1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best plama for viewing Sky?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Jun 26, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    95% of my viewing is Sky(+) rather than DVD so I am interested on your thoughts regarding which plasma (up to 42") gives the best Sky picture quality.

I remember a thread from people who had been to a Nexnix demo saying that the Sky picture quality seemed to be inversely related to the DVD performance e.g. Hitachi gave the best DVD performance (worst Sky PQ) and the Panny the best Sky performance (worst DVD PQ).

Is this anything to do with the Hitachi having the highest resolution and the Panny the lowest i.e. the upscaling on the Hitachi magnified Sky faults and the Panny downscaling minimised them?

I understand from various other threads that an Iscan Ultra can improve Sky quality significantly. if I want to use one of these does this mean that I should avoid the Alis based screens as these screens are naturally interlaced? (I remember one Hitachi owners post saying that despite this, the Hitachi still had better PQ with a progressive DVD rather than an interlaced one.) Does the Iscan work best with plasmas of certain resolutions?

2. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary.
    I was one of those who, with money burning a hole in my pocket, was at the Nexnix shoot out.
    The conclusive opinion of everybody present was:
    DVD - 1st Hitachi 400e 2nd. Pioneer MXE 3rd Panny
    Sky 1st. Panny 2nd. Pio 3rd Hitachi ie. a complete reversal. We concluded that yes, the best quality screen overall was weakest on Sky because it showed up more faults/defects in the **** poor PQ of the broadcast, hence the complete reversal above. 2 of us who watch 95% odd Sky came away most disappointed. I cannot comment on scalers/delacers as have not seen any hooked up.
    At time of post my money is still awaiting being spent.
    Regards

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    LOL. And why is that?

The first consideration is a plasma/LCD that does not downscale the picture. PAL and therefore Sky is 576 lines, if you have a plasma that only has 480 rows of pixels then 20% of the picture information will be removed during the scale down.

If you can afford it, choose a plasma with more than 480 rows in resolution -- this will have the greatest effect on your Sky picture quality.

Likewise your viewing of PAL DVDs.

Note: for a lot of detail search this plasma forum for "Sky picture quality"

Here's a list of all current plasmas and their resolution, from thoses excellent Ivojo Multimedia people. Click here

StooMonster

4. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    :hiya:

I'm very happy with the PQ watching sky on my Hitachi 42 pma400e :)

Remeber you will never find the perfect plasma,well not for now anyway :smoke:

dvd

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Has anyone out there tried using the Iscan Ultra with the Hitachi display? (Or any of the other Alis screens?)