What is the best UK Laserdisc player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RandomHajile2, Nov 13, 2000.

1. RandomHajile2

RandomHajile2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im new an am planing on getting a laserdisc player finaly an whant to get one thats not to dear,like a dvl909 or cld925??? any tips???
    J

2. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i own a pioneer 919, very similar to the 909 and i really like it
    i would recommend it

3. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I own a 925 player and its very good indeed. However, Laserdisc seems to be on the way out and you may stuggle to find movies.

In my opinion, the picture quality seems more natural than DVD but DVD pictures are much sharper. If you have DVD, you may find the quality of laserdisc dissapointing by comparison.

4. RandomHajile2

RandomHajile2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx guys i got a dvd player,but diss liek the digital artifacts,even though T2 an M:I-2 have amazing pictures its still compressed,an all so i hears that laser disc sounds better!!! an are made better compared to dvd players
    J

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    What digital artifacts? Can't say I have seen a really bad DVD... Laserdisc does sound good (I have about 40 of them ) but there is no contest when it comes to the picture..its very grainy compared to DVD even on my 28" widescreen.

I think you will be very disappointed if you expect laserdisc to give you a better picture (esp if the disk has any imperfections so that you get white line dropouts during a film - damn things!)

My main reason for having a laserdisc player was due to the Star Wars movies and picking up cheap DTS movies.. I have stopped buying them now...

Cheers

Matt

6. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a 515 with ac3 output and the dd sound is excellent. It doesn't have svideo out but the composite pictures ok. Only one niggle, it won't output dts sound from a dts cd. I'm not sure if the player only outputs dd sound but no dts from any source or dd/dts from laserdisc only.

Anyone out there know?

------------------
    You tried and failed miserably. the lesson is - Never Try. Here endeth the lesson.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    The ultimate Laserdisc player in the UK was the Pioneer CLD-D925. No longer available except 2nd hand. And it's excellent. AFAIK, the combination LD/DVD players that superseded it, the 909 and 919, are essentially a 925 with DVD abilities added. The 909 is a 925 with bits of a 505 DVD player added. The 919 is a 925 with bits of a 515 DVD player added. So, in theory if you obtain either of these, you're getting a LD player as good as they get. I think the 919 is still in the catalogue and its DVD replay is better than the 909. Some stores have old stock 909s still available. If they ask for more than £400 you're being robbed. The 909 does have the advantage that its DVD region coding can easily be defeated with a simple solder blob on one of the boards inside. The same isn't true of the 919.

------------------
    You should not drink and bake.....

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The '925 had more features but the best performing UK LD player was the CLD-2950. Mechanical build quality was much higher than the flimsy 925 and the picture was smoother and more natural.

I never liked the 925. It's like they juiced the video circuity to get more detail but in the process introduced a lot more video noise. I went through THREE 925s before giving up due to video crosstalk.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    I have a large no. of LDs, so, to give myself some insurance, I bought a 2nd hand 925 even though my 2950 is still working perfectly. Having compared the two, it's the 2950 thats upstairs in a cupboard as spare, and the 925 that's in daily use.

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    I purchased bt first R1 DVD player towards the end of 1997. B4 that I had ( and still do ) I PIONEER 515 without the AC3 output [​IMG]

As the R2 software built up I wanted to get a dedicated R2 player and also was interested in getting the AC3 output from the 80+ LDs in my collection. So I purchased a 919. Its great, everything about it ( picture and sound ) for both LD and DVD are as good as I have found. The only thing that I have found that beet it for DVD output was the latest SONY and PIONEER models but I will NOT be buying one yet !

As for LD its quick and less ( but still a little ) noisy than previous models and gives great sound and picture

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 925 also and I am one of the few who prefer's both the picture and sound from Laser disc compared to DVD.

I think LD is more natural looking than DVD, and the sound simply blows DVD away (has anyone else found they have to turn down the volume on their subs when playing an LD compared to a DVD....or am I doing something wrong??)

Now before anyone starts saying that DVD is better than LD, I have to say that it is my own personal preferance...I am not saying which one is better, I am just telling you which I prefer.

As far as the 925 is concerned, I think it is a fantstic player, great sound and picture, s-video out, DD and DTS playback, extremely fast side change mechanism and some nice features such as pause and slo-mo from non-CAV discs.

I got mine from Empire Direct a couple of Years ago for £299 but I dont think they have any now.

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

12. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The 909 and 919 do not play DTS LD and the 909 will not play DTS DVD just so you know if that’s something that matters to you.

Steve

------------------
    No Money, No Parts, No Deal

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best player of them all was the very early (1992) Pioneer 1750.
    It had far the best build quality and pictures in pal and ntsc.It didn't have dolby digital but hey it wasn't in the cinemas until 1994.The thing was heavy which told you it was a quality built machine.
    When DD and DTS came on the scene i moved up to the 925 which was the only player to offer slow mo and frame capture on clv discs.It also had the quickest reverse play of all the machines.and to think i paid £900 for mine on the day it was released.(I also bought a Yamaha 3090 for £1700 the same day,my how fast thing change).

In closing i will say that in its hey day (Dolby equiped with dts )it was the king but the new boy in town is here to stay and the quality is getting better all the time.

So get rid off the notion of buying LD they are gone for good.Spend decent money on a middle to high end dvd deck and enjoy the future......(I once owned 2345 LD so you can imagine how hard it was to say that).

14. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there's been lots of postings about DTS recordings on LD being 2-3x higher bit-rate and MUCH better quality than DVD.. if you've got any DTS discs then this makes holding onto the player/discs worth doing

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Never been impressed by laserdisc. Only saw home cinema as being worthwhile when dvd came out.

16. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slightly off topic, but the best UK laserdisc players were theta players and the 'best laserdisc player in the world is'

according to those overat avs forum
    the pioneer hld x 9

£2500 and with clamps to hold the disc in place to stop it moving vertically.

this only plays lds, no cds or dvds

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

17. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus H,

For your information, the Theta Voyager is a universal DVD, CD and Laserdisc transport and is still available in the UK, I believe, should you have £6,990* spare cash floating around!! I would agree that the Voyager and the previous Data III models could probably hold their own with the very best in the world as laserdisc transports. However, the previous Data II and Data I models were not so hot in this respect. I have an elderly Data II that I still use as a CD transport. It's still formidable in this role and I have no wish to replace it with a DaViD or Carmen until a DVD-A compatible version of these transports becomes available.

My Data II is the PAL-only version; the NTSC versions may have been better, I've never seen one, but for me the picture is way too 'grainy' when compared to to my Pioneer CLD-D925 player.

My Data II is also away for repair again! The drawer sticks. It cost me £400 to repair last time, within the last 2 years, and it's just gone wrong again. All is not necessarily rosier at the high-end...

* this was the 1999 price, it's gone up a bit since then 'cos of the £'s weakness against the $

------------------
    "Miiiinnnd the doooors!"

[This message has been edited by Charlie Whitehouse (edited 03-01-2001).]

18. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seven grand seems a hell of a lot for a player.

avs folks seemed to reckon the HLD X9 was the pinnacle of laserdisc technology, above the theta and McIntosh players.

this seems odd given the price difference.

Your theta player certainly looks well built
    (although I think its time you moved house into somewhere about four times the size of your current home cinema, given the overbearing pesence of your kit)bit of a bummer about the pal only feature or lack on your theta player.

can you use the theta as a trnasport for NTSC discs with the 925 doing all the decoding work, or ddo you just use the 925.

Is it worth holding on to your theta player still, especially after all the repair work and the grainy picture?

SPare cash lying about. £6990!!!

i paid less than a tenth of that for my 919, multi region, at the beginning of last year.

That's worth more than my mother's car.

------------------

19. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus H,

The Data II had to be ordered as NTSC or PAL when purchased. I took a short-sighted decision because my previous Sony TV was PAL only, Home Cinema hadn't really occurred to me and the TV didn't look like it would need replacing for a long time. Wrong! I know the 29" replacement is far too small. I know, I know! But the projector I want (DWIN HD700, incidentally reviewed as part of a mega-expensive HC system in this month's HFN&RR) is still just a dream.

The Data II is indeed built like a tank. More like a Challenger than an M1 Abrams, though (some reliability problems!). It's based on a Philips' mechanism whereas the later players are all based on Pioneer mechanisms. Perhaps this accounts for the video performance difference. It won't play an NTSC disk at all; it just ejects it. Given the grainy picture quality and the fact I can only play PAL disks on the Theta, I now only use the 925 for laserdisks. However, that said, the Theta with a PAL pro-logic disk produces some awesome sound - Apollo 13 in Pro-logic beats the DTS DVD version for pure sound-quality hands-down even if not for surround effects. The launch and re-entry sequences are truly frightening!

I'll persevere with the Theta as a CD transport for a bit longer provided the repair costs aren't too great this time. I can't really afford the DaViD II that I want just yet. My Casablanca goes away for upgrade to a Casablanca II tomorrow (lots of £) so I'll be without it for a couple of weeks. Not too sure how I'm going to cope in the meantime! The system is used 3-5 hours EVERY day and I think withdrawal symptoms are going to start quite soon.

As for moving house, tell me about it! I've been thinking about it for nearly 10 years! Every time I get serious about it my employers start talking about rationalisation and redundancies so I'm not very keen to get overcommitted - same thing puts some kind (though not too much) of a brake on my HC spending!

My philosophy is to spend it while you can 'cos you can't take it with you and I'll be **ggered if the tax-man is going to get his hands on it!

------------------
    "Miiiinnnd the doooors!"

[This message has been edited by Charlie Whitehouse (edited 04-01-2001).]

20. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a similar dilemma, my TV is away getting fixed and i'm reduced to my parents old Saisho model, which is rather old, mono and buzzes concerningly. I also cant watch any NTSC laserdiscs or DVDs as its crap, think its to do with pal 60 or something.
    I'm surprised the Theta is one or t'other, would have thought it could be modded in some way to accept NTSC discs, however, given the price PAL and NTSC players may be of completely different designs.

------------------

21. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    I posted a little thing over on the Video projectors web site under "925 laserdisc and Sony VPL10HT problem"

It may be of interest to you.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !