1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best upscaled dvd to use with the Sammy?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mistycat, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please suggest the best dvd to use and why it is. This would be to use with my new Sammy (the fantastic one!). Who needs batteries when one has Sammy! :clap: :hiya: :D

2. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

hey mistycat

i got my sammy on monday from costco and im delighted, the pic quality is amazing.

i have hooked up my 3yr old sony dvd player up using component cable (expensive one) and the picture quality is breathtaking. i was thinking about buying new dvd aswell but now i have seen my old one running i dont see the point cos i cant believe the pic can get any better :clap:

think im just gonna wait till blu-ray or HD-DVD players hit the market later on in the year.

3. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I just bought the Panasonic S97 which has HDMI and upscales to 720p and 1080i. There was some concern over a "macro blocking" but this has been resolved by the v536 firmware update which can be downloaded via links in this forum under DVD players. Also the price has dropped over the past week or so to £160 direct from panasonic.

I will upgrade to HD-DVD or blu-ray when it arrives and the prices have settled but i've decided my existing 7 year old player needs upgrading now so I decided to take the plunge now without spending a fortune.

Hope this helps
    KableMan

4. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm using a Samsung HD935 player with DVI out with my Sam SP46L3HX - best DVD for demo I've found is Monsters Inc.

This player also upscales to 720p or 1080i and is good value for money. There's now the HD945 and a new model (HD950) is expected soon as well. The 945 and 950 have HDMI instead of DVI.

5. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys i am getting my Sammy tmrw what is the best way to hook up sky digital its the usual pace box. cos its meanly going to be used for digital television. As for DVD i gota Pany S97 on order hoping that looks good with HDMI. What do u guys think?

6. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,430

Where did you get sammy from and for what price ? :thumbsup:

7. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ordered the samsung hd945 to go with the sp50,it should be a good match.

8. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done DLP. Question guys, is an upscaled pq almost as good as a downloaded HD clip? If it is, I want it! Please advise gents. Maree

9. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry, its nice, but not close.

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

No where near as good. Different leauge all together.

Best HD disk has to be The Hunted with Tommy Lee Jones, disc is WMV HD so you will need a pc to play. Costs around £20 from Germany. Amazing demo disc.

Best SD dvd is i-robot, a really good disc for pic and sound. Aparently theres a HD version on D-VHS which is ment to be excellent.

:D

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the downloaded hidef trailers are not the best quality
    so i would say at its best yes maybe even better if you are watching from at least 10 feet
    you have to have a very good DVD player via your DVI or HDMI input & a very good quality DVD :smashin:

however if u compare the very best DVD with something like praying mantiss
    it's not even close :nono:

12. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do people find the larger the screen the more strain one gets on thier eyes. I am refering to the samsung50. I am watching it from a distance of atleast 10 feet or more? Whats the idea distance to sit?

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I find the bigger the display the easier it gets on your eyes, everything looks more life size and clearer.

Larger text is easier to read etc.... comparason 6' x 4' photo vs 3 foot by 2 foot poster.

Look at your display settings, may be reduce the intensity. With fine adjustment you should be eliminate eye strain.

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the quality of the source material for a decent DVD or Telewest signal i find about 4 foot to be good with the optimun distance 7 foot or longer, the poorer the source the further away you have to sit. Ilike playing games on the RD50 from a distance of 3 feet you cancan go closer & still have perfect picture quality but i find it gets a bit overpowering but not in a strain on the eyes kind of way if that makes any sense.

15. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

DLPgirl,

For the first two weeks I found that I seemed to feel eye strain and turned the contrast down quite a bit. I know have the set for a month and I am up to a contrast level of 85 and my eyes seem to have got used to the set. You might find like me it took a while to get used to the bright large screen.

no problem now, although it did worry me at the time!

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    As DLP hopeful says you shouldnt experiance eye strain. Re-adjust your settings and the problem should be eliminated.

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Optama RD50 the preset picture settings are TV, Cinema ,Vivid & User
    when i first had my set i used vivid most for the first day, it had the most punch but i soon realised that Cinema had the best picture quality with almost any source.
    I sometimes use vivid if it's a sunny day & i don't want to close the curtains.
    I find it hard to improve on the Cinema settings by using the user controls but whenever i do have to tweak them for an older film or DVD contrast has to be turned down to improve the picture the aim is to bring out more detail & shades in the blacks
    while still retaining the very deepest black level.
    There is another alternative that might improve the picture for some people
    but may make it worse for others depending on whether you have got a good or bad make of DLP set.
    A visit to the Opticians :devil: