1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best (cheapest) place to buy ARCAM P7, AV8 and DV27

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by URI, Oct 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. URI

URI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as in the subject line, I am from Poland and wanted to order the stuff and visit UK to collect it, is it better to buy in a dot.com or brick&mortar?? Which dealer has the best prices??

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i dont know you will be able to buy in a dot com..... i cant claim ever to have seen these machines online. The best you can really do is find a good dealer and haggle a bit. Alternatively you could look up John Dawson from arcam (he is a member on here) and see what he could suggest for your situation.

all the best

ad

3. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uri, on-line availability of Arcam gear is generally non-existent (you will now see 20 posts proving me wrong....). Anyway, with the kit you are buying I would want to see into their eyes before I parted with the cash!

Generally you will be able to get a 10% discount without a problem. Given the amount you plan to spend I would be looking for at least 15% - depends how persuasive you are! ;)

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    You should target 15% or so. Also dont forget that as your exporting the goods, you dont pay VAT. Your retailer should give you a completed VAT refund form and you should be able to collect the refund as cash from the airport on your way back.

5. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I can just image turning up and trying to get your P7 on as hand luggage :) (I certainly wouldn't want it to go in a suitcase, given the 'care' with which they are treated!)

If you want to get the VAT back, you'll need to come before you join the eu at the end of the year!

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    You just check in the box as luggage. Do you really think that any most courier firms treat parcels any better than airport baggage handlers ? I doubt it. If you exporting to Poland you have little choice in the matter. Just make sure the packaging is good and mark it up everywhere as fragile (slight chance that it may help!). If you dont need the boxes take the AV8 and DVD player as hand luggage.

7. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are probably already aware that the P7 package is HEAVY, so you may need to make allowance for that when travelling.

It is also interesting to note that the RRP of the full package is £7.1k. I wonder where that figure came from...

8. URI

URI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get 15% off and VAT I would save GBP2000. The downsides are:
    1 I have to bother with taking the stuff back
    2.There is a risk of damaging any of the units (low though)
    3. There is a risk of being stopped at the Polish border and having to pay duty and VAT (the saving would be gone, this is very small risk as for the last few years I was never stopped at the border)
    4. The biggest problem is that the warranty would be not valid in Poland

DO you guys think it is worth it?? What do you mean when you say that packaging is have ( I would like to fold it and check in bags). How often the units go wrong??

9. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uri,
    Why would your warranty not be valid in Poland?

Arcam warranties are transferable worldwide, that is one of the reasons I bought mine, as shortly I'm moving to Australia.

Regards
    John

10. URI

URI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Polish distributor refuses to service anything bought outside of Poland!!!!!! I know Arcam says that the warranty should be valid but the Polish distributor says NO :( :mad: :(

11. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The weight of the P7 in its box is 35kg.

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uri,
    Give Arcam a call re the Polish distributers refusal to service anything from outside Poland, I'm sure that they would be interested.
    Good luck
    John

13. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    True but i am not sure how he would arrange insurance? I was thinking of bringing back some kit from the uk in the same manner at one stage but after finding out that the Airline wouldnt be liable for the full value of the goods if missing or for any damage etc i decided against it. Could you get your travel insurance to cover that?