What is the best large (50" ish) 1080p Flatscreen?

• Thread starter original_tigger
  • Start date
O

original_tigger

We mainly watch television and DVDs. We have good Freeview reception and we won’t get Sky on principal. We love movies and would look to start getting some on HD. The screen will be wall mounted 3.4m from the viewing point. We are also going to upgrade our surround sound amp and speakers to go with our Sony RDR HXD970

I want to buy the best full HD flat screen I can, but am reading that all the screens seem to have drawbacks. I was thinking of the Pioneer LX508XD but all the issues around noisy hums, IR and burn are concerning and I wonder if I shouldn't be looking at LCDs, something like Sony’s KDL46X3500, instead? So far I have been relying on What Hifi S&V but that doesn't seem to be too well thought of by some posters here... so HELP!

What is the best large screen 1080p TV?

chaparral

Pioneer LX508D (Costs about £3300 to £3500)

GlynH

We mainly watch television and DVDs. We have good Freeview reception and we won't get Sky on principal. We love movies and would look to start getting some on HD. The screen will be wall mounted 3.4m from the viewing point. We are also going to upgrade our surround sound amp and speakers to go with our Sony RDR HXD970

I want to buy the best full HD flat screen I can, but am reading that all the screens seem to have drawbacks. I was thinking of the Pioneer LX508XD but all the issues around noisy hums, IR and burn are concerning and I wonder if I shouldn't be looking at LCDs, something like Sony's KDL46X3500, instead? So far I have been relying on What Hifi S&V but that doesn't seem to be too well thought of by some posters here... so HELP!

What is the best large screen 1080p TV?

Well first of all you need to ask yourself if you really need 1080p :rolleyes:

I know it feels good to get the latest & greatest but if picture quality is what you really want it doesn't always follow that 1080p is better than 1080i - especially as most (if not all) of your viewing is SD currently and will be for some time to come.

No matter what TV or Display you choose you will have to accept a compromise - there is no such thing as the perfect set.

What is important is that the compromise you settle for is something you can live with.

For example would you be happy living with a set that has a 1080p sticker on it knowing full well there are 1080i sets out there with a better picture? :(

I recently went through the same dilemna as you when it came to trading up from my 42" Series 5 Panasonic display.

I really needed 50" to keep that Wow! factor - having lived with 42" for 5 years and without wishing to sound blase it just didn't seem that big any more! :rolleyes:

Like you I really wanted 1080p (as I already have the XBOX360 HD-DVD & PS3) and also wanted to make sure 24fps was displayed correctly. Not really sure what that is all about but it sounded good so I wanted it...:suicide:

In addition I have Sky HD (only 12 HD channels) and an upscaling DVD player with 600+ DVD (and will continue to buy more) and so will be watching SD for a long time to come. :smashin:

Specification aside however - ultimately my only goal was the best picture quality I could get.

I spoke to some people whose opinions I value (they also stock Pioneer & Panasonic) and then went to see for myself...

I ended up choosing the Fujitsu PX50XHA58EB which for ME was the best display out there.

YMMV

Just wanted to put an alternative POV from the Pioneer fanboys :devil:

And if you wait for the 'Next Generation' you will be waiting forever as there will always be something just around the corner!

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

O

original_tigger

Thanks GlynH - that was a really interesting post and a definite reality check on all the spec led stuff i've been digesting...much food for thought. Picture quality is the most important thing - think i better check out the Fujitsu PX50XHA58EB too then... what's the going price?

stranger

My lx5080 1080p displays sd better than my 507xd 768 and the 507 is great in its own right.

MAW

Banned
Just for the sake of balance, no malice to Pioneer owners, but your lovely Kurois can be given a serious run for their money by a Panasonic TH50PF10 and a processor, and there ain't a lot of difference in the cost these days. Of course you don't get a shiny black bezel though.

Pavel

Just for the sake of balance, no malice to Pioneer owners, but your lovely Kurois can be given a serious run for their money by a Panasonic TH50PF10 and a processor, and there ain't a lot of difference in the cost these days. Of course you don't get a shiny black bezel though.

Would such a processor include the Lumagen HDP? I already have one and have been considering the PF10.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom