What is the best atmos speaker set for between £2k & £3k?

a11exf

Standard Member
What is the best speaker set up for dalby atmos 5.1.2? I have a Yamaha RX A2060 Av receiver and a LG C8 55” TV. I am looking to spend between £2,000 and £3,000 on a set of speakers. I like the look of the Kilpsch Klipsch R-625FA 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Home Theatre System | Premium Sound UK
Has anyone got experience with these? Is there any part of the system should be upgraded or is there something better out there that someone could recommend?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

I got these a few months back and they are exceptional for the money, they were cheaper back then but they do do discounts of 10-20% from time to time. The Tower and surrounds are out of stock right now but expected back in stock in the next few weeks if you are not in a hurry to get them right away. They have built in Atmos so you can do a 5.1.4 with these or just use them as 5.1.2.

The 5.speakers inc atmos will cost around £1800 or less possibly if there is a discount.

Add a sub of your choice from BK subwoofers or SVS for £500-700 or Monolith THX 15 for £1100 and you will be good to go.

Last edited:

a11exf

Standard Member

I got these a few months back and they are exceptional for the money, they were cheaper back then but they do do discounts of 10-20% from time to time. The Tower and surrounds are out of stock right now but expected back in stock in the next few weeks if you are not in a hurry to get them right away. They have built in Atmos so you can do a 5.1.4 with these or just use them as 5.1.2.

The 5.speakers inc atmos will cost around £1800 or less possibly if there is a discount.

Add a sub of your choice from BK subwoofers or SVS for £500-700 or Monolith THX 15 for £1100 and you will be good to go.
Thanks, they look great. I am not in a rush so I will definitely check them out.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Those Monoprice speakers should be miles better than the budget range from Klipsch! If considering Klipsch then one needs to look RP range = Reference Premiere. Sadly in UK they are priced so high that they have hard time competing with other brands.

@a11exf how large room you have, any openings?

a11exf

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for your reply. The monoprice speakers are now my preferred option. I am about to move to a semi detached house and the living room measures 5.7m x 3.6m. One door at one end of the room and a window at the other. As the house we are buying will be a semi I doubt I will ever get to turn the volume up.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you are going with the Monoprice speakers just keep an eye on their site so that you don't miss when they come back into stock and also whether they are having a sale on.

In the past they put stuff on sale but only for a day or two so you need to be quick if not to be disappointed.

Their subs are expected to arrive next week but don't know yet if there will be any of the 365T or 265 surrounds, they maybe on a later delivery. You can go to their site and click on a button on the item you are looking for which says:

Out Of Stock!​

We will notify you when this product becomes available.

NOTIFY ME

Also as you won't be listening at high levels and your room is not massive you won't need an ultra powerful subwoofer. Therefore a sub from either BK or SVS will be your best option as something between £400-700 will get you more than enough quality bass.

The Mono THX 15 would be overkill and the 10" or 12" would have been enough but the latest prices of the Mono subs are more than they were a few months back so the 10/12 is not competitive right now unless they are put on sale at lower prices.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

This new subwoofer from SVS which will be available in a week or so should be ideal to go with the Mono's, small but powerful and an excellent price.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
If you are going with the Monoprice speakers just keep an eye on their site so that you don't miss when they come back into stock and also whether they are having a sale on.

In the past they put stuff on sale but only for a day or two so you need to be quick if not to be disappointed.

Their subs are expected to arrive next week but don't know yet if there will be any of the 365T or 265 surrounds, they maybe on a later delivery. You can go to their site and click on a button on the item you are looking for which says:

Out Of Stock!​

NOTIFY ME

Also as you won't be listening at high levels and your room is not massive you won't need an ultra powerful subwoofer. Therefore a sub from either BK or SVS will be your best option as something between £400-700 will get you more than enough quality bass.

The Mono THX 15 would be overkill and the 10" or 12" would have been enough but the latest prices of the Mono subs are more than they were a few months back so the 10/12 is not competitive right now unless they are put on sale at lower prices.

Overkill? No such thing with woofers. 😄 Clearly it´s fully up to person what is enough. Below system is in same size room as OP`s. And yeah those are dual SVS PB16 Ultras. I would consider the Monoprice Monolith 12 THX as the size is much easier to handle for typical rooms and it would still leave option to add 2nd sub in future which may not be option with the larger 15". SVS PB1000 Pro would be great too if budget is tight. Personally i would steer away from the small sealed subs if one can handle larger ported model and/or doesn´t have very small room. The PB is going to give so much more that wow factor with movies.

20200829_011708-jpg.1356956

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I was mindful of the fact that he is moving to a semi and that he stated he doubts he will be able to ever turn the volume up.

The Mono 12" THX at it's previous price of around £500 would have been my recommendation but it's nearly a grand now if those prices are correct so there are more options available for less.

However if the price of the THX 12" comes back down it's a no brainer.

Agreed the SVS PB1000 pro at £699 is still a great option but the SB is around £500 and still should provide plenty of bass in his room especially if only using at moderate volumes.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I was mindful of the fact that he is moving to a semi and that he stated he doubts he will be able to ever turn the volume up.

The Mono 12" THX at it's previous price of around £500 would have been my recommendation but it's nearly a grand now if those prices are correct so there are more options available for less.

However if the price of the THX 12" comes back down it's a no brainer.

Agreed the SVS PB1000 pro at £699 is still a great option but the SB is around £500 and still should provide plenty of bass in his room especially if only using at moderate volumes.

Just teasing you mate. :laugh: It´s massive box the 15.

SVS PB2000 Pro costs 999£ so if Monoprice can get the 12 THX price same or less then it will be great option still. It was a steal at 500£. It was some serious brain fart from them to sell product that is as good as 1k£ sub (or slightly better) for half price. Probably someone in the company has woken up and now sets the price correct. Those that bought them got super lucky! Again the 15THX model at 1200-1300£ should cost 2250£/2300£ and still be considered as great option if you look what PB4000 and Arendal 2V costs!

I also listen moderate volume and still would pick vented sub for a 20sqm room(if no size requirements), but people have different tastes and if size is going to be issue then the SB1000 Pro is great option no doubt. PB1000 Pro offers better performance (output/extension/lower distortion) if nothing else then futures sake cause no one ever goes wrong buying bit more than he needs and good subwoofer can be kept 3-10years easily. It can also be run as sealed if one doesn´t like the "rumble" for blockbuster movies, but i dare say it would be lot more fun even at moderate volumes. And for those times neighbour is away it can put a big grin on face! 100£ more or so not bad. As always i`m just presenting options, OP can choose what ever he likes. :)

a11exf

Standard Member

Out Of Stock!​

NOTIFY ME

Thanks again for your help. I have already set it up so I can get an email when they come in. I will try to wait until they are on offer. I was thinking about going for the 15” sub but will look at the other options.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I think the subs are coming in next week and it was said that they would have 40 of each 10"/12"/15" the 15" is the sweetspot on price and performance as Gasp has said, a comparable 15" would cost double. If you decide to get one of those jump in fast as they will deffo sell out fairly quickly as I know a member on here wants 2 of them.

You won't regret going for the Mono kit as it is superb value/performance. I have had my Mono speakers since about October in my lounge system and use them all day every day hooked up to a Denon X4500 avr and BK XXLS400 sub with 65" Panny OLED and just love them to bits.

a11exf

Standard Member
I think the subs are coming in next week and it was said that they would have 40 of each 10"/12"/15" the 15" is the sweetspot on price and performance as Gasp has said, a comparable 15" would cost double. If you decide to get one of those jump in fast as they will deffo sell out fairly quickly as I know a member on here wants 2 of them.

You won't regret going for the Mono kit as it is superb value/performance. I have had my Mono speakers since about October in my lounge system and use them all day every day hooked up to a Denon X4500 avr and BK XXLS400 sub with 65" Panny OLED and just love them to
Do you have any idea how regularly they get stock and run out? I am not in a rush so I might try to buy if they are on offer at some point.

davidf

Previously davidf
Personally, I’d initially stick to 5.1 and get the very best sounding speakers you can - more speakers is just diluting your budget and reducing overall sound quality. Get the ’base”’ 5.1 working perfectly, then later you can start adding extra speakers to build up to Atmos. A higher number of speakers cannot make up for what’s lacking in the basic 5.1 set.

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The Atmos drive units included within these speakers are a bonus really and don't have to be used if you don't want to as they have separate connectors to the main drive units.. They are a bargain at the price with or without the extra drivers.

At their price they stack up very well against speakers that are far more expensive.

@a11exf Monoprice uk and eu only started trading over this side of the pond middle of last year so we don't know how much stock they carry and how often stocks are replenished.

They have been a seller of quality audio and related products for a few years now in North America and their reputation is high for supplying quality kit at bargain prices.

The uk/eu prices were a bit up and down in the last quarter as I think they were feeling out the market. So the few folks on here that bought into the brand generally got them at extra bargain prices as they were having sales and at the same time were offering an extra 10-20% discounts. Sometimes those discounts were only offered for short periods so you had to watch their site closely and pounce when the prices were lowest.

Even at their full listed prices these speakers are still a bargain and offer superb quality sound whether using for movies or music. If when stocks are available again see whether there is any sale on or any extra discount codes and be ready to buy quickly.

a11exf

Standard Member
The Atmos drive units included within these speakers are a bonus really and don't have to be used if you don't want to as they have separate connectors to the main drive units.. They are a bargain at the price with or without the extra drivers.

At their price they stack up very well against speakers that are far more expensive.

@a11exf Monoprice uk and eu only started trading over this side of the pond middle of last year so we don't know how much stock they carry and how often stocks are replenished.

They have been a seller of quality audio and related products for a few years now in North America and their reputation is high for supplying quality kit at bargain prices.

The uk/eu prices were a bit up and down in the last quarter as I think they were feeling out the market. So the few folks on here that bought into the brand generally got them at extra bargain prices as they were having sales and at the same time were offering an extra 10-20% discounts. Sometimes those discounts were only offered for short periods so you had to watch their site closely and pounce when the prices were lowest.

Even at their full listed prices these speakers are still a bargain and offer superb quality sound whether using for movies or music. If when stocks are available again see whether there is any sale on or any extra discount codes and be ready to buy quickly.
Thanks again for your help. I will be watching the website closely. One more question, do the front speakers need stands/bookshelf or are they floor standers?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The front speakers will need a stand or shelf as they are classed as mini towers.

I have my L&R on stands and the centre below the screen on a raised support.

There is a thread on the forums on the monoprice THX speakers you might care to read it's long but will give you an insight into the products. There is a pic of my front setup post number 67 to show what they look like on stands.

There is also a thread on the forums on the subwoofers.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Just to let you know some of the Mono kit is now in stock.

They have 10/12/15 subwoofers and THX 365T & 365C but no 265's at present. The prices though are all more expensive than last years prices although the 15" sub is still competitive as is the speakers when compared to the competition. Hopefully there will be some discounts available soon to entice you to buy.

a11exf

Standard Member
Just to let you know some of the Mono kit is now in stock.

They have 10/12/15 subwoofers and THX 365T & 365C but no 265's at present. The prices though are all more expensive than last years prices although the 15" sub is still competitive as is the speakers when compared to the competition. Hopefully there will be some discounts available soon to entice you to buy.
Thanks, I got an email about the front speakers earlier. It looks like the 15” sub has gone up by another £100. Thanks again for all your help

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Good to see that they sent you a mail, I just gave you a heads up just in case they may have overlooked to send you one.

Even though the 15" is over £1200 it still represents great value for a sub of it's quality and performance. Though to be honest a 12" sub from SVS/BK for example would be more than good enough if you are going to run at moderate volume and should cost about half the price of the 15" Mono.

I do love the bass myself and have 2 x 15" subs in my main theatre, but with those I can "blow the bloody doors off" if I want too:D

Just keep an eye out on the Monoprice site and hopefully there will be a sale or discount offered in the next week or so. Trouble is if you still have your heart set on these don't leave it too long as they may well sell out again at some stage and replacement stocks may take some time to replenish.

It's worth sending them an e-mail and saying if you were to buy a sub and speakers can they offer you a discount, they have been amenable to doing that in the past. Even a 10/15% discount could save you £200/300 which is not to be sniffed at.

a11exf

Standard Member
Good to see that they sent you a mail, I just gave you a heads up just in case they may have overlooked to send you one.

Even though the 15" is over £1200 it still represents great value for a sub of it's quality and performance. Though to be honest a 12" sub from SVS/BK for example would be more than good enough if you are going to run at moderate volume and should cost about half the price of the 15" Mono.

I do love the bass myself and have 2 x 15" subs in my main theatre, but with those I can "blow the bloody doors off" if I want too:D

Just keep an eye out on the Monoprice site and hopefully there will be a sale or discount offered in the next week or so. Trouble is if you still have your heart set on these don't leave it too long as they may well sell out again at some stage and replacement stocks may take some time to replenish.

It's worth sending them an e-mail and saying if you were to buy a sub and speakers can they offer you a discount, they have been amenable to doing that in the past. Even a 10/15% discount could save you £200/300 which is not to be sniffed at.
I will check out the other subs however, I would for the first time like a complete speaker system from one manufacturer. I do love the bass too and would rather have more than I need, than not enough.
I bet your system sounds fantastic.
I will send them an email to see if they can do me a deal, thanks for that.

a11exf

Standard Member
I have a Yamaha RX A2060 Av receiver to power the speakers. Which speaker terminals would I connect the atmos channel to? I am guessing it would be the front and rear presence or am I wrong?
5B5ACC57-4A67-4A5A-9A7F-C2B990E92484.jpeg

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Correct, use the presense channels then choose the settings in the setup menu to activate them correctly, use the configuration which states dolby enabled speakers.

a11exf

Standard Member
Correct, use the presense channels then choose the settings in the setup menu to activate them correctly, use the configuration which states dolby enabled speakers.
Fantastic, thanks. I have sent them an email asking if they would offer a discount, hopefully they will say yes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021