what is the best DVD player for around £150

pete18

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi what is the best dvd player for around £150-£200

I have got a toshiba 210, but I am taking it back to richer sounds not happy with the picture, there is a grey/blurry line going down the side of my TV when i watch some dvd's

from pete

The 220 is meant to be v good and you might even get some change from your price range. I nearly got it myself but ended up buying the Tosh 510 which you can't seem to get anymore.

If I was you, it would be the 220 without a doubt.

If the DVD’s you are having problems with are region 1. It could be you TV can't handle NTSC or Pal 60 properly. Toshiba's are pretty hard to beat picture wise. What sort of TV have you got.

I'm very happy with the Pioneer 454 as I said in another "150 quid DVD player" thread. My wife works for Tosh though so buy the 220 to keep me in beer :)

hi kevb

I have a Toshiba 28 inch widescreen it has 2 different modes for ntsc and one pal it also has an auto feature this is the mode I use and I also set my dvd player to auto.

I phoned Richer Sounds and I said that I was not happy with the 210, for the picture. and I asked him that I wanted to replace it with the 220 toshiba dvd player. He said that if I didn't like the picture in the 210, I wouldn't like the picture on the 220. He said the 210 was a better player than the 220, I think he just wants to get rid of the 210, due to it being upgrade by the 220.But I have read review that say the 220 has been improve picture and sound wish, by removing some features from the machine please can anyone tell me what features tha 220 is missing to the 210, to improve the picture.

from pete

I have just purchased the 220 for £134.95 from Richer Sounds in Birmingham, which I thought was a bit of a bargain as it is multi region as well.

The main reason I bought it was to replace my Wharfedale 750 and to take advantage of the component video output on the DVD and component inputs on my Tosh TV, which after a week or so's viewing is significantly better than s-video or scart.

AJ

The Tosh 210E is a cracking player at the price. Perhaps you have a faulty one ?

Pete

That's b******s! They tried the same with me in Birmingham, claiming the silver one was £144, until I produced the print out of the web prices and the bloke had to back down and match the price, mumbling that they were always changing the web prices without notifying the store!

What a shame!

:D

best joke of all the assistant said that I could get a leed or something with the left over change.

ajwk
what do you think of the 220.

from pete18

For the money it is excellent value, as I mentioned before I bought it mainly to take advantage of the component inputs on my TV, and for that reason I am glad I bought it as the picture quality is superb on that output/input. I have tried it on an s-video to scart s-video connection and on one DVD, 'Carlito's Way', I noticed that bright neon lights had some slight 'haloing', but it didn't generate this on the component connection, which I will be using from now on anyway.

Hope this helps

AJ

does have only ever used scart or s-video what is component, this may seem that I am stupid asking this question.

Is component - RGB - what leads do I need for that

Also I was wondering is there a website that shows you how to setup your speakers in different size/shape rooms

from pete18

component isn't RGB, although RGB is a "component" signal, the term is more often used as a friendly name for YPrPb - it uses 3 RCAs to carry the video signal - you also need to connect audio up of course, but typically that would be digital anyway.

Have a look at the Tosh DVD player on techtronics site, they have a picture of the component connectors. As far as CRTs go, only Tosh & Loewe TVs tend to have them in the UK at the moment.

Originally posted by ajwk
Pete

That's b******s! They tried the same with me in Birmingham, claiming the silver one was £144, until I produced the print out of the web prices and the bloke had to back down and match the price, mumbling that they were always changing the web prices without notifying the store!

What a shame!

:D

It is £144.99 instore, unless you ask for web prices you won't get them.

Anyway, what version Firmware do you have, I'm seriously considering popping in to brum next week to pick one up and just wanna check they have some 1.5's. I'll obviously ring RS before going in but wanna check before hand.

Thanks!

MonkeyDonkey

I must be the 1.5 because I have had to get my ordered and it will be new stock, just have to wait and see.

So I can get it for the web price instore as well, he said that I couldn't

He also tried to sell me a aiwa what the fudge do I want an aiwa for. They are trying go get people to buy the aiwa or the whalfdale a lot of people have found this -BEWARE-
He said that the aiwa was better than the toshiba 220.

He also said that he has had more returns with the Toshiba 220, than any other dvd player and he said that hardle any aiwa's have come back.

From pete18

I can well believe it. They've obviously stocked up on the Aiwa but because it costs more than the 220 and the 220 is better its not selling.
If I go I'm going for the 220 and thats what I'll come away with. Although I have to say I've never had any of these "suggestions" from the B'ham store.

I can also believe they've had many 220 returns, with the earlier firmware having that problem it doesn't suprise me in the least. And the reason hardly and Aiwas have come back is cos no one is buying them in the first place :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom