• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is the best (PAL) video capture device for the Mac?

jowie

Standard Member
Hi,

I need to replace an old PAL DVD recorder that has a poorly drive mechanism. Rather than buying a third machine, I was thinking it might be better to get a video capture card instead, as hopefully it will last longer.

I want it to be MPEG-2 because I don't want to have to re-encode stuff for burning to DVD. I also need it to be full 25i 720x576 resolution with a decent bit rate (up to about 10Mbit). I want the quality to be as good as possible (most stuff is being ripped from a digital source) so I'd prefer something that accepts component/RGB/S-video rather than composite.

Any ideas please? Thanks!

iamsludge

Prominent Member
What Mac is it? What video source is it? Maybe you don't need a capture card per se and can use something like iGrabber usb device?

Then again, I would have thought nowadays a capture card or orher accessory wouldn't be necessary except for high end professional use.

Last time I did video capture was a few years ago but even then capture from a digital camcorder with firewire output to a Mac without a capture card afforded excellent results (better than the £100k Avid solution I used many moons ago anyway)

jowie

Standard Member
What Mac is it? What video source is it? Maybe you don't need a capture card per se and can use something like iGrabber usb device?
It's a 15" rMBP, so it has USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. I also have a FW800 adapter. The video sources I wish to record are programmes from a Sky+HD box (non-HD material) and the odd VHS.

I had a look at the iGrabber specs and on the whole they look pretty impressive, however I'm a bit concerned by the resolution which is quoted as 640 x 480... This is NTSC whereas PAL should be 720 (or 768) x 576...

Then again, I would have thought nowadays a capture card or orher accessory wouldn't be necessary except for high end professional use.
I'd be quite happy with whatever, as long as it comes highly recommended! What I want to avoid are moire patterns you usually get from composite cables! (yuk)

Last edited:

iamsludge

Prominent Member
Sorry no-one has given you a reccomendation. To elaborate on what I did was buy a digital camcorder with analogue video inputs so I could record analogue video onto digital tape and then output via firewire straight into the mac.

Hope that helps.

manatee

Standard Member
jowie said:
Hi,

I need to replace an old PAL DVD recorder that has a poorly drive mechanism. Rather than buying a third machine, I was thinking it might be better to get a video capture card instead, as hopefully it will last longer.

I want it to be MPEG-2 because I don't want to have to re-encode stuff for burning to DVD. I also need it to be full 25i 720x576 resolution with a decent bit rate (up to about 10Mbit). I want the quality to be as good as possible (most stuff is being ripped from a digital source) so I'd prefer something that accepts component/RGB/S-video rather than composite.

Any ideas please? Thanks!

Try Grass Valley device such as http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110. Works well with my iMac and professional quality capture.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom