1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best compact 5.1 speaker system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ErikX, Oct 7, 2004.

1. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I wonder what is the best compact 5.1 speaker system currently on the market? I have been thinking of the Canton Movie CD-1 set, but I am not convinced after reading this review: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4286

The set that I'm looking for need to be suitable for movies, stereo music and multichannel music (SACD/DVD-A). I am not a sound freak, so the sound quality does not need to be uber, but it should be good. It is especially important that the system delivers a good "surround feeling". The system needs to be as compact as possible, as I don't want it to "spoil" my livingroom.

The set will be powered by a Onkye TX-DS484 reciever, and a Pioner DV575A DVD-player.

So folks. What system should I go for? I really need som advice in this matter.

:lease:

Regards,
    Erik

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    What sort of budget are you looking at? There is a good performer at every £100 increment from £400 upwards. The Canton is a good 'un but most manufacturers have got something in their range.

3. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much for your reply! :clap:

Well, I guess I'm looking for something in the 400-600£ range. When you say that the Canton is good, does this go for both movies and music?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    Its been a little while since I listened to the Canton's but I do recall them being pretty good on all counts. Veteran member Hornydragon is our resident Canton expert so probably heard them more recently than I. Other packages at this point that impressed were the Infinity Oreus (that sometimes creeps in below £600) and the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus (please be aware that I work for MS so have a bias here). Alternatively Mission have a package (m31?) at this price that scores on the musicality by using "proper" full range speakers but has a slightly pokey sub. If you can match these speakers with a sub like a Mordaunt Short MS309 or a BK XLS200, you would have a really capable little package in the budget.
    Ed

5. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hornydragon, do you have any advice for me?