What is the best driving game?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I have only had my 360 for a month or so now and am now looking for a good driving game. I had need for speed underground on the original xbox and lieked that but I found I would only play it for 15 minutes or so at a time. My favourite driving game of all time has been F1 on the original playstation.
What driving game would you recomend I buy.

english_bob

PGR3 is very pretty and has an great in-car view. Online is a bit of a shambles though. The only semi-serious racer out there at the moment

Ridge Racer 6 is an arcade racer, pure and simple. 60fps like a rock and NO graphical glitches (how many games on the 360 can boast that!) Massive 1 player game.

Burnout Revenge - Arcade racer with a twist. Only give this a go if you never played it on any other format. The 360 version isn't that much different from the Xbox/P2 versions.

Personally speaking I like both PGR3 and RR6, both for different moods, but if I chose just one, PGR3

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
PGR3 is the best for me no question. Excellent both off and online.... Also looks awesome!

If you like bikes, don't forget Moto GP. Once you get used to the controls it is also excellent, off and online. PLus it's available from Play Asia new for about £23. Bargain.

Forget about Test Drive. The demo highlighted that they'd worked so hard in development on the environment, they left no time to work on the handling of the cars!!!! It was woeful to say the least, but that's been covered in other threads.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
I suggest PGR3 too, most people will to be honest.

Really looking forward to TDU though :smashin:

english_bob

By the way, forget MotoGp on the 360, its heavily flawed in the framerate area. Hopefully the next release of a MotoGP game will have sorted out the issues.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I like PGR3, although NFS:MW is by far my favourite racer on the 360.

Shame there aren't any rally games around yet, turning out to be a long wait.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
A very good point Tetlee. Rallisport Challenge 2 saw a lot of action on my xbox. Not really into the Colin McRae games but Rallisport Challenge 3 would be good.

kevlar

english_bob said:
By the way, forget MotoGp on the 360, its heavily flawed in the framerate area. Hopefully the next release of a MotoGP game will have sorted out the issues.
Doesn't spoil the game at all, I've spent more hours on moto gp than any other 360 game. Still playing it constantly now and had it since release. Best game on 360 to date, even with all the flaws/bugs.

TankTopLover

dgibbs said:
PGR3 is the best for me no question. Excellent both off and online.... Also looks awesome!

If you like bikes, don't forget Moto GP. Once you get used to the controls it is also excellent, off and online. PLus it's available from Play Asia new for about £23. Bargain.

Forget about Test Drive. The demo highlighted that they'd worked so hard in development on the environment, they left no time to work on the handling of the cars!!!! It was woeful to say the least, but that's been covered in other threads.
Oh dear.Did you miss the memo :rotfl:

A second test drive demo will be released (estimated 20th August..Sunday!?) that has the updated build.No pop-in whatsoever,less motion blur.Completely re-done the handling for cars and bikes.Better framerate,no tearing etc.

Oh heres a link to the second demo announcement:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=719087

Also recent videos showing improved pop-in etc:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=1645

DO NOT write this game off,after the demo Atari actually listened to gamers and went to work on the handling.Also,ALOT more money was thrown at the games development after Microsoft saw the huge potential the game had online and off.

rev happy

Novice Member
If it's 4 wheels your after it has to be PGR3 at the moment. I think Forza 2 will take it's crown though if your willing to wait.

I agree with Kevlar when it comes to Moto GP 06. Despite the flaws and tricky learning curve, for me it's the best racer on the 360.

Pebb

PGR3 is the best on the Xbox 360, but the three games you should look out for are:

GTR
Forza 2
TDU

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone, looks like I will be visiting game at the weekend to buy PGR3. Still I am hoping for a rally or F1 game to be released sometime soon.

C

CAFCmatt

I prefer Burnout 3 to be honest. PGR3 is good don't get me worng but Burnout is my fave

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
english_bob said:
As Kevlar said, the issues mentioned here don't ruin the game at all. It is still fantastic to play.

I think anyone who constantly moans or writes off a game due to the occasional frame rate issue has forgotten what gaming is all about! Most games have something that could be criticised, but it doesn't mean they're not worth playing.:suicide:

quarryfied

Banned
Bought PGR3 and found it incredibly bland, sold it. Burnout revenge is fast and exciting and alot more varied, just try the demos of the two games to see what you're gonna get.

tigernuts

Well I'm, to my surprise, enjoying a copy of Need for Speed Most Wanted (picked up second hand). It is arcade driving but it certainly is very entertaining. Although there appear to be some framerate issues to my aging eyes.

Waiting somewhat impatiently for Forza 2 for my "proper" driving fix.

Having said that just bought Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for £6 from Asda having never played before (it is an original Xbox game not a 360) and loving it loooooooooong time.

Anotherlimey

tigernuts said:
Well I'm, to my surprise, enjoying a copy of Need for Speed Most Wanted (picked up second hand). It is arcade driving but it certainly is very entertaining. Although there appear to be some framerate issues to my aging eyes.

Waiting somewhat impatiently for Forza 2 for my "proper" driving fix.

Having said that just bought Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for £6 from Asda having never played before (it is an original Xbox game not a 360) and loving it loooooooooong time.
Yup i picked it up in ASDA too, Forgot i had it lol, Gonna pop it in and give it a spin today, Bargain at 6 quid :smashin:

Droogie 2001

slinkywonka said:
Oh dear.Did you miss the memo :rotfl:

A second test drive demo will be released (estimated 20th August..Sunday!?) that has the updated build.No pop-in whatsoever,less motion blur.Completely re-done the handling for cars and bikes.Better framerate,no tearing etc.

Oh heres a link to the second demo announcement:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=719087

Also recent videos showing improved pop-in etc:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=1645

DO NOT write this game off,after the demo Atari actually listened to gamers and went to work on the handling.Also,ALOT more money was thrown at the games development after Microsoft saw the huge potential the game had online and off.
I don't want to be a damp squib but I will be amazed if they have managed to revamp the entire handling, framerate and tearing issue since May. Surely this must be a core part of the game engine and not something that can be easily changed in less than 4 months? But hey who I am to criticise.
I genuinely hope that I am wrong as its a great idea. I guess we will know in a weeks time...

Kopite4Ever

Novice Member
Burnout Revenge for me at the moment.

PGR3 is ok but i feel its more a PGR2.5 and the next iteration will truely show what the francise has to offer for next gen.

Will be eager to see how TDU pans out but i think Forza 2 will be the racing game to own on the 360. Also GTR is probably worth a look if your a pure sim-a-holic

AgentCool

Novice Member
PGR3 is my overall favourite 360 game. It was the first game I bought and I still play it occassionally 8 months later. I was a big fan of MSR on the Dreamcast as well as Gotham 1 and 2 on the Xbox but Gotham 3 is the only one in the series where I've played the entire single player game through to the end (albeit at Bronze/Silver level).

Jay

Banned
markwpage said:
PGR3 is my overall favourite 360 game. It was the first game I bought and I still play it occassionally 8 months later. I was a big fan of MSR on the Dreamcast as well as Gotham 1 and 2 on the Xbox but Gotham 3 is the only one in the series where I've played the entire single player game through to the end (albeit at Bronze/Silver level).
Pgr3 is ok, but found theres not much longevity to it (for me anyway), whereas need for speed most wanted is more entertaining, but there is nothing on the 360 to rival pgr3 for realism. I must say that i didn't enjoy the test drive demo, and as much as i tried enjoying it something just doesn't feel right, can't put my finger on it though.

richard plumb

Sandman said:
Thanks everyone, looks like I will be visiting game at the weekend to buy PGR3. Still I am hoping for a rally or F1 game to be released sometime soon.

don't hold your breath for an F1 game, as Sony have the exclusive console rights.

As for rally games, well the Rallisport team (DICE) are now owned by EA, so you probably won't get a Rallisport 3. However some of the team are working on Sega Rally Evolution, which I think is multiplatform, and out next year.

Pebb

Go for PGR3, but once TDU and Forza 2 comes out you should look to buy both.

BYF

they all suck on the 360 IMO, but im a hardcore racing sim fan and there all just arcade games to me with great graphics. the actual physics are very poor on these games and they offer no challenge and have no proper car damage that ends your race.

the best racing game at the moment is GTR2 in PC.

im hoping GTR on the x360 will remain a hardcore sim and not some half assed console arcade racer.

im also hoping that a decent proper force feedback wheel will be availble not just some crap sprung wheel with rumble effects.

W

wattsy1977

Sandman said:

You buy your games from GAME?!!!! £40 for a pre-owned when you can get it for £30 new on play.com as an example. Shop around I only use Game for when have to have it there and then....and ADSA or TESCO dont have it.

i-bert

Novice Member
BYF said:
they all suck on the 360 IMO, but im a hardcore racing sim fan and there all just arcade games to me with great graphics. the actual physics are very poor on these games and they offer no challenge and have no proper car damage that ends your race.

the best racing game at the moment is GTR2 in PC.

im hoping GTR on the x360 will remain a hardcore sim and not some half assed console arcade racer.

im also hoping that a decent proper force feedback wheel will be availble not just some crap sprung wheel with rumble effects.
Someone as hardcore as yourself should enter the PGR3 tournys they hold here.With your hardcore skills you would beat them eeeeeeeeeeasy.