1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best Star Trek series????

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Phil from 62, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what do people out there think is the best of the Star Trek series over the years?

Star Trek Original Series
    Star Trek TNG
    Deep Space Nine
    Voyager
    Enterprise

I personally like them all in their own way...though the new generation of Treks (i.e. from TNG onwards were far better than the original).

My overall favorite though was DS9....as it developed the story of the war with the Dominion etc it got more and more intriguing with great story lines. Also what a great diverse range of characters. Its just a shame they never made a DS9 movie for the cinema.

TNG with Picard obviuosly was a greta series, though it had its fair share of crappy episodes...but the introduction of the ultimate enemy in the Borg.

Of course Voyager created its own world of beings, planets by being in another quadrant and had some good story lines.

Enterprise OK....but my least favorite of the Star Trek family of series.

Anyone else? What do you think?...the floor is open.......

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I have to say TNG, followed by DS9 and Voyager.

I love how all these series tied in together in the same TNG universe.

I wish they had made another show set in that universe and expanded the federation idea even more.

I think doing Enterpriese was a bad idea. Im not saying it was a bad show, but its just wasnt the right step to take in my opinion.

Some good episodes did come out of that show though and some of the stories tied in with stuff that had happened or will happen in TNG and TOS.

One other good thing is the graphical quality of the show. Filmed in HD and the use of PC graphics made the show look better than any before.
    Writing and stories imporved over the seasons, but ultimately it was too little too late.

I say we need a one year break then a brand new show set in the future again.

New ship and crew. New stories with some continuity from TNG.
    Exploration is what made this show popular. Good writing and acting. I dont want to see already established actors (Scott Bakula) (Jefry Combs) playing major roles. I want a new cast with original actors.
    ie Patrick stewart was relatively unknown in the TV world and it paid off having him.

I also want to see berman and braga take a rest and hand the pen on to somone else.
    Perhaps a real trekky?

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    Have to say the very first, may be because I watched it first but it was a bit of a breakthrough and most where action packed the story moved along at a pace. The only thing the production values were not as good as the later ones. And one or two where cringe worthy but I do not think the others series had the range of stories the first had.
    It hit the ground running where the others took over a season to get in there stride.

Enterprise only got good in there last which I thought the final series reviled all the others single seasons from all the other inc Star Trek.

The first season of Voyager that 7 of 9 was in for the full run was very good.

Pat and Kate I thought gave the best performances as Captains and if I had to serve under one I would have picked Kate.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    1. Deep Space Nine
    2. The Next Generation
    3. Voyager

I'm too young for the original series ( :) ) and I haven't seen Enterprise yet (but am collecting the DVDs in order to watch it all in one go!)

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    The original series. The first and best bar none :smashin: :smashin:

And I have a feeling that this thread could start some real geek wars :eek:

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    DS9 for me from season 4 onwards had some of the best Trek episodes I've ever seen.

Got to admit I quite like Enterprise - the episode on Sky on Monday was a particular favourite and was a bit of a geek-fest for those who remember the original series episode 'The Tholian Web'

John

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The original series is the most entertaining. The later ones took themselves far too seriously , were very po-faced and clung to political correctness.

The original series photography is miles better than any of the others.

8. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
  9. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    1) TNG
    2) DS9
    3) TOS
    4) Enterprise
    5) Voyager

I remember being brought up with TOS (Trek Original Series) in the 70's after my dad got us our first colour TV, and being totally gob-smacked, by this colourful, vibrant universe.

Years later I was in a video store and picked up "Encounter At Farpoint" the pilot episode for TNG. I watched it, and although liking the characters - especially Picard, Data, Worf and the gorgeous Tasha Yar, couldn't believe what they'd done to the Enterprise (something I eventually got used to once it was shown as a series).

TNG became my favourite - although there were some dodgy episodes, especially in the first two series, including the worst episode of Trek (after Spock's Brain) "Shades of Grey".

DS9 - wow space-opera at its best - but pretty much the "black sheep" of the Trek family. Lots of intersecting story arcs, and interesting characters, and then Worf turned up to bolster an already great cast.

Voyager - I never really gave a toss for it - I have bought all of the episodes when released on VHS but have only watched them once (the whole 7 seasons is available for *free* should anyone want them! Just PM me - personal collection only). I just could not get over the fact that everyone got on together so quickly after the pilot - which took the edginess out of the series that should have been there.

Enterprise - been watching it on and off on Sky - but must admit that the latest (and last season) has definitely been the strongest so far. Although they've broken some of the continuity built up in earlier Trek's, they've also enhanced it e.g. the explaination as to why the TOS Klingons were sans forehead ridges - something that Worf stated as: "we do not discuss it with outsiders".

Personally think they should give it a rest now for a few years, to get the public hungry for a new series. Then either bring a series online set in Kirk's era, or approx. 100 years beyond the TNG era, taking us further into the future.

Or, they should do several mini-series (2 * 2 hour episodes) set in the Trek Universe - this could then be used to launch a new series. This would give the writers the potential to play around with big ideas, and would also allow them to see how the public react to the shows, without locking themselves into a series first.

10. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    TNG, without a doubt :)

Although Enterprise ain`t half bad....

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,462
    Yep, agreed, that episode is abysmal!

12. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    TNG is my favourite, not least because Patrick Stewart has a haircut like me!

(Unlike me, he also has considerable authority and stage presence.)

The franchise went gradually downhill after that, and Enterprise is totally abysmal.

I think they went to the well one time too many.

Glad so many still think highly of the original series.

It was way ahead of its time and "City on the Edge of Forever" has to be the best episode of ANY series.

LL&P. :smashin:

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I can tell you my worst star trek and that is Deep Space Nine. I loved all the others star treks but never took to this series.

I have only seen the first 2 series of DS9 I thought it was too claustrophobic. It depressed me. :(

Gutted that Enterprise was axed, it was getting so good. :confused:

BTW The Borg are brilliant. :D

14. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    TNG for me just such good charaters.

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    You didn't give it a chance then as, it started getting better in series 3 and then really took off with series 4.

John

16. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Agreed.

Worf did for DS9, what 7 of 9 did for Voyager. :thumbsup:

(I'm off now, to dream of what 7 of 9 could do for me. ;) )

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    MY question is now that they have axed Enterprise what is next in the Star Trek world?

I have read that they have nothing so far to replace Enterprise but expect in a few years time a new series in the Star Trek Universe will be brought out. :)

18. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    It's the first time in 18 years that there has not been a "new" Star Trek on TV.

What's needed is a re-invention - something similar to the remake of Battlestar Galactica, to reboot and revitalise the franchise.

I think the problem is that people have grown bored with Trek, as it presents a very "safe" view of things e.g. little inter-personal tension, and conflict.

TNG was probably the worst for this (although I still love it), there was lots of this in DS9, which did make it the "grittiest" version of Trek yet - Voyager had the potential, but pretty much after the pilot, everyone was loved up and became one happy crew, and it became a pale immitation of TNG, constantly re-treading "old ground".

A series set in the "Mirror Universe" would be most intruiging, where the "safeness" is removed.

19. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    For years there have been rumours of a series based on Startfleet Acadamy.

If it ever materialises, I've a feeling it will suffer from being too static (like DS9).

What they need, is to boldly go (anywhere!). ;)

20. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    For me it has to be:
    1 TNG (q and the borg)
    2 TOS (just a classic
    3 VOYAGER (seven of nine!!)
    4 ENTERPRISE (much better after series 1)
    5 DS9 (too coronationey street for me)

21. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The original series was remarkable for its time, but I don't think it's aged very well. It's hard for a modern audience to appreciate quite how radical it would have been in the late 1960s to have bridge crew that included a Japanese helmsman, a russian navigator, and a black, female communications officer, all without anyone particularly commenting on the fact.

I think I probably enjoyed DS9 the most - the average acting ability of the cast was better, and the storylines were satisfyingly much darker, with a good sense of an ongoing, evolving storyline between episodes. But each series has its own individual merits. There are some very good TNG episodes - generally the ones that focus on Picard (Patrick Stewart is really a very fine actor), but there are some good Data episodes too. Voyager took a long time to get going, but their run-ins with the Borg were always good value. Enterprise also got off to a shaky start, but season 3 I thought was actually very good, and season 4 isn't bad.

Judging by the story we're in the middle of on Sky One, Jolene Blalock does an awful lot of sit-ups. :eek:

22. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I enjoyed them all. Deep Space Nine took a while to get going, but was great at the end. The first two season of STNG weren't that great looking back on them.
    Biggest problem I would is the choice of actors Avery Brook who play Sisko never really did it for me, but the supporting actors were good. Same really with Enterprise, Scott Bukula I feel was an extremely bad choice. Whenever he tries to act angry I want to laugh, maybe I will never forget Quantum Leap.

23. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    I quite liked the later episodes of DS9- The gradual remiliterisation of the ships, crews and the society was (I thought) quite well done. I suppose, the reason why I like this is that for the rest of the time in all of the other series everybody is just so nice which begins to grate. In some of the battle sequences in DS9 there was a more Nelsonic "no captain can do very much wrong if he places his ship alongside that of an enemy" that was refreshing after watching everybody else mincing around brandishing the prime directive.

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    BORG Rules :D

Sorry I just couldn't resist that :devil:

Votes for the best Borg episode? :smashin:

25. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Problem with the Borg was that, having been almost unstoppable in TNG, they were used so much in Voyager that they lost a lot of their 'terror' as they got easier and easier to beat as the series went on.

John

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I still love the BORG :devil:

27. Dipman

Dipman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got to say my favorite was TNG for the action and stories, for the characters it was DS9 (how good were Quark and Weyoon). I think the current season of Enterprise has been as good as TNG or DS9,its just a pitty it took them this long to get into their stride. I think Manny Coto got back to what Trek should be.

By the way why did they cancel Oddesey 5?

28. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd probably say DS9 since it was the least "trek" of all of them , which of course is a good thing except I kept feeling it was kind of contradicting previous series by adding the darker grey areas of the federation, compared to the light n' fluffy trek where all earth's problems have been solved. Clearly B&B stole the premise from JMS' Babylon 5 (during the year Paramout had his story ideas hoping to be made by paramount) and going head to head with B5 made DS9 work harder to improve it's stories and writing.

I never cared for TOS & prefer to think of Trek from TNG onwards plus the movies with kirk & co.

Enterprise showed promise during S3 but has failed to deliver before or since. I knew a prequel was a bad idea as soon as I read about it hopefully Trek will learn from they're mistakes & follow BSG's example of qualty scifi...well at least so far , so good!

29. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Best of both worlds, part 1

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: