1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between Kef 20005.2 speakers and the original soeakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tony kop77, Jan 28, 2004.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I should be getting the Kef speakers soon and have seen the original speakers for £400 brand new while the Kef 20005.2 I have seen from £600-£800. I would like to know the difference between the two Kefs.
    The place I saw the original Kefs for £400 was in Bolton in a magazine and I heard Kef wont allow the shops to sell them via mail order so dont fancy my chances.
    I have a sevenoakes store about 30 miles from me and will try them just wanted to know the differnece between the two.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The second edition eggs ship with a supposedly much improved subwoofer.

The eggs themselves have been revised with new tweeters and revised cabined design aimed to lower distortion levels and permit higher power handling figures.

The New eggs sound considerably better than the old eggs, but you'd probably be sufficiently impressed by the Old eggs regardless.

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Thanks for that. I am going to buy the Denon 2803 amp just was not sure if it was worth paying a few hindred extra for the 2005.2.
    I have seen the old Kefs for £400 in a magazine but the store is in Bolton.
    Cheapest I have seen the 2005.2 is £650. I will go Bedford weekend and get a demo from sevenoakes.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I assume that if you are going for a demonstration of the Kef eggs at Sevenoaks then you have every intention of buying them from Sevenoaks. If not then I suggest you book a demonstration at the store that is advertising them at £650.

5. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just got myself some of the original kef's, can't say what the difference is between the old and new as I have never heard the improved speakers, but I am well chuffed with the originals :smashin:

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There isn't that much difference.

Both have the same 'type' of sound, and please the ear in much the same way.

I think the second edition eggs have a more forward & refined sound, and the centre speaker copes better with dialogue.

The sub with the 'Second Edition' eggs can also go louder & lower with less distortion & more accuracy than the previous one. But it's very directional - when listening in the demo room I could immediately detect where some of the bass was coming from. Don't think it'd cope to well in a large room.

The Eggs sound excellent with Denon amps from my experience.