What is the best Subwoofer upto £3000?

Vipers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've kind of decided on a Velodyne DD15 after demoing it and being very impressed but I thought I should really look at other options before taking the plunge. I know also the SVS PB13 Ultra is thought very highly of and looks like great value for money, but I haven't demoed it as of yet.

I feel it needs to be a pretty powerful sub as I've got PMC EB1i's speakers which do a great job with low frequencies going down to 19Hz so my system doesn't feel like its lacking a sub but I just know you can't beat a good sub to do the those great movie LFE tracks justice, so I'm just wondering if anyone has got any other options I should consider?

Looking forward to everyones suggestions.

Thanks.

Spooky, I was going to post a similar question:rolleyes:

I think I might be a bit different and pull the trigger on the new B&W DB1, im awaiting an answer on availability.

Having never heard it, in fact I think no one has yet, it may be a 'slightly' crazy thing to do, but then ive always been a bit odd like that:D:suicide:

I think the velodyne is up there with the best isnt it?

haven´t heard DD15.. it is a excellent sub,but not for that kind of money.
I have ordered PB13,though i have never heard it before.With SVS we have a 45 trial period,so nothig to loose.
mike

I have ordered PB13,though i have never heard it before.With SVS we have a 45 trial period,so nothig to loose.
mike

The 45 day trial period is a good idea and worth bearing in mind.

Can you please let me know what you're overall impressions are when you've had a play :thumbsup:

I think I might be a bit different and pull the trigger on the new B&W DB1, im awaiting an answer on availability.

I wasn't even aware of the B&W DB1, had a quick google and it definately does look the business, any idea of cost?

Between £3k and £4K? Bit vague isnt it. Im awaiting confirmation on this and delivery times.

I may get lynched, but the PB13U is cracking for high SPL at sub 20/30hz??, but above that it left me wanting, or should I say not musical enough, if thats the correct thing to say?

It may have been a set up issue, but to my ears on 'both' demos, my little 12" sunfire nailed it in music, and wasnt too embarassed either for movies against the mighty Ultra.

I have never heard any other high end sub, so my experiences are limited. Thats why I was going to ask the forum for feedback/experiences.

I think speakers such as yours deserve a better sub that the Ultra IMO.

Im thinking also:

Fathom F113 (importing and warranty concerns me)
Seaton (as above)
AE 12 (good review here by Russell Williams)
SB16 Ultra (not out yet?)
MK?

Other than that im out of options to think about.

If I could acheive the fun bottom end of the Ultra, with the mid/upper bass notes of my sunfire, then im all ears, scuse' the pun.

DIY seems popular, and much much better VFM, but set up, size and finish concerns me.

Any comments greatly appreciated. Hope you dont mind me jumping in on your thread mate:rolleyes:

:confused:

The 45 day trial period is a good idea and worth bearing in mind.

Can you please let me know what you're overall impressions are when you've had a play :thumbsup:
sure i"ll let you know
,hopefully next week-the salesman said they should be sending it on monday:clap: ...cant wait till it gets here

With that kind of money, couldnt you consider 2 subs? A couple submersives would be amazing. If you dont have size constraints then there are some other cracking subs across the pond by all accounts. There are also high end companies like Genelec that might be worth looking into, I know they get some good reviews, and Illka Ressen (sp?) is now working in their bass department which can only be a good thing!

I'm into DIY in a big way now, and with 4K you could build something truley awsome (think 10K commercial sub). An IB is always worth a consideration, and if not there are some cracking drivers out there that would put the likes of the B&W and SW12 in their place.

At Medrep1, I'll be getting my sub finished in the next couple of weeks, along with one I'm building for Sammy the Squid. I'm building another one for Tyler and another cabinet for someone else, so you should have plenty of finished product to cast your eyes on from the DIY stable very soon. Personally I wouldnt go with the new MK, and would wait till about March when KK is supposed to be bringing some new products out. The Fathom wont match the SVS for performance which is why I built my own in the end although I dont doubt the sound quality of any high end sub. I think the SB16 will be interesting but while waiting the new Ken Kreisell stuff will be coming out and I reckon that will be better, but of course thats pure opinion (I'm an advocate of push-pull subs).

If it was my money and me, I would build an awsome 18" sub, or 2, or single twin driver sub if I had the space that was, but I'm a loon :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
ive heard both the svs ultras, a monitor audio rsw12, the mk mx 125s. The greatest sub was the mk mx5100, which retailed at around £3500,housed 2 12inch drivers, but is no longer available.

The week leading upto christmas i had a listen to moonflys sub. It had the depth of the ultra with the speed and slam of the mk's, making it the closest thing id heard to the mk5100.

Baring in mind Dans sub has two 15 inch drivers and an amp which is rated at 10 times the power of the 5100, id dare say dans is a touch in front! Im just waiting for him to make mine, so i have beloved bass!

Hi Vipers -

I recentley picked up a DD15 off the forums as this has always been a sub on my wish list after hearing a DD18 in a high end HC set up a few years back.

I also considered a PB Ultra - but decided to go the DD route as i listen to a lot of music as well as movies and feel that the DD will have the edge in this area - whilst retaining the super low end punch in the LFE dept.

Having owned this for just over a month now the performance upgrade in comparaision to my previous paradigm pdr 10 is 3 fold in terms of slam and intergration with music and so it should be given the RRP.

Also the build quality is 10/10 and blends in perfectly with the wood finish.
so asthetically it ticks all the boxes which i think long term espically if your HC is in your lounge can be very important and if it is positioned in your front stage it is much less intrusive than a big black box. (but thats just my feeling).

Ultimately though i think at this level you can't go wrong with most of the high end examples here - and its only when you hear one for the first time in your set up - then the penny will drop.

Happy hunting - and your welcome to come listen to my DD if your around.

Cheers.

rjrodders.

I've kind of decided on a Velodyne DD15 after demoing it and being very impressed but I thought I should really look at other options before taking the plunge. I know also the SVS PB13 Ultra is thought very highly of and looks like great value for money, but I haven't demoed it as of yet.

I feel it needs to be a pretty powerful sub as I've got PMC EB1i's speakers which do a great job with low frequencies going down to 19Hz so my system doesn't feel like its lacking a sub but I just know you can't beat a good sub to do the those great movie LFE tracks justice, so I'm just wondering if anyone has got any other options I should consider?

Looking forward to everyones suggestions.

Thanks.
If you only want a sub for movies and the size isn't an issue, buy a PB13U, end of story.

I have experienced the DD15 on number of occasions and rate it very highly, but with speakers that are so capable down to the mid 30Hz range, you just need a sledgehammer sub for the extra octave deeper. The D15 isn't that sub; The PB13 is.

Now if you want to experiment with a sub to fill in the bottom end the EB1s miss (Oh yes they do!) then that's a different question.;)

Russell

The ultra is the easy option for most people in this country if you want value for money because for performance per £ there is nothing to touch it unless you want to go the diy route.
Otherwise look to import.

Last edited:
Hi Vipers -

I recentley picked up a DD15 off the forums as this has always been a sub on my wish list after hearing a DD18 in a high end HC set up a few years back.

rjrodders.

Hi rjrodders,

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't realize you had a DD15, you lucky man :) this thread has definately thrown up some different options and definately caused some difference of opinions. Some food for thought definately.

Now if you want to experiment with a sub to fill in the bottom end the EB1s miss (Oh yes they do!) then that's a different question.;)

Russell

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the reply, maybe I should have called the thread 'What is the best sub to go with my PMC EB1i's' and your last sentence definately intrigued me, so, go on then, what is the answer?

is DIY an option? VFM can be had in that price range.

you could even get a cabinet maker to build the box and a car spray shop to do the finish and have a commercial looking sub.

is DIY an option? VFM can be had in that price range.

I hope that we aren't going to get this sort of response too many times because one or two forum members are interesting in making their own subwoofers otherwise it may start to catch on elsewhere and in the motoring forum we will get people recommending kit cars when asked what sort of car to buy for £X,000 :)

I may get lynched, but the PB13U is cracking for high SPL at sub 20/30hz??, but above that it left me wanting, or should I say not musical enough, if thats the correct thing to say?

It may have been a set up issue,

I have the cylindrical version of this sub and since setting it up properly with the aid of the Velodyne SMS-1 this sub is wonderfully musical. There have been hundreds if not thousands of these subs sold across the pond and the complaints about lacking musicality are very few and far between

To ease my curiousity yesterday I demoed the DD15 against the Kef Reference 209 @ £7000 with my EB's, I found the Kef really did offer loads of low end grunt but it just seemed a bit boomy and flabbly if that makes sense, where the DD15 seemed far more controlled and quicker but perhaps not delivering that intense bass that some like, but at under half the price of the Kef it didn't dissapoint.

Personally I'm not a bass junkie like some, I just want it to add to the LFE but not become overpowering but occasionally you want to feel it, at first with the DD it was a little lacking, apparently it was setup for the room correctly but I felt it needed a little more so we turned it up slightly and it was very impressive and it was only running at about 20% of what was available, so in my living room it should be awesome.

I'd still like to hear the SVS Ultra though, but so far the DD15 definately impressed.

I highly recommend a secondhand M&K MX5000 MK2 if you can get hold of a mint one. I find it faster,deeper and punchier then the velodynes. In my opinion one of the best subs less than 4K for home cinema.

Another highly regarded sub is a martin logan descent worth a listen.

I highly recommend a secondhand M&K MX5000 MK2 if you can get hold of a mint one. I find it faster,deeper and punchier then the velodynes. In my opinion one of the best subs less than 4K for home cinema.

The MK's are my favourite sounding subs by far (of the ones ive heard), and I have a lot of faith in their push/pull design. If you can get very lucky, and find one, then you really shouldnt miss the chance to grab it. Theres a strong chance that would be a long wait though, owners dont sell them as a rule!

As some members on here will know, ive pretty much searched high and low for an mk mx5100 and its predecessor, the mk mx5000. These subs are super rare.

If you're not in a super rush vipers, then Ken Kreisel will be releasing his new subs very soon..maybe worth a wait as he's the gentleman that invented the subwoofer and put the .1 into 5.1!

As some members on here will know, ive pretty much searched high and low for an mk mx5100 and its predecessor, the mk mx5000. These subs are super rare.

If you're not in a super rush vipers, then Ken Kreisel will be releasing his new subs very soon..maybe worth a wait as he's the gentleman that invented the subwoofer and put the .1 into 5.1!

sammy i thought you went to demo one no good.

The mx350thx is also a awesome sub very different in sound to the mx5000thx mk2.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom