what is the best audio settings for my setup?

bsimmer3000

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok people keep here all this talk about uncompressed and dts and dd and pcm and bitstreem and im getting a little confussed

what would be the best settings for my setup

denon avr-1906
on optical audio

i have no idea what setting i should have me amp on and what settings my ps3 should be o for best results.

thanks for any advice

also if possible could someone quicly write in order of what would be best audio i.e

pcm
dd
dts

and so on if ya get what i mean?

Yep, bandwidth over optical is limited, to pretty much what we get now, DD, DTS etc, for the new 'hi-def' audio modes, you need to have an amp that decodes via HDMI.

so example if i have gone in 60 secs on whats best linear pcm or DD???

DD because PCM over optical will only give 2 channel audio.

Ok this is where im confussed as it sound like im getting 5.1 from pcm through my amp with optical. my amp is dispalying PLII c and im listening to the difference of them both and PLII c sounds better than DD but people keep saying that it will only be in stereo so whats happening for me to get sound from all speakers? sorry if im being thick

Your amp is taking the PCM 2 channel audio and processing it through DPLII to give you 5.1, this is not the same as playing the uncompressed PCM 5.1 track but it will probaley sound just as good as the DD5.1 track.

DPL II processes any high quality stereo signal source into "5.1"—five separate full frequency channels (left, center, right, left surround and right surround) plus one low-frequency-effects (deep bass) channel. Dolby Pro Logic II also decodes 5.1 channels from stereo signals encoded in traditional four-channel Dolby Surround. DPL II implements greatly enhanced steering compared to DPL, and as a result, offers an exceptionally stable sound field that simulates 5.1 channel surround sound to a much more accurate degree than the original Pro Logic.

Interesting that you find the PCM stereo track, matrixed out by PLII better than the DD track. I've never been impressed by PLII before, finding DTS neo makes a better job, but even that falls well behind a decent DD track. I'll have to give it a listen, see how it sounds on my setup.

Interesting that you find the PCM stereo track, matrixed out by PLII better than the DD track. I've never been impressed by PLII before, finding DTS neo makes a better job, but even that falls well behind a decent DD track. I'll have to give it a listen, see how it sounds on my setup.

My mate said it can sound better o some films but it just seems to give me more in the film than DD i will have to try my other BD dvd's and see how these sound with my amp and speakers.

Thanks for the help people

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom