1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best TV Out card?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wyerd, Jun 16, 2003.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Guys,

What graphics card would you recommend with the best TV out to display on a 32" widescreen TV? I'm going to be running Showshifter, so it doesn't have to be too OTT but a fairly reasonable price - say up to £150.

Cheers,
    David.

2. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was looking at the Nvidia cards and using TVtool, but then someone recommended the ATI cards. Are they worth looking at and which one would fill my requirements?

Cheers.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Is the card just for TV output or are you concerned with other issues? For £150 I'd buy an ATI 9500 Pro or 9600 Pro if you can't find a 9500. However those cards have fans which may not be desirable in a HTPC. They are very good alround cards for a multi-purpose PC though, with good 2D, 3D and tv-out.

I put a Crucial 7500 Pro in my HTPC as I am not concerned about performance other than tv out and general windows. It is fanless and very cheap at around £40.

Both cards give noticablely better tv output than my GF3. In that area ATI > Nvidia in my experience.

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm just looking at TV-Out to run ShowShifter.

Are there any issues with the ATI cards and Widescreen TV's? Overscan, boarders etc? I was looking at the Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis - £65 from Overclockers. Do you think it's overkill just for Video out?

Cheers,
    DAvid.