What is the current best freeview recorder box?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
My Humax DTR T2100 has finally died. It has been glitching for a few months but today it wouldn’t power on at all. 12v coming from the power adapter so the fault is with the box itself.

I thought, no problem, the T2100 is years old and there must be a much better box available by now.

So what is currently regarded as being the best freeview box? I see a lot of chatter on here about the Humax Aura and the Manhattan T3-R but looking into those I see they don’t have much in the way of 3rd party apps (specifically looking for Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV+). Is there a one box does all or am I going to have to use the TV’s (very slow) built-in apps for streaming services?

Flynch191

Soo many options.. what’s your isp.. what do you watch.. etc etc..
.. to answer that question I think you need to add what you like to watch/record?? Throw all that info out there and then ppl can help.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I only watch the basic free view channels and the streaming services I mentioned above. I have no desire to start paying a monthly subscription for any additional channels.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Is that 12V measured via a voltmeter? Sometimes PSU will still provide a nominal 12V on a multimeter but then not provide that or enough current under load.

CatsWithThumbs

Standard Member
My Humax DTR T2100 has finally died. It has been glitching for a few months but today it wouldn’t power on at all. 12v coming from the power adapter so the fault is with the box itself.

I thought, no problem, the T2100 is years old and there must be a much better box available by now.

So what is currently regarded as being the best freeview box? I see a lot of chatter on here about the Humax Aura and the Manhattan T3-R but looking into those I see they don’t have much in the way of 3rd party apps (specifically looking for Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV+). Is there a one box does all or am I going to have to use the TV’s (very slow) built-in apps for streaming services?

Hi, I would just say it might be worth trying the box again tomorrow. Mine did a similar thing, a few random errors then wouldn't power on at all. Again, PSU fine. Having almost given up hope I plugged it in the next day and it fired up just fine and has been running ever since (a good 9 months or so I'd say).

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
To check if PSU is working with the box connected, you could open the box and use the multimeter across the input terminals from PSU...

It is easy to replace a failed hard drive in the Youview DTR-T2110 (BT Branded DTR-T2100) may help with that. NB At your own risk, of course! ;)

IMHO it's probably best NOT to have streaming via boxes and even TVs. Support can be cut off with little notice.

Use a cheap streaming stick or box - you choose which suits best. I think Fire TV does all three you use but use 'due diligence' to do your own checks?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Having come to terms with the fact that the perfect pvr doesn’t exist and I will need a separate device for Amazon/Netflix/Apple TV/Disney+ I now have a Manhattan T3-R arriving tomorrow.
It was a toss up between this and the Humax Aura but the the T3-R was £100 cheaper so it as the choice I made. I have an Xbox Series X in the same room so can use that streaming apps.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom