What is the definition of sad?

edward

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it someone who watches Tiff Needell on Fifth Gear the other night, raving about how the McLaren F1 is a no compromise machine that is, years after it was produced, still the best car ever made, and smiling because his TAG McLaren Audio kit was designed with the same ethos?

Thought so – sniff.

Seems they didn’t make any money out of the McLaren F1 either but there is no denying that it did a lot to establish their brand as a seal of excellence.

But Edward we are only F3 guys :)

That makes me even sadder.

trust you nic :rotfl:

wonder what the new Audiolab DP will be F C

i'll leave that one to your imaginations

judging by coments on here a McLaren F1 roadcar service is a bit like sending your Tag gear to IAG for service

Bloody Expensive:eek:

Are people beginning to be convinced that there will be an Audiolab equivalent to the DP? If so, will it be a fixed unit or upgradeable?

I think there will be several variants :), probably 3. Why would IAG ditch the best product?

Well IAG have ALWAYS stated that they will not be producing any version of the AV32R, so why the sudden belief that they will?!

Nic Rhodes said:
Why would IAG ditch the best product?
Because they aren't up to making them? Because their market sector values "cheap" over "quality" and IAG wants to stay at the lower end of the market? Because they can't see a way of making them for less than 10% of purchase price their market will stand? Because they're waiting for this stuff to become as obsolete as the Audiolab designs?

The most likely answer is because they know how much it rattles people who have used, or even heard, an AV32R DP in action or who want to use an AV192R as the heart of a Home Cinema. Evidence is their response to this forum.

First things first. :D

Someone could argue that they will produce Calliope-Clones first.
The "evidence" is on their website in the EMPTY 'Loudspeakers' section.
Now some very busy Chinese hands must be carving Calliopes out of single/solid aluminium blocks. ;) (even F1's - bigger blocks though)

Does actually has someone seen a TMA - AV30 clone (aka 8000AV) in action. I find it rather strange that there are all manuals available for download on their web site but not for the home-cinema-range.

I have only seen myself a rack filled with the Audiolab-HiFi-Stereo equipment at a local dealer so far.

I'm still puzzled that no review or alike has been posted in this forum. The Tag Mclaren side of life must scare those "new" Audiolab owners?! :eek:

Cheers

Edward

the only one I can really buy into from that list is the market doesn't want it. We wait and see with interest. :)

Have you cheered up now, 'End of Year' is a depressing time.

Nic Rhodes said:
the only one I can really buy into from that list is the market doesn't want it. We wait and see with interest.

I give you 0% chance of an av32dp "revival" at IAG. Didn't you read the topics about informal talks with IAG employees? They've shown no interest in this line - at all -. Why do you think the av32's devaluated so much?

Ettepet said:
I give you 0% chance of an av32dp "revival" at IAG. Didn't you read the topics about informal talks with IAG employees? They've shown no interest in this line - at all -. Why do you think the av32's devaluated so much?

The DP seems to be holding it's value pretty well,and given that the other models are now a few yrs old by comparison,they arent doing too badly either,if you compare them with other processors of similar age,in terms of development.

alexs2 said:
The DP seems to be holding it's value pretty well,and given that the other models are now a few yrs old by comparison,they arent doing too badly either,if you compare them with other processors of similar age,in terms of development.

Of course they are still in many ways 'state of the art' (that's why I bought one ;)). I meant the drop in price of new models more than one year ago, and the general depreciation of the av32-range. :)

To summarize: av32dp rules! :D

I think IAG policy is only to sell average or well established (read-obsolete) technology to the low to mid cost/value end of the market, thats whats they did with the introduction of the low cost Quad (L series?) loudspeakers, the Quad 99 series is not exactly aiming at high end performance in sound or bulid quality, its pretty 'middling' in most respects.

I'd be impressed if they wheeled out an Audiolab'd version of the AV32R DP (any version), it would be even better (for me) if they started making the 250 series power amps again, but I absolutely do not want an AV192R or 250x3R etc made with the same crap parts they're using to build the new 8000P, it has most of the horrible old Audiolab overly dry, hard, cripsy sound due (I believe) to the lack of the Vishay resistors, Wima Capacitors etc that TAGMcLaren put to such good use.

As a friend said '...dream on TMA spent millions of pounds subsidising audiophiles...'.

""As a friend said '...dream on TMA spent millions of pounds subsidising audiophiles...'.""

Superb :D

liam_b said:
As a friend said '...dream on TMA spent millions of pounds subsidising audiophiles...'.

Interestingly this was all possible without making losses (Udo's words).

So in the end TMA was the biggest threat to the industry then giving away some of the best designs & solutions to the end-user market.

So in the end it was one of the best deals both sides got.

Cheers

benzol

PS: It's a shame, see the continuing demand for the big amps, upgrades and finally repairs. Would have been great if IAG had created that High-End range (DV Audiolab).

I know, it amused me as well, but his point was that TMA were prepared to spend money to make really good products and accept that it would take some time to get a return on the investment but that they wound it up before that happened.

DV Audiolab would have been great, as it appeared they were just the TMA boxes with new badges.

liam_b said:
I know, it amused me as well, but his point was that TMA were prepared to spend money to make really good products and accept that it would take some time to get a return on the investment but that they wound it up before that happened.
If TMA had sorted out the sales channels better and cracked markets like the US and Japan, it would have been a very different story. The sad truth is that thesxe days, the more successful companies are the ones putting 80% into Sales and Marketing and 20% in to Engineering. But they were engineers hell bent on excellence, which was never going to be cheap. Having achieved it, they just needed to get the sales side sorted out and... Mind you, the same could have been said for the McLaren F1.

Easy to pontificate after the funeral about whether or not it was a life well spent or an untimely death. For my part, liam_b, I'm with you. If Ron and Udo had appointed a well-resourced Sales Director, they'd probably have done very well out of it and we'd still be smiling.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom