• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is the best photo printer?

cambsno

Can anyone recommend a good photo printer.

I currently have a HP Photosmart 7350 and am pretty pleased with results (and my previous HP too). I do some basic printing (normal word processing etc...) but really after a good photo printer which will match or exceed the results I get from Tesco/Boots.

I probably dont want to go down the route of one of the small 6x4 printers but anyones recommendations on basic specs would be useful.

I

imcarm

I've been very impressed with my Canon Pixma iP4000 (product is sadly no longer manufactured). This printer does produce very good quality prints even with cheap photo paper and compatible cartridges.

Check out the Canon Pixma iP5300 Printer, this looks to be the succesor to the iP4000.

Not sure on your budget but you should be able to pick up the iP5300 for under £90 incl vat and delivery.

Yandros

Canon iP6700D - £120 inc VAT from www.dabs.com

It's so good that I'm buying one for the office now as well my own personal one.

We have one of the older high end Canon Pixmas at work, and have been very happy with the results and reliability. The 6700D has the best image quality around, and also much lower ink use than Epson & HP. The only downside is that the Canon ink isn't quite as fade resistant as the high end Epsons apparently.

If you can't run to the 6700, look at some of the cheaper Pixma models (eg the 5300 mentioned above)

senu

Distinguished Member
Like you I have the HP 7350 but use it mainly for everyday printing as it is rugged and very sturdy .Its photoprint abilities are very paper dependent (IMO) and also rely on how much care you take to prepare the photo for print

In addition Ive been using Epson R300 for photoprinting till lately and can honestly say: the Epsons Rock:smashin:
but
This week end I connected up my Canon EOS 30D direct to a Canon Pixma ip4200: There was the wow! factor: I was very impressed with the output and speed. The model nos confuse me though.. even it seems to have been superseded:confused:

I think there are newer fade resistant inks to rival the Epsons . I'm not sure how running costs compare and how Non Brand paper friendly they are

Which ever photo printer you use ( including Photobox Boots or Tescos), preparing the images for print always pays off ( sometimes getting it right can be a matter of trial and error till you find out which settings work best)

To put things in context,
I have an A4 photograph of my Daughter ( now 6 years old) taken shortly after birth on the living room mantelpiece.
It was taken with a 2Mp Olympus and printed off an " average" HP photoprinter ( genuine inks and Jessop photo paper).
It is still quite sharp and colourful.:smashin:
I imagine longevity of the outputs from the photoprinters can be helped with careful exposure to direct sunlight ect..

denno75uk

Photobox. :thumbsup: :rotfl:

Sorry couldn't resist. :devil:

Although ScottBT suggested it as a joke, there may be something in this.

I've always understood printing photos at home to be quite a pricey business when you factor in paper and ink to the printer cost. I seem to remember a gadget show from a while back estimating the costs of printing at home to be around 30-50p per 6X4. This doesn't factor in the errors leading to waste either, which admittedly may just be peculiar to me.

As a comparison, I got 20 6X4's from Kodak recently for £2.64 delivered. Granted there was an offer on but sites like Kodak and Photobox usually charge around 15p for 6X4 and 30p for 5X7. Plus the convenience of larger prints. They also have offers regularly so if you do a large print dump when prices are best you could save a fortune.

I have a Canon Pixma IP4000 (not the newest granted) which does impress me alot with quality when I use the right paper, but it isn't a patch on the quality from the pro online printers.

mansell

I'm stil using my old Epson R200, it's not cheap but if you use epson media and inks the output is fantastic.

There are some excellent recycled ink's out there but you do have to shop around.

The most important thing with Epson is to use Epson paper, I've tried top of the range kodak for instance and the colour's are very dull when compared.

senu

Distinguished Member
Although ScottBT suggested it as a joke, there may be something in this.

I've always understood printing photos at home to be quite a pricey business when you factor in paper and ink to the printer cost. I seem to remember a gadget show from a while back estimating the costs of printing at home to be around 30-50p per 6X4. This doesn't factor in the errors leading to waste either, which admittedly may just be peculiar to me.

As a comparison, I got 20 6X4's from Kodak recently for £2.64 delivered... ...

I have a Canon Pixma IP4000 (not the newest granted) which does impress me alot with quality when I use the right paper, but it isn't a patch on the quality from the pro online printers...

There is no doubt that printing at home ( even with Continous Ink supply systems) is costlier
For any bulk printing they will cost a fair bit in ink and paper as well as time. The inkheads also have a lifespan
but
For the immediacy and ( to be honest quite good quality with good paper and inks) it is worth having one and expecting good things from it.

Also printing from them as "proofs" ( better than screen monitoring) prior to making a large run at a Pro online or high street printer is invaluable.

Photo Montages, Banners, CD DVD printing, Small runs of invites and Quick personalised cards and photo derived fun print projects are other reasons for an onsite printer

There are ways to minimise cost ( cheap but very good paper, compatible inks ect) but the moral is to own one and know when not to use it;)

suzieemm

Standard Member
Which Report says CANON PIXMA IP3300 as a best buy. I reported to them I can't buy it as it's listed from all companies as being discontinued so they have now removed it. I REALLY WANT TO STILL BUY THIS PRINTER! Can anyone recommend where I can buy this discontinued make, hopefully at a 'discontinued' price? Canon's new model of this, Pixma IP3500 appears to have rather bad reviews so don't want to buy the newer model. I've set my heart on this model having read the write up's and don't want to have to buy something else. I live in the Souteast and wonder if there is anywhere I could get to locally to purchase.

senu

Distinguished Member
Get the 4500
At the time the 3300 was reviewed it was not out
and unlike the 3500 I have read nothing negative about it

With all due respect, Which doesn't always get it right.
They rated Nikons D80 over the Canon 40D.. :eek:!

Gingerbillc

I have the canon iP5000 and its superb. The inks are the same for most of the pixima range and they last ages. If you are worried about fade(I'm not, none of mine have faded in conservatory, but my old epsom pics have) you can get 'photo' versions of the inks for pixima printers, they cost a quid more than standard colour.

cambsno

I got the Canon MP610 and very impressed. Copies and scans well and photo quality is very good and fast. I used to like my 2 previous HPs but think this is much better and like the fact you have individual cartridges.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom