Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

what is the best connection type?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by strackal, Nov 26, 2002.

1. strackal

strackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this has already been asked..

What is the best connection type for connecting up a plasma screen

Scart / svideo / composite ?

I have the LG model screen, as mentioned in my previous post.

I have my dvd player through svideo and the pciture is fine, but with satellite receiver, picture is still little blocky/poor!

i would like to know which connection gives the best quality before spending £60-£100 on a cable.

cheers guys.

btw has anyone got the lg plasma?

2. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on your source and assuming your plasma has the correct available inputs I have listed the connections in decending order:

From DVD

Component Video (Because that is what DVDs are encoded in) - Usually three RCA plugs
    RGB Video - Usually 4 or 5 BNC
    S-Video - Mini Din
    Composite - Single RCA
    Wet String (maybe the last two should be the other way around)

From Digital Sat/Cable (i.e. Sky)

RGB Video
    Component Video (if you have the JS convertor)
    S-Video
    Composite
    Web String

If you look in the manual for the LG, what inputs (and connectors) does it have?

It may also just be the Sat channel you are watching is badly encoded thus giving lots of artifacts.

Graham

3. strackal

strackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for your reply mate.

The connections on the lg tuner box are as follows,

S-video ( currently connected to samsung dvd )
    2x Scart connectors ( connected to NTL digi box )
    component 480i/480P

My problem is with the ntl connection, this is connected via scart at moment ( cheap cable tho ! )

fast moving images are very blocky. I want to upgrade the connection between these two, but the ntl box only has scart connection on the back.

what would give me best pisture quality? can you buy a scart to component cable??

cheers!

4. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I also have an NTL box and it is blocky on some channels, however one way to improve this is to ensure that you set the output of the digibox to RGB, and ensure that you use the scart input on your plasma that allows RGB (you will have to select this from you on screen menu - check the plasma manual).

Providing that your scart is fully wired (if it isn't you will be greeted with a black screen) and these changes have been made you should have significantly improved quality. However don't be surprised if you still see blocking, the terrestrial channels will be the best quality, if you are happy with these then the other channels are due to NTL's encoding. If not then purchasing a higher quality scart may be required.

I doubt that using JS RGB to VGA converter (£125) will give you any better quality.

5. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would guess that unless you have selected the output from the NTL box to be RGB you will be getting a Composite Video signal which is usually low quality.

Can your NTL box output RGB and can your LG receive it?

It may just be that NTL are using very high compression and you are only noticing it now with a bigger screen.

Graham

6. strackal

strackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys!

I have enabled the RGB output on the NTL box, the picture is obviously better, but still get some probs with certian channels, putting it down to NTL!

can anyone tell me what connections the sky digi box has ?

does that have svideo ?

cheers again

7. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Pace Sky+ box which is the same as a normal Sky Digital box with the addition of Optical out for sound.

All Sky Digital boxes are built to a single reference model so whichever make you get they should all be the same with:

2 x Scart (one with RGB)
    1 x S-Video

Graham

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    RGB will still give the best quality, it carries more data than s-video, and in my experience less prone to interference. I've seen the JS VGA converter in action, and thought it very good, but couldn't compare it to RGB scart at the time.

9. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

RGB scart runs over four wires:

Red
    Green
    Blue
    Composite Sync

This offers better seperation than S-Video which is running over two wires (plus two grounds) but not quite as good as true five wire RGB with the H and V Sync signals seperated, which is what the JS Plasma VGA box gives you.

Graham

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Just so, but the JS box cannot put in information that wasn't there in the 1st place, so in practice, any difference will be down to the quality of the scart processing at the plasma end of things. If it's good, then there won't be much difference. If not then bypassing it by going straight to VGA with a good processor will work wonders.