1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the best cd player software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by perrin21, Oct 31, 2003.

1. perrin21

perrin21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    hi again, just curious what is the best cd software for sound quality when using an rme digi96/8pst. I have been using windows media player, i understand winamp is good but is there any real difference when the rme bypasses kmixer anyway. There is nothing wrong with media player i just wondered if there were any gains to be had.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've never found any noticeable difference between any audio player when handling CDs, MP3s etc., certainly comparing Winamp to Media Player .. these days I use MusicMatch but that choice was based on features not sound quality.

Unlike video where you can see difference between DVD players, audio of course is a lot less susceptible to detecting minute differences, there may well be slight variations between them but far more important is the quality of the audio path through the soundcard or external amp on to the speakers, which I would expect to mask any nuance in player quality.

3. tripez

tripez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to me there can be a differences. It would be nice to see a good quality player base on sound quality. But I think the rule is to try each one out on your setup. Even different versions of same app can effect the sound.(itune4.0 to itune4.0.1)

Give apple itunes and foobar 2000 a try. Or even a pro audio software like soundforge or wavelab.

foobar sounds more defined to me

4. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend that you audition the (30 day) trial version of jrivers' Media Jukebox or Media Center -

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/

I have now uninstalled WMP9 and swear by Media Center for the front end of my HTPC music jukebox. To get even better results try the Monkey Audio APE plugin and compare the original CD with MP3 and APE rips. If you have the relevant sound cards, Media Center will allow you to bypass the dreaded Windoze "kmangler" which is supposed give even better quality playback. Media Center is packed full of features and IMHO is well worth the $40 price tag.

Regards

Epithet