. UK tax paid, too. I also use www.dvdslimited.com who are often a tiny bit cheaper and similarly good and quick.

13. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Unfortunately this means that that only positive feedback will be shown here.

I used them until '99 but would now recommend dvdslimited for an internet/shop type supplier.

14. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    No it certainly does not. Any feedback on any company which is constructive will be left for all to see. Comments like "Crap" which are not backed up with reasonable evidence will be deleted and rightfully so.
    You seem to mistaking this forum for another one. :hiya:

15. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :thumbsup:

16. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Been using them for about 6 years bought over 200 DVD's (and still counting). Never had any issues with them. Anytime I needed to get a replacement disc no quibbles or problems. Same whenever they go missing in the post (which nowadays is quite frequently in my area!).

As others have said expensive but you get what you pay for and the price includes guaranteed delivery so unlike many other suppliers you do not have to wait the 45 days before getting a replacement for missing or lost items. This is important if you live in London (like me) as many areas have unreliable postal services and unregistered items have a nasty habit of going missing....

IMO the reasons so many other companies can undercut Disc Emporium are:

1: They avoid paying the Import Duty.

2: They do not ship by registered Post.

If you prefer a guaranteed no hassle delivery then it is well worth the extra as they nearly always get stuff 2-3 weeks before street date. Sometimes they can get me out of stock stuff from the US within 2 working days if it catches their midweek flights.

17. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    A previous thread, in which I described the three times I was given bad service, was removed immediately. I did not use 'comments' it just told it how it happened. It was a couple of years ago though, so maybe your policy has changed.

18. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As CRAP is just another way of saying RUBBISH,its difficult to see how it can be justified to remove either comment,other than the fact they are sponsors and will obviously receive favourable treatment.
    It seems that the general consensus is:yes,they offer a good service(no one has complained about that),and yes,they are the most expensive place around.I disagree that their prices are in line with other non Canadian importers,DE are still he dearest,although the ridiculous £21 per disc they used to charge has been reduced to £18.They should make this change more well known than it is.Those who deserted DE a couple of years ago and will not receive newsletters will not be aware of it.
    Finally on the DE,they are the place to go for reliable service and US product.If you are happy with Canadian product,you can't beat PLAY.

19. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    No, if you were to post;

Don't use them they are crap.

And you didn't back that up with evidence of why you think they are crap you will have the comment removed. If you read the forum rules you will also see that we ask that you give your real name when making such posts. Anyone not sticking to the rules will have that post removed.

And No, retailers and sponsors do not and will not get treatment favouring them, they get the same treatment all our members get, no more no less. I know I take offence at such remarks as do all the Mods and Admin who work hard to keep this forum unbiased.