What is the best option to get good audio from my imac

zenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have an imac 27 (2010) and have it paired with some bose companion 20 speakers through the headphone jack. the sound from the speakers is obviously a lot better than the imacs internal speakers, however i want better sound for music listening on itunes and for watching movies.
Also i would like the option of connecting a good pair of speakers and also a good pair of headphones. Would something like a dac be the best solution?

W

Thanks for the link.

There are many dacs out there but not sure which one to go for.

Want something decent to drive a pair of speakers and some good quality headphones like the Sennheiser HD600 or Beyerdynamics DT990pro.

Also, would I be limited to only certain types of speakers to pair with the DAC or would I be able to choose any e.g a pair of floor standers?

A DAC does not determine the type of speakers you should choose, that is down to budget, your personal preference and the room. Also you need to decide on amp or amp with integrated DAC. The best place to start is to decide what your budget is.

I suggest looking at an Apple Airport Express hooked to AudioEngine A2 active speakers. Then keep the headphone socket the iMac for headphones. TBH, unless you are listening to lossless CD rips, an external DAC may not be needed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom