What is the best Processor??

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by yatesd, Jun 24, 2002.

1. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Looking for a Surround Sound Processor to add to an existing Pre and Power amp HiFi setup. Was lookng to spend around 1000 GBP, and was hoping to get some suggestions.

Thanks,

Dave.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,067
    For that price, Rotel RSP-1066, looks to be your best bet, but it's just been released, and haven't seen any reviews on it yet. But i doubt its going to be rubbish.

3. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion, found this review if you are interested.

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2002/0701.html

Seems to be more money though, although maybe that is my conversion, will have a look at their home page as well.

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi
    u dont say wether u want new or second hand , if your going for second hand i would suggest a Lexicon dc1 u should be able to pick one up for not much more money, i recently sold mine for £1100.00 ish and they are excellent try and go for one with the v4 software upgrade it will give u EX capabilities it will still give u many years of pleasure

regards

richard

5. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not that bothered about going Second hand if I can find a good example.

I am actually trying to sell a few bits myself at the minute as part of my upgrading, and have bought second hand without troubles in the past.

I will have a look at the Lexicon as well then, any others if I now included second hand into the equation??

Dave.

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a stereo pre/power combo, then as well as an AV processor (such as the RSP1066 suggested above) you're also going to need a multichannel amplifier. Your existing stereo pre/power combo will take care of the two main fronts, but you'll need something to drive the rest of the speakers too (either 3 channel for 5.1, or 4 or 5 channel for 6.1 (or if you have a passive sub which needs powering).

Yamaha made the DSPE800, which was an AV processor with the extra 3 amp channels needed to drive the centre and rears, but AFAIK, it's been discontinued - you may still be able to pick one up for around £250 though. No ES/EX/DPL2 etc though - it's plain 5.1 DD/DTS only.

Marantz do a "monobloc" single channel amp for around £200 each - but you'd need at least three of these for DD/DTS, and four or more for DTS-ES/DD-EX.

Having said all that, any AV amp or receiver with pre-outs for all channels, can be used as a processor or procesor/power amp integrated combo. It will take care of driving all speakers except the main front left and right, which will be driven by your existsing hifi combo (via the pre-outs from the AV amp).

With your budget, there's quite a few candidates, but perhaps the two that stand out at the moment are the Denon AVR3802 (soon to be replaced by the 3803 it seems) which is available for around £650, and the new Sony STRVA555ES, which is around £800ish.
    Both support pretty near all currently available formats (with the exception of CSII, which is really only an issue if you watch a lot of stereo (DPL) movies/programmes - and even then may not offer that much over and above DPL2 and DTS Neo:6, although first reports are suggesting it's better than either of those. If you want that, you'll have to wait, as it's brand new on the market - only the imminent Kenwood midrange AV receivers are so far equipped with it, and these may not be up to standard you seem to be looking for (although I can't really say, as I've never heard them). Also, AFAIK, neither feature a DTS 24/96 decoder - that's pretty new as well, and again AFAIK, only the higher end stuff has that, which is quite a bit above your budget.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Except the new Rotel I think you won't find any true AV pre-amp/processor within your budget.
    Hence you might consider MikeK's suggestion to use an AV amp/receiver as processor and use the amplification provided for center and rear / surround backs.
    This might be the better option if you actually intent to keep your existing stereo preamp.