what is the best thing to use to clean the plasma screen?

Atari2600

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys

i had so many finger prints and water splash mark's on my plasma screen, caused by my little kids,

i used the special cloth provided (blue colour cloth).
one end i wet it in warm water and i wiped the screen then i dried it with the dried side but i cannot get rid of the smeer marks, i tried all diffrent directions of wiping the screen with the dry side but just cannot get rid of it and ive now got patches/mark of smeers all over the screen, i cant see it when the tv is on but when dark black screen or when tv is of i can see it.

how can i get rid of these smeers or what is the best thing to use?

what do you guys use to clean your plasma screen?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but make sure the screen has cooled down before you try to clean it.

I use a (slightly) damp microfibre cloth (the type used on cars, etc.) to clean the smears off mine, but I find that if the screen has been on recently and not cooled down, you tend to get smears as the water dries before I can wipe it off.

I subscribe to the dual-microfibre cloth theory.

One just damp enough to be effective and the other bone dry. Then a quick wipe with the damp, followed quickly by the dry normally brings my screen up a treat. I use the same principle for cleaning LCD screens and laptop screens also.

I'd agree with what Mike has said also, either clean before switching on or wait for it to cool down after switching off before trying to clean.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but make sure the screen has cooled down before you try to clean it.

I use a (slightly) damp microfibre cloth (the type used on cars, etc.) to clean the smears off mine, but I find that if the screen has been on recently and not cooled down, you tend to get smears as the water dries before I can wipe it off.

hi mate yes i do let the tv cool down first, its really annoying to see streaks all over the screen

This > E-cloth Polishing and Glass Cleaning Cloth: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home they remove all smears and clean brilliantly.
And a pledge fluffy duster to get the dust off all the major store's sell the pledge duster, i actually got one of my ecloths from tesco.

if you have stubben marks on the screen is it just water and this cloth to use to clean it? or some sort of chemicals??

is there any diffrence in e-cloth's ? as i have seen a few diffrent types at tesco and i didnt have a clue which one i needed so i came back empty handed.

any one else recommend this cloth that robthewire has recommended?

or any other cloths you guys recommend

Its the glass cloth jav, i have 2 of them i slightly damp to clean and a dry one to buff, there is several people on here who use the same cloth.

Yes its just water you need no chemicals at all.

Its the glass cloth jav, i have 2 of them i slightly damp to clean and a dry one to buff, there is several people on here who use the same cloth.

Yes its just water you need no chemicals at all.
Thats what I did but since my little one caked them in jam and the dog tried eating them I now use 2 cheap Microfiber cloths. I use them just the same as I did my ecloths and they even get rid of the strange crusty finger prints 2yr olds leave when they touch something shiny.:D;)

This > E-cloth Polishing and Glass Cleaning Cloth: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home they remove all smears and clean brilliantly.
And a pledge fluffy duster to get the dust off all the major store's sell the pledge duster, i actually got one of my ecloths from tesco.

ok thanks, i will buy this cloth thanks for the advise

how many cloth's come in this pack ? 1 or 2 ?

if 1 then i have seen the same cloth as a single pack for 0.99p im better of buying that one then rather paying 3 pounds or so? but will have a good snoop later on since i now know which cloth i need to buy.

Another vote for this cloth - this is exactly the same one I use (I know E-cloth actually make a tv screen cleaning cloth, but Tesco's didn't sell that one, so ended up buying the one you've linked to)...

It has been THE ONLY cloth that has ever worked brilliantly and one of the best things I've bought!

Definately get one of these (only one per pack)! Highly recommended!

PS - Also used to use the pedge fluffy duster type thing for the dust, I used to sweep this lightly around the screen after using the cloth (making sure it was all dried off) but I was horrified to see small marks on the screen after using this, so stopped using it - probably user error I admit!!

Last edited:
PS - Also used to use the pedge fluffy duster type thing for the dust, I used to sweep this lightly around the screen after using the cloth (making sure it was all dried off) but I was horrified to see small marks on the screen after using this, so stopped using it - probably user error I admit!!

Pledge duster 1st to shift the dust then the damp e-cloth then the dry e-cloth, bish bosh job done.

After you buff the screen you create slight static so if then you use the duster the static pulls some of the dust off the duster which will leave you bits of dust back on the screen :smashin:.

Hey guys. First off, sorry to bump such an old thread, but I need a little help if you can.

I have a couple year old Philips plasma TV, and I tried to use a damp cloth to clean the screen, but the water left a bunch of streaks and smears that I can't get to come off. After that, I tried distilled water and then monster screen cleaner, and they both left the same kind of smears. Even the tiniest little bit of distilled water leaves spots, so I'm not quite sure what to do. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks.

I just use a water spray with an eCloth, works perfectly and no nasty chemicals damaging the coating/glass.
Hey guys. First off, sorry to bump such an old thread, but I need a little help if you can.

I have a couple year old Philips plasma TV, and I tried to use a damp cloth to clean the screen, but the water left a bunch of streaks and smears that I can't get to come off. After that, I tried distilled water and then monster screen cleaner, and they both left the same kind of smears. Even the tiniest little bit of distilled water leaves spots, so I'm not quite sure what to do. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks.
Yes, get an eCloth. They work perfectly and no smears at all. But you'll also want a water spray to go with it as you can't saturate the cloth with water or it doesn't work. Just clean out and refill a Flash bottle or something.

Last edited:
i use baby wipes, you can get a big pack of 60 for usually £1, in fact i use baby wipes to clean everything, shoes, trainers, phones, laptops, consoles, etc.

i usually clean whilst it is hot and on, and i just buff out the smear marks with some hard rubbing after the baby wipe has dried out, which one will if you are cleaning a big hot screen.

Waterstreaks said:

Thanks.

What sort of cloth are you using? It really needs to be a microfiber cloth, only slightly damp. Wet it and ring it out like you hate it! You shouldn't need anything else. Rub gently, only increase pressure slightly for finger marks etc.

I used a clean dish towel, then the cloth that came with the monster screenclean, then a soft t shirt. It didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try the ecloth, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom