1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between Scart and Component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FatBoyii, Feb 15, 2005.

1. FatBoyii

FatBoyii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am confused as to how component can be better than RGB scart. Are they not the same thing unless you have the Sync supplied separately? My understanding is that Component is just 3 leads (RGB) that same as a Scart!

2. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what i ve read in here,
    component works betterthan scart only on dvds
    and that s because its more compatible with the format that dvds are created

3. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    In the case of my Panny E95, Y/C is better than RGB too. :confused:

4. FatBoyii

FatBoyii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this had progressive output? does the Pany send progressive on Scart or component?

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The difference between component and rgb depends on who is watching, what you are watching and what it is being displayed on.
    If you have a display device with component inputs and a dvd player with component outputs then that is usally the best way to connect. Most dvd players with componenet outputs offer progresive scan , and componenet is the only way to view the progresive scan signal. RGB scart should not be much different and some will say that there is no diference at all. Like I said above it depends what kit you have ect.

6. FatBoyii

FatBoyii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PW7 with a quintro. I may upgrade my DVD to a Progressive output. Will this mean I need a component card for the PW7? Would I be better going HDMI?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    component mate component dont worry about HDMI for DVD

8. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    RGB = Red Green Blue. Sync is either 1. separate horizontal and vertical, RGBHV, 5 wires VGA input. Or 2. both together RGBS (S can be TTL levels as PW7, or composite (CVBS) video levels as in scart where the composite video becomes just the sync for RGB operation. Or 3. combined with the green, RGsB, as needed for panny RGB board. Note you can also have RsGsBs outputs but you only need one sync.

Component = YUV = YPbPr. Sync is on Y, the luminance I think, combined with one signal any way. Other 2 signals are colour difference B-Y, R-Y. So since you have Y then maths gives you RGB. DVD are encoded with YUV since errors lead so less noticeable error, e.g. change in brightness not colour caste.

S-Video = YC. Y is same as component, C is combined Pb and Pr.

Composite = CVBS. Y and C are combined.

Since DVDs are in component then that's reckoned to be the best with RGB a close second, for DVD players. But a lot depends on the kit. S-Video might actually be better if the kit is generating S-Video first then converting to RGB. You might be better feeding the S-Video to the plasma and letting it convert that.

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    For prog scan you will need a component input. Whether that is worth it depends on how good the DVD player you are thinking of getting is. All plasmas convert interlaced to progressive but the conversion may be done better by a good DVD player or external scaler.

HDMI is another ball game. Well done it is superior to YUV but there are still many points to be sorted out - HDCP not being "plug and play" and inability of some display devices to cope with 50 Hz formats. Unless you are techy my advice is currently stick with component.

10. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 42pf9966 has no component. But it has RGB Scart.
    The plasma can use progressive internaly on the RGB feed. Stable and excellent PQ.

Lem

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Component is not any closer to the native format of dvd (or any other type of digital video) than interlaced RGB through a scart . You are comparing analogue formats with digital , its apples and oranges. All things being equal component and RGB should be identical.

12. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    MPEG encodes YUV not RGB, for the simple reason that YUV is less sensitive to errors and you can also reduce the bandwidth of the UV for minimal PQ loss so a smaller MPEG. Hence decoding MPEG produce YUV, in digital yes. To convert to RGB is another process. Here it all depends on the kit. If it does the conversion digitally with enough accuracy then there should be no detectable difference. However, it could generate analogue YUV then do an analog conversion to RGB which is a bit less ideal.

It is most likely the kit will either generate RGB or YUV from the digital and then do an analogue conversion to YUV or RGB as this is cheaper, 3 less high speed DACs. In fact the whole thing is probably all inside one IC and YUV is the most likely analogue start point. Which is why component, on DVD playerss that have it, is considered better than RGB. But it depends on the kit and whether you could see a difference with a good DVD player is another question .

13. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    Just to add that composite and S Video have to use a "modulation system" for the colour ie PAL or NTSC- this reduces the bandwidth and quality compared with RGB and component.

14. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have a PW7 with SCART input and should hopefully be getting a Component board too soon. I bought the Component (AKA High-Def I think) lead for my Xbox - am I right in thinking that it will be better on my PW7 than using the current Composite lead and pseudo-SCART adapter, and if so why?

I've always been lead to believe Component is better than Composite and I'm not disputing it, just keen to know why and how big the difference really is...

Oh, and one more question - a friend of mine was really surprised when I told him the JS RGB2VGA converter significantly improved picture when used in place of SCART. Is this purely because the Panny SCART board is not made very well, or is there another reason? My friend couldn't see any other reason...

Thanks

15. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q, what is the difference between scart and component?
    A, Usualy about a fiver.

16. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that a component signal is just as good as a RGB signal, does this mean that connecting SKY+ to a DVD player, say E55 and then using a component cable to the panel gives the same PQ as using SKY+ via JS RGB converter to the panel?

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I have the e55 (and pw7) and have tried both routes. Although going via the e55 does give good results, the js tech converter gives an even better pq, colours are more realistic, contrast is better defined and whites are whiter.

18. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply.

But here is the $50K dollar question is it £150 better?

19. FatBoyii

FatBoyii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I was thinking of the e85. I currently have a Warfdale 750s. If I am investing in a new DVD I was unsure if I should invst in the component output. I am asuming that a progressive output will have beeter lip sync than interlaced when the DVD send out the optical feed to my Amp. I assume that this would mean less processing by the PW7. I only see this issue on some disks, mainly in Zoom mode to protect my screen while I run it in. The screen has bled me dry, but as with all these things it highlights the next requirement in this crazy quest :devil: .

Should I invest in a component set up to complement the scart if I get the E85. :confused: