1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is: The Cyrus 7 amp upgrade path?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mac_monkey, Aug 2, 2005.

1. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have just bought a new Cyrus 7 amp for £350 :thumbsup: . I saw the offer floating around on 'tinterweb and just couldn't resist to get in on Cyrus at that price. I've demo'd their stuff in the past and I really like the clarity and imaging so when the offer popped up I bought it without listening to it.

I have been putting all my efforts, and money, into my HT kit recently and have left the stereo side of things alone so I am a bit out of touch. I was originally drawn to Cyrus due to it's Modular, and upgradable, nature. But now I am not too sure of what's what. I am a bit of a newbe when it comes to biamping, biwireing and monoblocks etc and was wondering if anyone could help, particularly in relation to Cyrus equipment and the merits of their products.

I see you can Biwire the amp without any extra equipment but you can also add a Smartpower to biamp it. However I don't understand why you would add two smartpowers? And does biwireing have any detrimental affects?

Is adding smartpowers a wise move if you are intending to move over to a cyrus AV amp (from what I understand you could use them to drive the separate channels).

If someone could provide a noob guide to Cyrus Amplification Kit I would be most thankful. A top 5 "look out for stuff on ebay" list for upgrades would also be handy. Is a PSX R more beneficial than a smartpower etc?

Thanks in advance

Tom

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tom,
    1st Upgrade option for the Cyrus 7 would be to add a PSX-R and by doing this you isolate the amplifier and Preamp section within the C7 amp itself so the PSXR handles the power to the preamp section and the mains will power the amplifier section, what this does is improve the resolution to the sound of the amp and also slightly increases the amps power output.
    2nd you can add a Smartpower amp and then join the C7 with its preouts to the smartpower amp itself, what this does is enable you to biamp you're speakers meaning that you power the tweeters & bass midrange with the 2 amps, this will inprove the dynamics in you're system and really does improve the sound quite dramaticaly.
    3rd you could add another smartpower and use them in mono configuration which will then feed each speakers L/R seperatly
    and the C7 will be used just as the preamp, this will once again add more power & dynamics to you're system.
    With both of the smartpowers you could add PSX-R's and again this will improve the amps power.

Hope this helps alittle and here is a link to Cyrus showing how to Bi amp.

www.cyrus.co.uk/upgradeability.htm

Regards
    John

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say welldone on getting it for such a good price as it is an absolute bargain for what you paid... :)

4. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cheers Recruit,
    I just couldnt resist the Amp at that price. You would recomend the PSX-R over the Smart Power as the first step to upgrade then?

After some research last night I know that there are two versions of the PSX-R, variable and non-variable, and I need to go for the variable one. Is there anything that I need to look out for on the Smart Powers, or have they only manufactured the one type?

Tnx

Tom

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Tom,

I would say that the order i have listed the upgrades would be in the easiest order 1-3 and also price wise aswell, but it is up to you, as you could do any of the options in any order you want depending on how much you're willing to spend.

I am running my B&W's with a 7 amp and smartpower in Bi amp config but also with PSXRs and it is a stunning combination.

If i was you i would start by adding a PSXR and the increase in performance would be quite substantial :thumbsup:

Regards
    John

6. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    mac_monkey, you could have asked this over at the other forums. :hiya:

recruit is correct in his advice though. PSX-R first, then Smartpowers or mono X's.

here's a link to the Cyrus users website (check out the forum)

http://www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk/

BTW - there are hardly any non-variable PSX-R's about as Cyrus only made them for a short pweriod about 8 years ago.

My Cyrus route was Cyrus 5 > upgraded it to Cyrus 7 > added PSX_R > added CD7 > added Smartpower > added 2nd Smartpower > swapped Smartpowers for Mono X's > swapped Cyrus 7 for Pre X.

7. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Lol Boozyuzi I've been rumbled :hiya:

I just didnt want to take that thread any more off topic ;)

Cheers for the advice tho'

See ya

Mac_monkey/visualunderground

8. Micro44UK

Micro44UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with the Cyrus 7? Did you get it in Silver? I'v only seen the black version and was wondering how the silver looks/feels?

:smashin: