What is the best download service

mcav

Hi there

I am looking for a new music download service - a legal one might I add.

I have a creative zen vision:m 30GB

I have been using MSN UK but I am having a load of licensing issues with it and have basically stopped buying there because of how rubbish they are.

Also they have got loads of great records missing from their library.

Can anyone recommend a good download service which offers good prices, good downloads and is not itunes?

Thanks

mcav

Yeah... like I put - a legal download service - which obviously means having to pay for my downloads

Any ideas anyone?

How about HMV or VIRGIN?

Cheers in advance

A

Abootnoo

How about [illegal source of downloads removed by Moderator]

fizl

How about Napster to Go?

You have to have a compatible player, but its unlimited downloads for about £15 I think

Shaz

B

Biskitboy

Don't know too much about these services and correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't Napster basically just a rental deal?

i.e. a your expensive downloads are only as good as the life of your player........!

Having been driven to the verge of insanity by Sony's proprietry system I've vowed to stick with to plain old MP3 and drag-n-Drop from now on.

limegreenzx

Banned
I think most of the problems you are having with MSN UK and licensing issues you will find with most other legal online retailers. A large number use OD2 Sonicselector for distribution and the licensing issues are with DRM being very restrictive. The best solution is not to buy anything with DRM.

I don't understand why the record labels make it harder for a consumer to listen to the music they have purchased than to listen to music downloaded using Limewire.

WelshBluebird

Napster lite.
Its the pay per song version of napster, and while with msn uk you can only burn to a cd x number of times, all the music I've got from napster lite can be burned any number of times.
But the issue with loosing the lisence if you have to reformat your PC or whatever is the same for all legal music download services

mcav

I think I may be inclined to just go to www.find-cd.co.uk for all my albums and cut out any problems with DRM...

Still leaves me with the problem of single track downloads....

I'm sure I'll find a decent provider somewhere.

About napster lite - anyone got any experience of them? i.e. quality and speed of downloads.... library extensiveness etc...

Oh and to the few who seem to be recommending limewire and P2P...

Uhm... what part of legal did you not follow?

:rotfl:

dannius

I've used Napster Lite and can confirm it's pretty good, nice and fast and the library is very good. It also syncs well with Creative players.

I believe they are still doing a free trial period allowing unlimited listening and downloads for a certain period of time, so it might be worth a look.

Oh and when you burn the tracks to CD in media player etc it removes the DRM.

girliedrinker

Standard Member
As an alternative to iTunes I often use www.7digital.com They usually offer each download as WMA, AAC or MP3 - all encoded at 48kHz 192kbps. They have some exclusive tracks plus most new releases. You are also given the ability to download the tracks more than once, should your MP3 player or PC explode in the future.

mcav

Thanks - I think I'll take a look at the last 2 recommendations.

I think what I am going to do is once every 20 or so downloads, burn the lot to cd and then re-rip.

Thanks again :clap:

B

Biskitboy

WelshBluebird said:
....But the issue with loosing the lisence if you have to reformat your PC or whatever is the same for all legal music download services
Which is precisely why none of these pay per track D/L sites will ever get a brass farthing out of me...:thumbsdow !

WelshBluebird

Biskitboy said:
Which is precisely why none of these pay per track D/L sites will ever get a brass farthing out of me...:thumbsdow !

it doesn't really bother me, as if I buy music from the download stores, I nearly always either burn them to a cd (using a cd-rw) then rip them back, or use tunebite. Either way gives me a unprotected file in whatever format I want.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom