1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between the Panasonic TH42PW6B and the Panasonic TH42PA20B?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by elitedono, Dec 24, 2003.

1. elitedono

elitedono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shop assistant is telling me they are the same except TH42PA20B has everything bulit in already. But i have already read a review pointing out the TH42PA20B isnt as good.

Also i would like to know if HDMI is a universal standard? Will it be used by every manufacturure eventually like Scart?

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    They are supposed to use exactly the same panel, but the PA20 is a full TV with a built in analogue tuner, 3 SCARTs and other connections, wheras the PW6 only comes with a PC input as standard and 3 input bays that allow you to insert boards for connections including SCART, S-Video, Component and DVI.

I have seen reviews arguing that the tuner somehow interferes with the panel on the PA20, leading to inferior picture quality compared to the PW6. I have not seen the PA20 in action so could not comment on this.

I went for the PW6, because I questioned the value of an analogue tuner in a plasma screen, and did not necessarily need all of the connections.

The PW6 is available online for about £2.5k, while the PA20 is at least £3.3k - even once you have added a few boards the PW6 is still a lot cheaper, and IMO better looking.

HDMI looks to be the next 'big thing', but currently only the new Pioneer plasmas and one Pioneer DVD have this connection. Magazine reviews I have read expect this to be fairly standard on mid-high end players by the end of next year.

Neither of the Panasonic screens have HDMI, but it is theoretically possible that they could release a board for the PW6.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The internal layout for the PA20 does involve everything routing through the tuner circuit - does make a slight difference to PQ and there is also less ability to tweak as there is only a basic Picture settings menu.

It's still the perfect plasma TV (apart from the more expensive Pio) for someone who just wants a cool looking, easy to use, plasma telly that gives an awesome picture.

HDMI wise, the new Epson TW500 projector has HDMI. And in the US and Japan Panasonic have a PX20 (42" and 50") which is an XGA version of the PA20 and also has HDMI (not fair is it!)... Theoretically they could (should even) release a HDMI board for the PW6. There doesn't seem any plan to do so but Panasonic are part of the original group of companies who designed HDMI (whereas Pioneer and Epson have it on license).

(HDMI was developed by Hitachi, Matsu****a (Panasonic), Philips, Silicon Image, Sony, Thomson and Toshiba. It has been adopted by Pioneer, Epson, Sanyo, LG, Samsung, Texas Instruments and more apparently)

4. elitedono

elitedono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should i worry if i am getting the PA20 over the PW6? This may be the tv we will stick with for a while.

5. luckydip

luckydip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have PA20 and I have had no probs with it. I did not notice the the so called inferior pq compared to the pw6. In fact when I had a demo of both the PA20 was better IMO. I would suggest having a look at both of them and then deciding which is best for you.