What is the BEST standalone Divx/Xvid player?

Ratcatcher

Standard Member
I was wondering what the best divx/xvid player is right now. I previously owned a Kiss-DP1000 however it has broken. Im not too bothered about dvd's or upcaling as I already have another player. Im considering the Pioneer 696 however ive seen cheaper players around the £50 mark - however I will be willing to part with the money for a divx/xvid player that can play everything (xvid,divx,Qpel, packed bitstream, except maybe HD-Divx). I do want it to look nice and have some build quality, preferably a brand name, unlike most of the £30-60 models ive seen which look like they are going to fall apart.

I have read some people have had problems with the 696 with Divx movies other than HD-divx, is this true, which files will it not play?

Thanks

madhouse

Hiya,

I have the Pioneer DV-696 and can confirm that up to now I have had absolutely no problems. Yesterday I thought I had a first problem with an xvid - it was a bit jittery - my xbox did the same thing though. I put the file on a newer rewriteable and it played without probs. I watch tons of divx/xvid - all of my favourite US TV shows - and in the last 3 -4 weeks (since iI bought it) have not had a single glitch at all. So with regards to compatibility I would highly recommend this model.

But try and have a listen at the dvd drive first - mine is not exactly quiet - that's why I may end up getting rid of it, as I don't need high volume late at night when catching up on downloaded TV shows and can often hear the drive in the background.

If you need anything else let me know.

Cheers,

Simon
Wiesbaden, Germany

Greg Mandel

I was wondering what the best divx/xvid player is right now. I previously owned a Kiss-DP1000 however it has broken. Im not too bothered about dvd's or upcaling as I already have another player. Im considering the Pioneer 696 however ive seen cheaper players around the £50 mark - however I will be willing to part with the money for a divx/xvid player that can play everything (xvid,divx,Qpel, packed bitstream, except maybe HD-Divx). I do want it to look nice and have some build quality, preferably a brand name, unlike most of the £30-60 models ive seen which look like they are going to fall apart.

I have read some people have had problems with the 696 with Divx movies other than HD-divx, is this true, which files will it not play?

Thanks
There's the very long 696 thread, in which I did a lot of tests on mpeg 4 compatability. Basically the only things the 696 doesn't play are HD-Divx, and anything with broken audio. I found a couple of files with badly broken audio that caused the movie to stutter badly, but they were fixed just by running them through Virtualdub. I tried Xvid, Divx, packed bitstream, 24/25/30 FPS, PAL/NTSC, various resolutions. I can't remember if I checked Qpel, but then very few people use it as it's outside the Divx certified profiles.

borland

Novice Member

Thanks
I am afraid the only option for you is media PC or much better and cheaper option modified X-BOX. It can do everything you need + upscaling and games. You can't play High Def buy you can play:

Supported input media formats and devices:

Play media-files directly from a CD, VCD or DVD media in the Xbox's DVD-ROM drive #2
(Supported CD/DVD formats: ISO 9660 Mode1/2/XA, UDF 1.02 and XDVDFS/CDX)
Play media-files directly from Xbox built-in hard drive or a network) #4
Stream media-files from a computer over a network via UPnP XBMS, or SMB/SAMBA/CIFS
Including all NAS (Network Attached Storage) that support UPnP or SMB/SAMBA/CIFS
iTunes Music Shares via DAAP (network stream from Apple iTunes 6.x on Mac or PC) #5/#11
Stream supported media-files from the internet (if the stream-format is supported too) #5/#11
Stream media STORED, (NOT COMPRESSED), directly from RAR and ZIP archives
Xbox Memory Cards (FATX) and USB Mass Storage Devices (FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 formated)
Including most USB Mass Storage Devices (like memory-keys/sticks) smaller than 4GB

Supported file/container formats:

Audio-CD (CDDA) playback for normal audio CD's (including CD-TEXT support #7)
SVCD and VCD (Video CD) video, (SVCD/VCD menus are not supported yet)
DVD-Video directly from Xbox DVD-ROM drive, Harddisk-drive or network
MPEG, MPG, M2V formats (inc. VCD's .dat and .bin and DVD's .vob)
MPEG-TS (TY/TS/DV) DVB transport stream format
MP4 (MPEG-4 video) container
RIFF AVI (AVI 1.0) container
OpenDML AVI (AVI 2.0) container #1
BivX (AVI with several audio streams) container
Microsoft ASF/ASX/WMV/WMA containers #5
Microsoft DVR-MS (Windows Media Center) containers #5
QuickTime QT/MOV containers #5
Nullsoft Steaming Video (NSV) containers #1
Nullsoft Steaming Audio (NSA) containers
MPA, MP2, MP3 and WAV containers #5
AAC, M4A, MP4 (MPEG-4 audio) audio containers #5
RealMedia (Real Video/Audio) RM/RAM/RA/RV/RMVB containers #1
OGG and OGM containers
Matroska (матрёшка) MKV containers #1
VIVO (VIV) containers
PVA containers
NuppelVideo containers
FLI and FLC containers
Tracker Mods (18 formats supported) audio
M3U, PLS, CUE and STRM audio/video playlists #1

Supported video codecs:

MPEG-1 (VCD/MPG) and MPEG-2 (MPEG/SVCD/DVD/VOB/DV/TY) video
MPEG-4 ASP: DivX;-) 3.11, OpenDivX 4.0, DivX 5.x/6.x (Pro), XviD 1.x and Nero Digital ASP
MPEG-4 AVC - Advanced Video Coding (H.264); Nero Digital AVC and x264 video codec #1
Microsoft's Windows Media Video v7, v8 and v9 (MSMpeg4/WMV v1, v2, and v3)
RealVideo codecs: 1.0, 2.0 (RealPlayer G2), 3.0 (RealPlayer 8) and 4.0 (RealPlayer 9)
QuickTime 5.0, 6.0, 6.3 video and audio codecs (QDMC / QDM2) #1
3ivx D4 / 3vi1 MPEG-4 video (inc. MSZH/ZLIB Compressed-Header containers) #1
Sorenson v1/v3 (SVQ1/SVQ3) QuickTime video
Apple Graphics (SMC) video
On2 Technologies VP3 (VP3.x), VP4 (VP4.x), VP5 (VP5.x), and VP6 (VP6.2)
Intel Indeo 3.1/3.2 (Indeo3)
NuppelVideo (NUV)
VIVO 1.0 and 2.0 (VIV)
ITU H.261 video
Creative Labs YUV (CYUV) video
Supermac Cinepak (CVID) video
ASUS V1 (ASV1) and ASUS V2 (ASV2) video
Autodesk FLI and FLC Animation

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom