What is the biggest factor for you when deciding on which iSP?

AVRocky

For me, it is throttling of speeds (and or P2P networks). As more and more offer unlimited usage (in regards to data usage), and prices become more comparable, the issue of traffic management remains the white elephant in the room. The saving grace these ISPs have is that their traffic management, or throttling, may not be common knowledge to all.

QBSBuck

Novice Member
So which company's throttle/traffic shape?

Sky??

AVRocky

I know for a fact BT do it. Sky do not, they actually make it a point to highlight that on their website

QBSBuck

Novice Member
I can confirm BT do...sadly. I have SKY currently, so wondered.

BB speed with BT 6Mbs
BB speed with SKY 12Mbs

Weird hey :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
As more and more offer unlimited usage (in regards to data usage),
Don't encourage them. Claiming unlimited when there are actually speed limits are just as likely to get you to buy a package that you wouldn't have done otherwise as it does for data limits.

I don't think throttling itself is a particularly big issue but the lack of information about it certainly is. Far too many ISPs use unhelpful terms like 'too much' data and bury the throttling details deep in the terms and conditions, right now it's practically impossible to make an informed choice between ISPs because of the lack of information they provide about their packages - it's a case of picking one at random and hoping their limits won't affect you.

wormvortex

Not really. It's simply a case of searching around on the Internet and within minutes you can see who throttles what and when.

Broosta

Can you provide an example? I never seem to have much luck.
Just go on the forums of the isp in question and see what users say about throttling.
I'm switching from sky to virgin. I was concerned by the throttling issue as I'm a massive bit torrent user, and sky don't throttle but I can't get sky fibre. I can get virgin cable at 100mb however, and despite the fact virgin do throttle extensively whatever happens I'll still be getting much faster speeds with virgin even when throttled. sky = 15mb v virgin = 100mb.

MarkE19

despite the fact virgin do throttle extensively whatever happens I'll still be getting much faster speeds with virgin even when throttled. sky = 15mb v virgin = 100mb.
You might want to Google this as I've just done it and am reading some threads on the VM forum etc where users are getting throttled down to around 5mb or slower, eg: Virgin Media ISP Reviews : ISPreview UK
So if this is true then 15mb on Sky is far faster than you could get at times from VM.

Broosta

You might want to Google this as I've just done it and am reading some threads on the VM forum etc where users are getting throttled down to around 5mb or slower, eg: Virgin Media ISP Reviews : ISPreview UK
So if this is true then 15mb on Sky is far faster than you could get at times from VM.
Yeah well I know its generally a bit of a game of chance with virgin - you could have problems or it could be awesome. I figure that I should not expect the full 100mb but I should overall get more than 15mb.

Here's the throttle chart/timetable thing -

and I accept things will fluctuate. And if its that bad hey its only 18 months!:rolleyes:

Chuck Norris

Distinguished Member
Lowest speed on Virgin 100Mbit you should see is 50Mbit with the STM in place. That said, if your area is suffering from High Utilisation then you could be looking at SEVERE drops in speed, <1Mbit depending on Network Load, best to check on the forum before you join.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom