1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best DVD player for Sagem Axium 50"?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by johnsagem, Jan 21, 2005.

1. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello folks,

I've read with interest the many postings on the Sagem Axium, in fact these forums helped shape my decision to buy one.

I also got a D-VHS player, and the D-Theater titles look fantastic on it! My X-Box also looks great.

However, my old Pioneer 525 DVD player was quite dissapointing. Colours looked washed out, lots of grain etc on all but CGIs and a few well mastered disks.

I upgrade to an end-of-line Arcam DV88 which on my 28" looks fantastic, but on the Sagem although it looks better than the old pioneer, it is still quite dissapointing. It's connected using a 50 quid component lead.

What I'm now wondering is,how much of an improvement would I notice if I went for the DV88Plus with progressive scan? There seems to be a lot of debate about how much difference progressive scan makes?

My D-VHS is connected to the progressive port, so 720p is only a couple of hundred lines more than DVD if I'm correct? Atmittedly I don't quite understand the whole 1080i 720p thing (i.e. does it scale down to 720 because it isn't quick enough to do all 1080 lines progressively?).

And if I went for one of the newer models, assuming the HDCP issue can be resolved, would one with an HDMI connection make a huge difference?

I realise that current generation DVD is never going to look as good as D-VHS especially on a 50" screen, so I don't want to spend more money unless it's going to make a huge difference.

My R3 copy of Hero for example I've heard from other people looks great on a big screen, but on mine it looks like a 3rd generation VHS! If I use PAP and put it into 4:3 then it looks great on half the screen. Shame there isn't a menu option to view films in a 28" or 32" window in the middle of the screen!

John

2. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You will notice a hell of a difference mate have you got your xbox hooked up via component ?
    If so then the dvd picture will be the same as when you play a DVD in 720p or 1080i etc.
    I have my xbox setup via componnet and use xbox media center to play dvds which supports 720p the pic is excellent almost as good as DVI from a PC.
    720p is a res of 1280@720 lines and progressive.
    I find progressive 720p to be the best but some say 1080i each to thier own I suppose.
    The best type of connection IMO is as follows
    DVI
    Component
    SCART
    SVIDEO
    COMPOSITE
    RF