1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between RGB and RGBs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sneaky, Apr 5, 2004.

1. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

As the question above says can someone explain the difference.

I have a DVD that outputs RGB from a scart socket and I am looking for an adapter to plug in the component leads from my HS20.

I have seen one from Keene on this forum that has the RGB phonos + a white one which I can presume is for the sync(what does the sync acrually do).

I have also seen one from maplins that just has the RGB.

Which one do I need.

Thanks

Chris

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    If you are coming RGBscart out then you need one with four phonos on end. The fourth is the composite video output which has the sync signal embedded on it.

Sync is the signal that tells the device when to draw a line and then when to go back to top of the image and start again. Without any sync signals there will be no picture

Gordon

3. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gordon,

Do I need a special sort of lead for that to go to my Sony HS20. At the moment I am using the multi lead and the DVI from the computer.

Off thread but I notice Lumagen are doing a DVI DVD PLayer do you have any details on that.

Chris

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    RGB has three signals/cables -- red, green, blue -- and they sync is carried on the green. Sometimes also noted as RGsB.

RGBS or RGBs has four signals/cables -- red, green, blue, sync -- where the sync is seperated.

This is why you see scart to RCA converters with either three or four outputs, however, most scart sockets use RGBS so the three RCA ones could be seen as a bit redundant (for most kit).

StooMonster

5. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Stoo,

So will the 4 outout Keene product that you mentioned on one of the threads enable me to link my DVD thru the scart/Keene adapter to my hs20 vi the multi cable which has the 3 component cables. Presumably I would also have to link the yellow composite cable as the sync.

Hope this makes sense.

Chris

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Chris,

Yes pretty sure this would work, but hey, it's only £5.99 is if doesn't and I'm sure you could reflog it on the classifieds for HD owners...

This is all based upon the fact that the HS20 CAN accpet RGBS via its component/composite.

JJ