• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is the difference (router vs gateway)?

ChrisOH

Established Member
I have had such a thrilling day today, messing with my toys and not getting anywhere.

This has resulted in the usual response, throw some money at it!

I'm not sure what I'm looking for as I am confused.

I have a PC. It is connected to a WAG54G (An ADSL Gateway with 4 ports) This device keeps the link to the net up and allows me to share the link wirelessly with a work lap top. It also after not inconsiderable effort links wirelessly to two Squeezeboxes two floors below.

The connection allows me to work in the garden but is a bit slow. The connection to the SBs is pretty reliable but could be improved.

What to buy?

I thought a range extender but, today's issues highlight that the Linksys one available does not work with my existing kit. I considered a high gain arial but they are not compatible with the WAG54G.

So it looks like I need to replace the WAG, but what with?

1. WAG200G (Hopefully compatible with the range extender.

2. WRT54G I dont understand the difference between this and the WAG54G so dont want to buy in haste.

3. High gain arial

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/S...260558&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Thoughts?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
belkin pre-N access point and accompanying card in your laptop. You get much better bandwidth and range. Either carry on using the modem/router and use the belkin as a wireless acccess point only (thats what I do), or use the belkin as wireless access point/router, and the modem as just a modem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom