What is the best way to turn on/off my ps5?

arvid7

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry I feel stupid asking this... Not sure if I am alone with these issues, but I am an old school gamer playing on a new console for the first time, and I'm having trouble understanding the basic functions.

It seems that a lot of the games I've been playing (Mass Effect Legendary yesterday) do not have an option to "quit" the game from menu, so it's unclear to me how you're supposed to end your gaming sessions? At first I was just turning the console off manually with the power button... but it gave me a couple "You're not supposed to turn the console off abruptly" warnings. So yesterday when I was done playing, I think I hit the PS5 button on the controller to bring up the little menu > went to Power > put it into idle/sleep mode (so that the controller would recharge overnight) and I plugged the controller back in.

However, when I woke up this morning and unplugged the controller and attempted to start playing, I found that 1.) the controller was completely dead and 2.) the game was still running from yesterday. It never ended my gaming session; it looks like it only "suspended" it. (i.e., the first thing that appeared when I turned my PS5 on this morning was the game's pause menu, from yesterday)

I really don't understand #1. When I had finished playing yesterday, the controller was at like 75% battery, and I left it plugged in overnight. So how do I reliably recharge the controller / prevent it from losing its charge overnight, at least? Do I have to manually turn off the controller with the ps5 button after the ps5 console goes idle and my TV screen goes dark? For #2, am I supposed to return to the PS5 "home menu" before turning the console off/idle? Does this actually end a gaming session?

You can turn off the game the same way you put the system into rest mode.

Short press PS button on controller > Go to the little tile with an image of the game you're on (this is the switcher) > Close game.

Or

Long press PS Button > go to the game tile > Press Options > Close game.

As for your controller recharging you need to go to power settings and change the settings in there to match what you want.

Wow, I found the "Close game" option under Switcher > then an additional click on the game portrait. Thank you! I never would have found it hidden in such an obscure place.

Ok, so I went into System settings and I found that the default option for Rest mode/charging controllers was only 3 hours (which I have now changed). But I don't even understand this default setup. By default, they designed the ps5 controller to remain on and drain itself when the console is resting beyond 3 hours?

Thanks again

Wow, I found the "Close game" option under Switcher > then an additional click on the game portrait. Thank you! I never would have found it hidden in such an obscure place.

Ok, so I went into System settings and I found that the default option for Rest mode/charging controllers was only 3 hours (which I have now changed). But I don't even understand this default setup. By default, they designed the ps5 controller to remain on and drain itself when the console is resting beyond 3 hours?

Thanks again

The 3 hour time is deliberate, since this should be long enough to fully charge the controller.

To go back to your original question, this is what I do, coming from a similar 'old school' as yourself. When I'm finished playing I long-press the PS button to get to the home screen. Press options and then close game (you'll automatically be on the game icon). Then short-press the PS button, push down, and then left to quickly get to the power menu. Mostly I then select 'Turn Off PS5' and I only use Rest Mode if I want to leave a controller charging, or if a download is in progress.

By default, they designed the ps5 controller to remain on and drain itself when the console is resting beyond 3 hours?

Related to this, if you go to Settings -> System -> Power Saving you can change the 'Set Time Until Controllers Turn Off' setting. This only affects what happens when the PS5 is on but it can help to save battery life if you ever interrupt playing to do something else for a bit. I have this set to 10 mins.

@Ultrasonic, ah yes - I found that the default setting was apparently to never turn off the controller. Maybe this is why the controller battery drained all night even though it was plugged in? I changed this to 30 minutes. I'm starting to wonder if my controller might be defective, though, because I've been charging it all morning (3+ hours now) and it's still only on one battery bar. :(

@Ultrasonic, ah yes - I found that the default setting was apparently to never turn off the controller.

I think that no matter which option is selected the controller will switch off when the PS5 is switched off.

Maybe this is why the controller battery drained all night even though it was plugged in? I changed this to 30 minutes. I'm starting to wonder if my controller might be defective, though, because I've been charging it all morning (3+ hours now) and it's still only on one battery bar. :(

Are you getting the green charging indicator (on screen) showing?

Yes, and it shows 3/3 battery bars now after being on the charger/in Rest mode now for almost 8 hours total.

Earlier this morning when I posted that I'd had it on the charger for 3 hours and only 1 battery bar... maybe it doesn't charge during gameplay?

Yes, and it shows 3/3 battery bars now after being on the charger/in Rest mode now for almost 8 hours total.

Earlier this morning when I posted that I'd had it on the charger for 3 hours and only 1 battery bar... maybe it doesn't charge during gameplay?

Well, it will charge slower if you're playing at the same time since it's obviously using power then too. By how much will presumably depend on the game, since greater use of the various motors will use more power.

If you've changed it I'd try putting your USB power setting in rest mode back to 3 hours and seeing what happens. I have a hunch you'll find it works fine and that all is actually OK...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom