Answered What Is The Best Speaker Out There For A Budget Of £1,500?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by AlwaysHeadFirst, May 9, 2018.

1. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +266
      Ugg10 - you guessed almost spot on. If you have any inclination for the lottery numbers in this weekend's draw, maybe PM me?

IME, I'd be looking at speakers with a 6 -7 " bass or bass/mid unit in each cabinet, or broadly equivalent cone area, so KEF 300 and KEF 500 would fit the bill though I can't recommend them as I haven't heard them. This is a generalisation based on my experience of using many speakers in many rooms but there are no solid rules and there may be exceptions. I once used a 45ltr closed box speaker with 8" Volt bass unit in a smaller room than yours but it kind of worked because it was a three-way active and had flexible L.F. EQ which I employed to reduce bass in that room.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,914
      The R300s certainly go deep enough for me, as, like everything else it's down to personal taste. The bass on the speakers depends a lot on the amp that they are married to. In my recent excursion to buy an amp both Naims that I auditioned failed to get a good grip on the 300s whereas the Rega controlled it in a fast and exciting manner. That ability has thankfully transferred from the audition room to my home.

I think that with auditions you just have to got into it with a small short list and if nothing floats your boat then don't feel you have to buy the best sounding one. It's best to go back to the drawing board until you find one that makes the hair on your arms stand on end.

3. lindsayt

lindsayt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +47
      These speakers:
      Altec Lancing Voice of the theater speakers | eBay

will comfortably sound better in your room than any speakers you'll find in your nearest dealers for under £1500. The difference between these and slimline £1500 ported speakers would not be subtle.
      They also illustrate my point about 70 kg, million yen, £500 speakers.
      As well as my point about best sounding speakers probably not being the best all-round speakers for you.

And as stranger said, you won't find any 70 kg speakers at your dealers for £1500. But you will find enough of them on ebay.

Those Altecs are only one example of the sort of speakers that would give you best sound quality in your room for £1200.

4. AlwaysHeadFirst

AlwaysHeadFirst
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0

They are “Black Edition” and maybe not that popular so the last few have been reduced?

I can’t imagine there is anything wrong with them as they are the same speaker but just different colour?

5. AlwaysHeadFirst

AlwaysHeadFirst
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0

Ah ok, would the 926 provide more bass?

I think I would want true bass rather than over the top bass however - a movie like Transfomers where lots of explosions - bass would be needed to bring that experience out into the room!

6. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,305
      No. About the same if I remember right as they use the same sized woofers, though I think the 926 have a slightly bigger enclosure. The 936 go lower as they have an additional woofer.

7. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      +1 on the Kef R500's . I have a set and they are superb.

HOWEVER , as Superfi have the R700's black edition for £1400 I wouldn't hesitate.
      Don't delay, buy today. That's where my money would go.
      Absolutely superb set of speakers and at a great discount. And NO there is nothing wrong with them , they are brand new and I did go an listen / see a pair at superfi .
      I very much doubt you will get anything better at that price.

8. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +591
      I'm surprised monitor audio silver 300/500 didn't get a mention here - do people not think much of them? (I've never heard them - so no idea idea way).

9. AlwaysHeadFirst

AlwaysHeadFirst
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0

Kef R700 v PMC Twenty 24?

Because I could just about stretch to £2,000?

Or would I be better off for Kef's for my needs?

10. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +638
      Only you can answer that. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different.

For overall clarity the PMC's are hard to beat. they have a smooth neutral tone that really captures me whenever i hear them.

The Kef R700's may be a bit big and for your room would defo consider the r300 or 500's. they are more laid back sounding but very refined with ample bass. they do not bloat the bass frequencies just play back what is there. they are all rear ported so will need to be placed away from rear wall and as many have said, thrive on power to get the bet out of them.

11. mudan

mudan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      I've heard several in that price bracket and bought the Monitor Audio Silver 300 - excellent boxes. Look at some reviews too - several great ones online...but as someone said here, you need to hear before you buy. If you're not such an audiophile or with a good ear simply go by looks, reviews and biggest discount.

12. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
      Ratings:
      +579
      Musically the R500 are a far more balanced sound whereas the R700 really require a lot of current to make them sound better that the R500's. The only amp I've ever heard the R700's sound better than the R500's is with the Unison Research Simply Italy and that was listening to "The Prodigy - Jilted for the Generation" They sounded amazing, but with any other amp from Arcam, Creek and other main stream brands they just don't cut it musically, like for like. I'd have to say that the R700's get beaten by its smaller sibling. That's my own thoughts which is why speakers are so personal. I bet a few are amazed at what I've said here

As for other brands, you really need to go out and have a listen.

13. GOM

GOM

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      THESE...replaced a pair of 901 Series III, smaller, better looking and sound terrific. Couldn't be more pleased.
      Bob

fullsizeoutput_12f6.jpeg

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    14. Goodmane

Goodmane

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      So long as you are getting a 3 way speaker or using a subwoofer/subwoofers for the low end, I agree with this sentiment. In fact I think aesthetics are really important in terms of enjoying your speakers, else everyone would save money and buy DIY MDF boxes...

I know this is a hifi question, but I also think whatever speakers you choose for AV should have matching speakers in the range for ceiling / surrounds / centres if it's for home theatre. Matching the timbre is more important than the absolute sound quality in my opinion.

15. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +782
      It shows that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, to me these look like something a Texan would wear on his fingers :eek: (yes I've been to Texas)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    16. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,103
      About 6 years ago, I went to audition the KEF R700s intending on purchasing them.
      I came away with the R500s instead, and I'm still delighted with them to this day.

The Uni-Q driver is unique, and IMO nothing compares once you've experienced the lack of 'off axis' blurring that occurs with traditional driver arrays. Also, if you ever intend to place them in an AV setup, then you'll wish you had a uni-Q driver on the centre channel to avoid 'lobing'... and it would be a good idea to match that with your main speakers.

The reason I came away with the R500s instead of the R700s was simply because:
      - they look much more elegantly sized and proportioned.
      - they still provide enough bass, and any more would probably dominate my room.
      - to me, the narrower front baffle allowed the mid and treble to 'breathe' a little better than the R700s.

If I was buying again today, I'd either buy the R500s again, or get the KEF LS50s (£800) and a pair of subwoofers.
      The LS50s are stunning.

17. Nallen0401

Nallen0401

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      A bit gutted reading this thread, my R500s were 1350 and I've only had them 6 months.

Okay I feel a bit better.

18. meagabyte

meagabyte

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +117
      I second Kef, but maybe the Q750 or 950? not as good as your R range but takes less to drive them and are very sensitive to the smaller amps. Also with the saving you can get the Q650 Center and let your movies come to life.
      But as everyone has said Demo Demo Demo!
      no amount of advice, reviews or specs will compare to hearing them with your own ears.