What is the difference between 1080p HDR and 4k HDR?

TheSpiderWeb18

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, folks

Even through I have found many images that compare 1080p to 4K HDR but I cannot find any HDR comparisons between the two resolutions

Can anyone please explain the differences.

I wouldn't expect any, the HDR picture standards have nothing to do with resolution.

Endless waves, are you able to explain what you mean? many thanks

I can try but I'm not sure what elaboration it needs.

HDR is about colour and contrast. It has nothing to do with detail, which is the only thing that resolution affects.

I am talking about the technologies generally. Obviously the best Full HD HDR TV won't compare to the best 4K HDR TV, but that's because the latter is six times the price and not down to resolution.

I can try but I'm not sure what elaboration it needs.

HDR is about colour and contrast. It has nothing to do with detail, which is the only thing that resolution affects.

I am talking about the technologies generally. Obviously the best Full HD HDR TV won't compare to the best 4K HDR TV, but that's because the latter is six times the price and not down to resolution.
Yeah, but surely 4k HDR would have differences from hd HDR due to extra resolution from 4K.

I expect the key question would be regarding colour space. On 4K HDR you’d get rec 2020, but I’m not sure that 1080 HDR would use 2020 instead of 709.

Yeah, but surely 4k HDR would have differences from hd HDR due to extra resolution from 4K.

They'd be exactly the same differences you see in the non-HDR comparison.

I expect the key question would be regarding colour space. On 4K HDR you’d get rec 2020, but I’m not sure that 1080 HDR would use 2020 instead of 709.

Actually Sony's Full HD WE75 has a wider colour space than most 4k HDR screens.

Obviously HDR for mainstream TV and computer/internet use is still up in the air. From a technological point of view I'd expect them to retain the wide colour space as the graphics industry already has the infrastructure to support more than sRGB/Rec. 709 for mediums such as print.

What we'll see in terms of dynamic range increase is more difficult to predict, although hopefully we'll end up on a relative brightness standard like HLG. Trying to work with the fixed brightness of HDR10 etc. in some contexts would cause headaches.

Are there currently any sources of 1080p HDR encoded material?

If so; what flavour of HDR do they use i.e. HDR10, DV or HLG?

Cheers

Cheers

I think Netflix has some HDR Hd shows. I imagine most are HDR10.

Cheers
All DV-content on Netflix is available in 1080p on the ATV4K, probably also iTunes-content.

I always watch streamed DV in 1080p to avoid too much bit-starving.

All DV-content on Netflix is available in 1080p on the ATV4K, probably also iTunes-content.

I always watch streamed DV in 1080p to avoid too much bit-starving.

Thanks; appreciate the reply.

Thanks; appreciate the reply.
Netflix on the ATV4K will not stream HDR10-encoded material in 1080p, only DV. The amount of HDR10 ONLY material on Netflix is very scarce compared to the amount of content encoded in DV AND HDR10.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom