1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best NTSC progressive player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Captain chaos, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since most of my collection of films are region 1 NTSC, I have little use for PAL scan, however what is the best DVD player for NTSC progressive?
    I was looking at the Arcam 88+ which I know is well known for its PAL scan abilities, but haven't heard much about its NTSC playback, - is it any good?

Cheers.

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would definitely also check out the Sony 999ES DVD/SACD player at £740 - there is an online review somewhere (but I can't find it again) from a US magazine and it said the picture quality is stunning (and that would have been on NTSC of course).

I'd definitely audition it along with the Arcam if I were you.

Here's a link to it at techtronics: http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-sony-dvp-ns999esn-multi-region-dvd-player.html

Matt.

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got the Harmon Kardon DVD 2550, which is the limited edition silver version of the 25. The image quality is the best I've seen, has a great remote and PAL/NTSC Progressive.

It cost me £350.

4. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That may be true, but the Harmon Kardon DVD 2550 looks like it was designed by a loon.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a pic?

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the 2550 is gorgeous.
    The 25 is a good looker too, quite classy actually.

I had to use the image from a US model 101 for the 2550, as I can't find any images of it. But they're cosmetically identical.

7. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (shudder)

8. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know what you're on about mate, at all. It's a cracking player with gorgeous looks. There are plenty of faceless silver units for you to choose from if that's what you're looking for.:rolleyes:

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're looking for a progressive scan player for NTSC only, then I would recommend looking through the Home Theater Hi Fi review site; easily the best online source of player reviews. www.hometheaterhifi.com.

I would take a good look at their review of the Sony 999ES (review). It may give you pause for thought.

The Harman Kardon DVD25 is fine if you're only going to watch NTSC discs, but for PAL progressive the Mediamatics Pantera 2 flag-reading deinterlacer is not a good option. Virtually all PAL discs are flagged as video, whether sourced from film or not, and with the Mediamatics (which has no motion adaptive capabilities) this will always engage 'bob' single-field interpolation de-interlacing (AKA 'video' mode), causing vertical upsampling from individual fields. This can dramatically reduce the resolution of the image as it will be based on individual 288 line fields rather than interleaved 576 line frames.

Adam